Worst Best Picture Oscar?

Tools    

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
What the hell happened to The Great Ziegfeld?
Okay Mark, I dislike musicals.

Gigi isn't in there either.

Midnight Cowboy -
= 9.5/10
Platoon -
= 8/10
How Green Was My Valley -
= 7.5/10
In the Heat of the Night -
= 7.5/10

Shakespeare in Love -
= 7.5/10

Kramer vs. Kramer -
+ = 6.7/10

Tom Jones -
= 8/10

My Fair Lady -
= 8.5/10

Oliver! -
= 7.5/10

The Sting -
= 7.7/10

Rocky -
= 7.5/10

The Last Emperor -
= 7/10

Driving Miss Daisy -
= 7/10

The Return Of The King -
= 9.5/10

Whatever.

Sorry...
This.

Not a big fan of Slumdog either but I wouldn't call it garbage, that's a little over the top. It wasn't a great film is all. I'd still give it

I loved How Green Was My Valley. Wonderful movie. I probably never would have seen it if it weren't for the lists.

There've been some real clunkers over the years, but I think Oscar reached its nadir in 04-05 with Million Dollar Baby and Crash winning back-to-back.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
A find it a tad disappointing that so many people can't seem to appreciate Million Dollar Baby. Crash is a love it or hate it film, and I really understand people's varying opinions on that one but Million Dollar Baby is a solid film to me.

A find it a tad disappointing that so many people can't seem to appreciate Million Dollar Baby. Crash is a love it or hate it film, and I really understand people's varying opinions on that one but Million Dollar Baby is a solid film to me.
So please explain why you feel that Million Dollar Baby deserved an oscar over The Aviator?

Million Dollar Baby is a good film with solid performances but it's not half as great as The Aviator was.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I can't comment as to why it deserved it over The Aviator, reason being I haven't seen The Aviator. It's arguable that every movie that won for Best Picture wasn't certainly the best of that year. The only few that I don't hear too many people complain over are One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Casablanca, and even that is debatable.

Platoon with a vengeance.
The Silence of the Hams.
Forrest Gump.
Braveheart
Titanic
Gladiator
Chicago.
Million Dollar Bubby.
Slumdog Millionare Dollar Bubby.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Ok, I can see Titanic, I really wanted L.A. Confidential to win, I still go back to that movie to this day, and I've only seen Titanic all the way through once.

But why all the hate for Chicago? I loved that movie. It was smart, funny, had great songs and acting...I just can't see how so many people dislike it.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Shakespeare In Love- Saving Private Ryan should have won.

I liked Titanic, but I prefer As Good As It Gets.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
But why all the hate for Chicago? I loved that movie. It was smart, funny, had great songs and acting...I just can't see how so many people dislike it.
Umm, it's a musical, that genre which seems to scare "macho men" because it's "more realistic" if some guy flies around shooting people with guns than if he actually just sings and dances to express his true emotions.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Umm, it's a musical, that genre which seems to scare "macho men" because it's "more realistic" if some guy flies around shooting people with guns than if he actually just sings and dances to express his true emotions.

Much better if women are shooting people.

Shakespeare In Love- Saving Private Ryan should have won.
The Thin Red Line should have won.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

What? It is clear that this masterpiece should have won every award in the galaxy:

What? It is clear that this masterpiece should have won every award in the galaxy:

What I hated Waterboy

Chicago was another one that was real bad.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Compared to James Jones' original novel, the film of The Thin Red Line is absolute garbage. Saving Private Ryan may have been overly earnest, but at least it wasn't psuedo-poetic drivel. Just my two cents.