Halo Movie??

Tools    

There's treachery afoot!!!
The one thing that I like is the fact that Alex Garland ("28 days later") is going to be writing the script.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Originally Posted by Conformist
I am not sure about that, I mean there have been some good atempts,
Examples:
Tomb Raider
Resident Evil
and few other

I mean yeah there have been some flops I mean who can forget Mario Brothers, MY GOD DID THAT SUCK, but yeah I dont know I feel like if this movie is done well it could possibly be a very good one!
I actually really hated Tomb Raider and Resident Evil was kinda okay.

I liked Super Mario Brothers. It's so cheesey! You have to love Dennis Hopper as King Koopa, cause They had to have paid him in Marijuana to play this part. lol.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

This is a very good thing, indeed it is. Jackson , i think, is a director that will take the project seriously. The article says he is as big as a fan of halo as he was a fan of lotr. I see him as a passionate guy who makes the movies he wants to make. I mean king kong, kinda of out of generic movies we have been seeing this year, which could be a good thing. The chances of this flick becoming one for the show and not the money is pretty high.

Into reply to all those who have said they absolutley loafed Movie based games, be prepared to be amazed:confus ed:

I only skimmed it, Peter jacksons producing, and its a good thing.

One thing we should all remember is that he isn't directing like he did fot LOTR or King Kong, he's producing. True, the fact that Jackson is involved will make this movie better but what I'm happiest about it that the WETA (The guys that did all the visual effects for LOTR) are going to be working on it. Bungie Studois had this to say:

"Yes. THE Peter Jackson, Executive Producing the Halo film. Needless to say I and the rest of Bungie are positively incontinent. But what really knocks us on our asses is we’re also getting the combined talent of the mighty men and women of WETA in the bargain. From fabricating Covenant weapons to building life-sized Forerunner structures to accomplishing shot after shot of complex live-action/CG integration – simply put, there’s no group of people we’d rather have realize the Halo universe on screen."

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by Wonder Boy
but what I'm happiest about it that the WETA (The guys that did all the visual effects for LOTR) are going to be working on it.
Agreed, as long as they don't take too many liberties with the Halo design scheme. Like they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Ive heard that Halo might be directed by Ridley Scott. If thats the case Im guessing that Halo might actually be a decent movie as long as Master Chief remains as the main character. Do any of you think the movie might have a story revolving around the Arbiter since he played a large part in Halo 2 as well?

I really hope not when I was playing as him during the game I hated it.

sorry for not reading the tread first but i read some where that have been talks of a halo movie

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by solarius_king_of_the_sun
sorry for not reading the tread first but i read some where that have been talks of a halo movie
You should really read the thread first.

Guillermo del Toro To Direct Halo?

The word racing around the Halo Movie Project right now is that Hellboy director is the front runner to get the job and has actually already been in negotiations for the spot.

This is interesting news for a couple of reasons. But first, here's what the good folks over at M&C had to say on the issue:
They say, that at a junket promoting ‘King Kong’ in New York, word started circulating that it’s going to be Guillermo Del Toro in the director’s chair for ‘Halo’, and that he’s currently in negotiations for the job. Del Toro could be a good fit. He’s a high caliber, big name director, of the type Microsoft and Halo game maker Bungie have insisted they’re going to get. His horror roots should serve him well in ‘Halo’s’ alien infested universe too.

The director they have chosen is newcomer, "Neil Blomkamp" who's best known for his
and

I just saw these videos recently and he definately looks like the right guy to do the Halo movie. His experience and knowledge in Visual Effects will definately be an advantage to bringing to life the Halo game.
If you watch his short film, "Alive in Joberg", you can already see how he's already done the similar theme of "aliens not being wanted" and how greatly he portrays the military response to a crisis....which is exactly what this Halo movie theme is about. Minus the robots.
After I saw the "Citroen: Alive with Technology" Commercial, I was also wondering, why didn't they pick him for the "Transformers Movie?!!" If anyone's noticed by now with the Transformers Movie, Michael Bay has not been being loyal to his fanbase and has altered greatly the designs of the autobots and decepticons, which are barely reminescent of the past original designs. You can see that here and a pretty good description here of what Bay intends to do. But, back to Halo.
Another change is that Alex Garland is no longer writing the screenplay, rather he has been replaced because apparently the studio didn't like his version of Halo.
With Neil on board as director, Peter Jackson as executive producer, and the WETA FX Department doing the props and special effects, I am quite certain that this upcoming 'Halo' movie will satisfy mostly all Halo fans and other sci-fi/action movie lovers....but we still have to see how the story turns out by the new screenwriter!

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by MOVIE_bug
The director they have chosen is newcomer, "Neil Blomkamp" who's best known for his
and
I want to know why this guy was chosen to direct Halo.

Another change is that Alex Garland is no longer writing the screenplay, rather he has been replaced because apparently the studio didn't like his version of Halo.
He already wrote the screenplay. They paid him a million clams to write it. I don't understand this, either. Why is his script supposedly getting tossed in the garbage? Bungie loved it. The studio greenlighted it. Why the change? And who the hell is D.B. Weiss?!

With Neil on board as director, Peter Jackson as executive producer, and the WETA FX Department doing the props and special effects, I am quite certain that this upcoming 'Halo' movie will satisfy mostly all Halo fans and other sci-fi/action movie lovers....but we still have to see how the story turns out by the new screenwriter!
I don't know, dude. Alex Garland is a fantastic writer who's definitely more visionary than 'yes man'. They paid him a million bucks to write a screenplay that was apparently really sharp and exciting, and they approached Guillermo del Toro - a fairly impressive, growing director in his own right - who would have been more than appropriate to direct Halo. And now, with del Toro opting to direct the Hellboy sequel instead, it seems like the energy that was surging through this project has now diminished. I mean, who the hell are Neill Blomkamp and D.B. Weiss? They're relative nobodies. And now they're going to be the driving force behind Halo?

I can't help but think that the studio is trying to strong arm this project into something it shouldn't be. Blomkamp's meager experience with 3d animation suggests that the studio wants this thing to be an effects ride, and not much else. I'm guessing Garland's script didn't adhere to that (oh jeez, look at all this unnecessary character development and dialogue!), and that's why they ditched it. What saddens me is that this unknown Weiss, who may very well have been handpicked by some money-hungry studio stooge, is now apparently writing the Ender's Game screenplay as well. And what was all that about Denzel Washington playing Master Chief?

Maybe I'm wrong. I really hope I am. But it seems like most major studios look at the video game industry as a veritable sandbox in which cheap, action-packed, destined-to-bomb, make-a-quick-buck summer "blockbusters" can be forged. We've got plenty of fine examples (Alone in the Dark, Bloodrayne, and Silent Hill, just to name a few) that illustrate just how little studios care about trying to do them justice. Even with Peter Jackson producing, I fear that Halo is nearing a similar fate.

I thought games came from movies...not movies from games.

Well, it may seem that way...but I think recently the film industry's been REALLY dependent on games...because with the popularity in games, they can adapt it into a movie, bringing along the whole fanbase, and getting them to hype about seeing the movie.
The first "movie" i can say that was based on a game....that I know...is super mario bros. but then again...
in the late 80's, early 90's TV was big on video games.....they liked to make the leading video game star have his own show. or at least that's what i remember like Sonic, Mario Bros. and Link. They all had their own tv shows from what i remember, whether or not they were successful.
So....i dont think movies adapting games is a new thing really. just its been REALLY common now because of the popularity in so many varieties of games and the lack of creativity, i guess, in the film industry.
So that's what i wanted to say to your comment. In conclusion i guess, movies are more made from the game, than the game is made from the movie. Even though the game is a way of merchandising and popularizing the movie.

A movie based on a video game is too hard to be done. Most of the times that something like that is done ... the movie is a disaster, for example The Doom movie ... On the other hand, some video games based movies are very good, for example Resident Evil Apocalypse. But anyway, if they decide to make a movie based on ' Halo ' I think that they will have a lot of work to do ...

Originally Posted by Antoine Lemonne
A movie based on a video game is too hard to be done. Most of the times that something like that is done ... the movie is a disaster, for example The Doom movie ... On the other hand, some video games based movies are very good, for example Resident Evil Apocalypse. But anyway, if they decide to make a movie based on ' Halo ' I think that they will have a lot of work to do ...
lol as much as i agree with you that movies based on games are "generally" bad ones, I don't think you should be having any say since your statement is completely hypocritical........like Resident Evil Apocalypse being very good? are you kidding me? that was terrible...even worse than the first.....so it irks me that you have the audacity to sit here and say that a movie based on a video game is too hard to be done....sure to be disaster....and THEN turn your statement completely around and say that something like Resident Evil Apocalypse was a very good movie. PLEASE!.... just think it through next time before you go around criticizing in general.
I agree 'Halo' is gonna need alot of work to be made the best it can be...but i think it'll turn out good...it's still too early to think about how it's gonna do in the box office because there's nothing as of yet to base it on.....so we'll just have to wait til something comes about.

i think that the halo movie will be very good when it comes out.

I'd certainly be interested in seeing a film version of "Halo" as I've always admired the games etc.

I've heard a lot about Halo the movie and should definately be coming out, I just hope they do a decent job as so many other game to movie titles have sucked (the worst being Street Fighter - what the hell was that!!!)

Also I've heard that Peter Jackson is playing a role in making the movie.