Marvel's The Punisher (Netflix)

Tools    

This might just do nobody any good.
Looks fun but I’m weary of Netflix/Marvel shows, specially after Defenders.

I got 4 episodes in and hit the dreaded dead end that these shows all seem to have (some sooner than others).

No matter how hard they try, I cannot care for detectives this and that. C’mon, it’s called The Punisher for a reason and Bernthal and the guy playing Microchip have great chemistry.

Ugh. I’ll keep watching tomorrow. Maybe. Mudbound is out too and if not careful I’ll forget to continue and Godless will premiere as well.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I got 4 episodes in and hit the dreaded dead end that these shows all seem to have (some sooner than others).

No matter how hard they try, I cannot care for detectives this and that. C’mon, it’s called The Punisher for a reason and Bernthal and the guy playing Microchip have great chemistry.

Ugh. I’ll keep watching tomorrow. Maybe. Mudbound is out too and if not careful I’ll forget to continue and Godless will premiere as well.
Completely did not realize Mudbound was NF. Even with the interview saying so on NPR. UGH my mind is slipping too far.

Thanks for the reconnect on that one.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I try to watch the Marvel series and end up wishing they were movies, so they would be over in 2 hours.

As expected, I forgot about and started the second season of The Exorcist instead. There’s also that Tom Hardy show from FX that I missed in between Legion and Fargo.

Sorry, Frank.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Taboo is the 2nd season I need. It is a crazy mess of a fever dream that I so enjoyed.

This is awesome, it has that middle zone that seems kinda long like all the other netflix marvel, but it's worth it
Best of all, you don't have to have seen all the others to get it, I recommended it to a friend that knows nothing about comics, she's really enjoying it
I'm halfway through episode 13, it's been a ride. It's pretty ballsy with it's themes firstly, absolutely brutal secondly

“I was cured, all right!”
So far this series has been such a huge disappointment (5 episodes in).
It was 5 episodes of pure s**t. Let's change the name of this show and call "Dinah Madani and the haunted soldier"...
There's more 8 episodes...

Yeah, I don't know how to feel about the series.

On the one hand, I'm grateful to it for getting me to like Jon Bernthal (I had actually waited to bingewatch this series because I needed to be ready to watch him for that long. ) and I love the Punisher, but on the other hand some stuff was just plain awful. I get why some dramatic choices were made (like a talky Punisher please don't make him more touchy feely, the Castle-Russo relationship, etc) but Madani was terrible. I just wanted her to be killed off.

Surprised Punisher wasn't universally liked last season. I dont think Bernthal is the ideal choice to play Frank Castle, but he's a competent actor and isnt outright bad.

Season 2 coming January 18, 2019 Btw, I wished Netflix canceled Jessica Jones instead of Daredevil.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190113_183044.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	388.8 KB
ID:	50971  

I've watched five episodes of season two now and I have pretty much the same complaints that I had in previous season.

1) Frank Castle isn't supposed to be a grunting caveman
2) Frank should wage war on crime, not wait until he gets mixed up in something and then defend himself (and the girl)
3) Frank should be about the results, not fairness (i.e. if the bad guys don't have guns he should still come armed and when someone attacks him with a knife he should go for the kill immediately)

I've been disappointed by The Punisher (both seasons) but will endure till the end because Frank Castle is my favorite Marvel character.

Season 2 and I'm up to episode 8. I have to say it was genius to have the main villain Billy "Jigsaw" Russo get legit amnesia. It so adds another dimension to his character and the stories depth.

I want to comment on the Jon Bernthal Punisher......its a different interpretation of Frank Castle, the essence of the character isn't changed, but actually it's a more realistic view on what he'd really be like. Bernthals playing a Billy badass jarhead with PTSD. The Punisher from the comics was waaaaay more dangerous, and honestly was the quiet type. He had a presence, no words necessary. Netflix Punisher can take a beating almost like Marv from Sin City, but that's the only superhero quality displayed. His wartime mentality does make him look plain crazy at times.

In comics The Punisher was cool cause he was just a normal man killing supervillains and organizations. Could Netflix Punisher take out Spider-Man with one shot (mercy bullet) like he did in Amazing Spider-Man Annual #15? Aw hell naw! Frank Miller wrote and drew that one btw. Sure I'd prefer my Punisher to have more presence on Netflix, but its more realistic.

I just finished episode 10 and throughout the ending they played a cover of Fortunate Son (originally by Creedence Clearwater Revival). Cat Powers is her name. There's been a ton of covers on the song, but none sound like this or display this haunting unique sound. Exceptional. I'm going to post this in my music thread too.