Worst Sci-Fi Movie Ever!

Tools    

First of all, it hardly seems fair to pick on the Plan 9 from Outer Spaces and Manos: Hands of Fates out there. They were drive-in schlock with no chance of ever being more. Same with Roger Corman's AIP of the '70s and Troma and the direct-to-video cheese of the '80s and beyond. I think you have to pick from mainstream stuff, Hollywood actually throwing money into the pot and trying to make entertaining if not intelligent Sci-Fi only to fail as if Edward Wood or L. Ron Hubbard were actually involved in the project from the get-go. So that's why I'm a-gonna pick...

Highlander 2: The Quickening (1991 - Russell Mulchahy)

The original Highlander is no masterpiece, but it's great B-movie fun for sure, and has some quite clever directorial flourishes here and there. The first sequel is so awful in every single way, it's difficult to believe most of the same folks involved in this celluloid attrocity were on the first flick as well. Not only is it just dumber than a box of rocks, but it seems to take glee in completely demolishing every bit of mythology and all the ideas from the original. I'll admit there wasn't much of anywhere to go after Conner became the last Immortal, but it had an internal logic to it, and having to break that should have signaled them to quit while they were ahead and relish in the decent Sci-Fi cult film they had fashioned, and move on to something else. But nooooooooo. Every single thing about The Quickening is piss-poor, especially the editing, which seems as if it were done by that proverbial roomfull of monkeys trying to type out Hamlet...only high on blue-flake cocaine too, and going mad from syphilis.

So Highlander 2 gets my vote, not only because it is irredeemably awful (and it is), but because it callously trashes all the things that were actually fun about the first Highlander, and in the process sullies it's marginally good name forever. Highlander III: The Sorcerer is every bit as retarted as The Quickening, but by then it didn't even matter any more. Higlander as an interesting if silly idea was long dead.

THERE should have BEen ONLY ONE!
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Holden you saw Alien Vs. Predator? if you did do you think its one of the worst Sci-Fi Movie?

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
The first sequel is so awful in every single way, it's difficult to believe most of the same folks involved in this celluloid attrocity were on the first flick as well. Not only is it just dumber than a box of rocks, but it seems to take glee in completely demolishing every bit of mythology and all the ideas from the original. I'll admit there wasn't much of anywhere to go after Conner became the last Immortal, but it had an internal logic to it, and having to break that should have signaled them to quit while they were ahead and relish in the decent Sci-Fi cult film they had fashioned, and move on to something else. But nooooooooo. Every single thing about The Quickening is piss-poor, especially the editing, which seems as if it were done by that proverbial roomfull of monkeys trying to type out Hamlet...only high on blue-flake cocaine too, and going mad from syphilis.
Blue-flake cocaine? Mmm, the breakfast of champions.

Anyway. What you said about the flick: Yeah, yes, and definitely.

AvP was bad but not the worst

however i cant think of any movie in my mind that stands out as the worst

Battlefield Earth: A Saga of the Year 3000 maybe, i dunno gotta think about it

i have to say the worst Sci-Fi film would have to be A.I.(Artificial Intelligence) that movie was just horrible.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
I liked Alien Vs. Predator, it's one of my guilty pleasures and i've been been a fan of both franchises.

Now " Battlefield Earth" definitely holds the honor of being the worst sci-fi movie including "Dune".

I would have to go with "Battlefield Earth"

I saw AvP and it was OK but it could have been a lot better.

Oh, and thanks for reminding me, Boba: Star Wars, Episode II: Attack of the Clones would have to be way high on my list. Not in the top five maybe, but definitely top ten material.

not much of a sci-fi fan but the worst ive seen...

any highlander-just some down right bad acting followed by even worse directing
Alien Vs Predator- yea lots of hype and no deliver....what a suprise. Im happy to say i didnt see this movie on my own free will

Night City It's simple; Cheesy alien, laser eyes, helpless city dwellers.

"I could kiss you,you bitch."
Dungeons&Dragons

I have to just push back my choice a little. I am going to have to agree, and say that Battlefield Earth would have to be the worst out there. with 2nd place as Alien vs Predator / AVP

There are those who call me...Tim.
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Oh, and thanks for reminding me, Boba: Star Wars, Episode II: Attack of the Clones would have to be way high on my list. Not in the top five maybe, but definitely top ten material.
If I had a top 5 that would go in there, but I haven't seen enough Sci Fi films that I didn't like to get a big enough list.

...but the Planet of the Apes remake would go there.

Wow....Hold on a sec.

AvP was not THAT BAD. The story was quite weak, but the action and special fx were amazing. Anyways, that would NOT be the worst sci fi film ever. That would may be on like 20th or something lower, but not the worst!

The WORST EVER HAS TO BE BATTLEFIELD:EARTH

THEN THERE IS "PITCH BLACK" and "THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDIK."(with Vin Diesel) <----those would have to come in like 2nd.....