Performances from actors you think are better, but are less popular

Tools    

The truth is in here
I saw Little Big Man, and I thought it was really great. What stood out to me was how much more I liked Faye Dunaway here than in Arthur Penn's other movie Bonnie And Clyde, which I honestly consider an overrated performance. I know she played a wild and crazy character, but thought she was trying too hard. As Mrs. Pendrake however, she was perfect. She really gets the motherly, yet also very sensual energy down. I wish she'd been in it more actually.

I like Faye Dunaway in the Musketeers films.

I reckon Gary Oldman has a few that fit this description. As to exactly which ones are less popular, or less known, but better I couldn't say.

Yeah, I always considered Dunaway to be a medium weight actress, often seeming self conscious, although I liked her well enough in Three Days of the Condor, and also Chinatown.

John Hawkes was superb in Winter's Bone, but all the attention wen to J-Lo, who I thought was miscast and not believable. Hawkes is always superb in his characterizations (e.g. in "Three Billboards"), but generally is relegated to a back seat in the bus. He's one of those guys who, if better looking, would probably be a big star.

~Doc

John Hawkes was superb in Winter's Bone, but all the attention wen to J-Lo, who I thought was miscast and not believable. Hawkes is always superb in his characterizations (e.g. in "Three Billboards"), but generally is relegated to a back seat in the bus. He's one of those guys who, if better looking, would probably be a big star.
He really impressed me in The Sessions.

Many actors are character actors playing lots of lesser rôles & never taking a lead rôle. Chris Cooper, for one. Love him to pieces & enjoy his rôle in anything even if I don’t like the movie. Jesse Plemons also springs to mind. Love him in anything.

Agree with above re John Hawkes. Terrific actor.

Yeah, I always considered Dunaway to be a medium weight actress, often seeming self conscious, although I liked her well enough in Three Days of the Condor, and also Chinatown.

~Doc

I think Chinatown is Faye Dunaway's best performance.