A song for August

Tools    

Round 1

1. The Tea Party - Heaven Coming Down
2. The Marcus King Band - Goodbye Carolina
3. Gentlemans Pistols - Lady Teaser
4. The Carpenters - We've Only Just Begun
5. PJ Harvey - A Perfect Day Elise (demo)
6. Steve Wariner - You Can Dream of Me
7. Meat Beat Manifesto - Mindstream
8. Taffy - I Love My Radio
9. Ennio Morricone - 'La Leggenda del Pianista Sull Oceano'
10. DMX - Ruff Ryder's Anthem

Just completed a second listen. Ranking aside, there's really nothing I hated. The backend of my list is all very, very close.

Some thoughts, from bottom to top...

DMX - "Ruff Ryders Anthem"
This is probably at the bottom only on the basis of me not being much of a rap/hip hop guy. I mean, I like some stuff like Eminem, but it's not a genre I go back to often. Still, I liked the rhythm and the riff, and the energy DMX put to it, even if the vocals seemed at times too unpolished.

Ennio Morricone - "La Leggenda del Pianista Sull Oceano'
It's certainly a lovely tune and I really like all the melodies, but much like rap/hip hop, instrumental and classical music is another "genre" I enjoy a lot, but that I don't really go often to.

Taffy - "I Love My Radio"
I'll admit that on my first listen, I laughed and thought "stupid song" But it's certainly an earworm. Very 80s, synth-heavy and peppy, almost to the point of parody, but it's fun.

Meat Beat Manifesto - "Mindstream"
This one started really strong for me. Liked the rhythm and the beat. I'm still beating my head because the singer's voice reminds me of someone that I just can't place, but whatever. Towards the second half of the song, it was feeling a bit repetitive, which put it down a couple of notches for me.

Steve Wariner - "You Can Dream of Me"
This is an inoffensive song. It's cliche, but it's not bad. I like the melodies and it was overall a pleasant listen.

PJ Harvey - "A Perfect Day Elise (demo)"
My wife is a huge fan of PJ Harvey, so I've heard my fair share of songs, even if for some reason, I don't go back often to her. Still, this has pretty much all the markings of her style and I love her voice. I dig it, even though I have slight issues with some of the sound effects she uses, and I think the song lacked a proper climax.

The Carpenters - "We've Only Just Begun"
This was a beautiful song. Even though I grew up in the 80s and 90s, at this point in my life, I find myself digging a lot of 70s stuff. This has a really catchy tune and the dual melodies are really great.

Gentlemans Pistol - "Lady Teaser"
This was definitely my jam. I liked the riff and the rhythm. The voice took a bit to get used to, but loved the music and the way the guitars sounded together.

The Marcus King Band - "Goodbye Carolina"
This was a clear favorite for me as soon as I heard it. Loved the voice, great music, and really dug the way the song builds up. I can see myself listen to this often, or even seeking more of their stuff.

The Tea Party - "Heaven Coming Down"
My choice, obviously. This is a band that an Internet friend recommended to me back in the 90s and this quickly turned into my favorite song of them. Love the singer's grave voice, the melodic guitars and the beat of the drums. It's a song that feels very emotional and haunting. Love it.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I was joking with my comment I have no issues with how things turn out, and like you, I appreciate the opportunity to listen/discover new stuff with these things. I'm at a point in my life right now where more often than not, I end up listening to the same things I was listening 20 years ago, instead of exploring new things.

I also listen to mostly the same music that I've been listening to for years, but that's because most of the music that I like isn't played on the radio in my area. We don't have any country music radio stations anymore, and most of the current country music that I've been able to find is very different from the kind of country music that I grew up listening to. And the radio station's version of "easy listening" music on the radio isn't what I would consider "easy listening" music.

All voted so without further ado.....

1st - The Carpenters - We've Only Just Begun (76 pts)

2nd - A Perfect Day Elise (demo) - PJ Harvey (71 pts)
3rd - The Marcus King Band - Goodbye Carolina (67 pts)
4th - Gentlemans Pistols - Lady Teaser (62 pts)
5th - Taffy - I Love My Radio (58 pts)
6th - Ennio Morricone - 'La Leggenda Del Pianista Sull Oceano' (46 pts)
7th - Meat Beat Manifesto - Mindstream (44 pts)
8th - Steve Wariner - You Can Dream Of Me (43 pts)
9th - The Tea Party - Heaven Coming Down (42 pts)
10th - DMX - Ruff Ryder's Anthem (41 pts)

Grats to Speling on getting the first tune through to the Final

Round two up in about an hour and a half...

1. The Adults - Nothing To Lose
  2. Elle King - Good Thing Gone
  3. Active Child - Hanging On
  4. YG - My N*gga
  5. Motorhead & Girlschool - Please Don't Touch
  6. Lorde - Green Light
  7. Lorde - Tennis Court
  8. MGMT - Time to Pretend
  9. El Gran Combo - El Caballo Pelotero
  10. Neil Diamond - In Ensenada
  11. Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult - A Beseechment Twofold
  12. Sons of Raphael - Yeah Yeah Yeah

My R3 nom:
Anjali - Kali Came

*Can y'all pls check the above vid will play where you are (no need to listen to it, just need to know whether it will play or not). If not I'll have to choose another nom as there's no acceptable alt vid for backup (the one from the record label stupidly cuts short). Thanks.

Yay! My nomination won!

It's a good thing I didn't pick that Clive Dunn song Chypmunk hates.
Congrats! That Carpenters song was a nice mood-lifter for me on Monday.

"Repetitive" seems to be a common criticism of my song. A lot of my favorite songs have a decent bit of repetition now that I think about it, but I'll try to keep it to a minimum if that's not this gang's cup of tea. Repetition puts me in a state of blissful euphoria when it's done well, which I think Mindstream does.

I'm a little afraid to check out that Clive Dunn song. Should I?

Well, I actually kinda liked it.
I was expecting something as dreadful as Brokencyde's Freaxxx (do NOT listen to this), but I found it rather sweet.

Puts black mark against Torgo in the spreadsheet

(it's an ok song, even if rather twee, just a running joke in my house)

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
*Can y'all pls check the above vid will play where you are (no need to listen to it, just need to know whether it will play or not). If not I'll have to choose another nom as there's no acceptable alt vid for backup (the one from the record label stupidly cuts short). Thanks.
you are appropriating MY southern slang with" y'all." don't see ME throwing things around like.... like..... wtf ever y'all say wherever the hell you are.

but yeah, the link worked for me.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Motorhead & Girlschool - Please Don't Touch - An old favourite which, at first look at this list, will end up on top of my list.

Sons of Raphael - Yeah Yeah Yeah - My last choice was long forgotten whereas this is about as new as I know. Only heard it about a month or so ago. They're a band very much with their own thing going but I just instantly fell for this song the moment I heard it.

Elle King - Good Thing Gone - I couldn't get into this to start with. I don't know why, it just wasn't working for me. But it won me around after a couple of minutes. Makes me think of Janis.

MGMT - Time to Pretend - Straight into this one. No idea if it'll grow or die with repeated listens (it does feel like it'll be one of the other) but for now I like it.

The Adults - Nothing To Lose - I like this. It's a good start.

Active Child - Hanging On - I liked this a lot more before the vocals. I think as an instrumental piece I'd prefer it.

Lorde - Green Light - This is pretty good. Really like the chorus.

YG - My N*gga - It's a nice groove, but that's all. Really repetative (which isn't a bad thing per se) but when it's just one word, it can be troublesome.

El Gran Combo - El Caballo Pelotero - I like this kind of thing when it starts, but am often ready for it to stop by the end. No different here.

Lorde - Tennis Court - Two Lorde song on this list. I've not listened to her before so this is all new to me. I prefer the other one.

Neil Diamond - In Ensenada - I quite like Neil Diamond because my mum liked him so I heard him in the 70's, early 80's. I find his voice familiar and comforting but this isn't one that I really like.

Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult - A Beseechment Twofold - As is often the case with this kind of track, I like the guitar and drums but the vocal kills it for me. If I could just get past that there's a whole new genre open to me.

you are appropriating MY southern slang with" y'all." don't see ME throwing things around like.... like..... wtf ever y'all say wherever the hell you are.
Tell you what, you can have usage of our 'animal', as in "Jaysus, it's feckin' animal in there!" for somewhere that's really busy.

but yeah, the link worked for me.
Ta, appresh!

A system of cells interlinked
Round 2 RANKS

1. Lorde - Green Light
2. MGMT - Time to Pretend
3. Active Child - Hanging On
4. Elle King - Good Thing Gone
5. Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult - A Beseechment Twofold
6. Lorde - Tennis Court
7. Motorhead & Girlschool - Please Don't Touch
8. The Adults - Nothing To Lose
9. El Gran Combo - El Caballo Pelotero
10. Neil Diamond - In Ensenada
11. Sons of Raphael - Yeah Yeah Yeah
12. YG - My N*gga

No time for comments today, as I am super busy at work. Not that I would ever listen to songs or chat on MoFo at work, mind you! Nope. Not me.

Chyp - I can play the Anjali vid.