Top 5 Westerns

Tools    

Mother! Oh, God! Mother! Blood!
Originally Posted by Holden Pike

Hombre (1967) starring Paul Newman and Richard Boone should definitely be on your to-see list as well, and another oft-forgotten great modern Western is Lonely Are the Brave (1962) with Kirk Douglas and Walter Matthau. Budd Boetticher has a group of stark and psychological Westerns including The Tall T, Ride Lonesome, Decision at Sundown and Seven Men From Now (all starring Randolph Scott), and Anthony Mann has a bunch of offbeat good ones to seek out too, including The Man From Laramie, The Naked Spur, Bend in the River, The Far Country and Winchester '73 (all starring Jimmy Stewart in non-comedic mode) and The Tin Star with Hank Fonda & Tony Perkins.
Thanks for these additions (I knew you'd come through with more suggestions ).

Of the films you mentioned above, I've seen The Man From Laramie and The Far Country. I liked The Far Country better, but probably only because Walter Brennen is in it.
NEW (as of 1/24/05): Quick Reviews #10

shane
true grit
blazing saddles
frisco kid
dances with wolves
cat ballou
my darling clementine
man who shot liberty valence
butch cassidy and the sundance kid

I couldn't decide on just 5...

The Last of the Mohicans (why is this considered a “western”?)
Dances With Wolves
Once Upon a Time in the West
The Outlaw Josey Wales
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Valdez is Coming
The Long Riders
Quigley Down Under
Pale Rider
The Magnificent Seven
Unforgiven
Westworld

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
The Last of the Mohicans (why is this considered a “western”?)
Well....it isn't. Just because the frippin' IMDb throws something up as a general label, don't make it so.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The Good The Bad and The Ugly
Once Upon A Time In The West
Unforgiven
The Outlaw Josey Wales
The Wild Bunch

I must become Caligari..!
1. Unforgiven [1992]
2. Il Buono, il brutto, il cattivo [1966]
3. C'era una volta il West [1968]
4. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid [1969]
5. The Magnificent Seven [1960]

It's a god-awful small affair, To the girl with, the mousy hair, But her mummy is yelling "No", and her daddy has told her to go, But her friend is nowhere to be seen, Now she walks through her sunken dream, To the seat with the clearest view, And she's hooked to the silver screen, But the film is a saddening bore, For she's lived it ten times or more...

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Another great western is The Hired Hand with Peter Fonda and Warren Oates. It does a wonderful job of showing a candid look at the relationship of two men who ride together. No nothing homosexual in it or anything like that, but it's an interesting concept that few westerns have looked at as well. For instance one of the men chooses his friend instead of his wife, because he put his loyalty and friendship above the love of a woman. It's a great film and sadly you never hear of it, probably cause it seems no one has seen it. Peter Fonda directed it, and don't worry from my description that it doesn't have any gun play or the type of thing we would expect from most westerns cause it certainly do. If ever you run across a copy, and wanna see a completely creative take on the genre, definitely check this one out.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

Well....it isn't. Just because the frippin' IMDb throws something up as a general label, don't make it so.

Thank you… this is one of my little pet peeves… every time I search for westerns on the net, Mochicans pops up in the mix… I guess since it has Indians and was west of the Atlantic, they consider it a western…

Fav top 5 in no particular order are:

1. Rio Bravo
2. Two Mules for sister Sarah
3. True Grit
4. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)
5. Unforgiven

I like most of Eastwoods westerns, but hard to make a top 5 list. I have to say I did enjoy Tombstone, but granted ...it really isnt a typical western.

1.the Good the Bad and the Ugly
2.Once Upon a Time in the West
3.the Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
4.Unforgivin
5.Tombstone
And found he was eating his shoe.

1. High Plains Drifter
2. Once Upon A Time In the West
3. The Oulaw Josey Wales
4. True Grit
5. The Good, the Bad and The Ugly

Also, I think Tombstone is a cool western,
but I think the same thing about Billy The Kid vs. Dracula.

Actually, I've seen lots and lots of Westerns, and Tombstone is just plain and simple a steaming piece of *****...Western or otherwise. It's an embarassingly awful hack job, the only minor highlight being Val Kilmer's anachronistic oddball performance from the planet Mars, which is totally incongruous with the hamfisted goings on and feels like it belongs in another movie.

Tombstone is a Western for folks who don't know or like Westerns. Anyone who really enjoys it (or the two Young Guns flicks or American Outlaws or Texas Rangers or Raimi's The Quick & the Dead) really shouldn't ever watch a real Western. Ever. When I see Tombstone in the Westerns section of a video store, I feel the same way I do when I see frippin' Kenny G in the Jazz section of a music store: it just plain don't belong.

Not that I have any strong feelings on the subject.

Sorry, I have to disagree with you there. As far as I can find Tombstone came about as close to reality of the lawlessness of the frontier of any representation up until Deadwood. The cast was excellent , the setting and costumes very well done AND they managed to stay reasonably close to the actual events. It is in my opinion light years ahead of the woeful "Wyatt Earp"

Top 5 All Time

The Searchers
Hombre
Red River
Tombstone
The Wild Bunch

Bad Morther****er
This is a tough on I sure do love a good western.
1. Shane
2. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
3. Unforgiven
4. High Noon
5. Once Upon a Time in the West
Justice will be served/ And the battle will rage/ This big dog will fight/ When you rattle his cage/ And you’ll be sorry that you messed with the U.S. of A./ Cause we`ll put a boot in your ass/ It`s the American way.
Courtesy Of The Red, White & Blue - Toby Keith

You guys covered all of the really good ones, so ill toss in a few others in no particular order:

ALL of Clint Eastwoods Films

Silverado
Maverick
Posse
Bad Girls
Zorro (western?)
Goin' South (jack nicholson )
The Missing

Unforgiven
The Wild Bunch
Once Upon A Time In The West
Rio Bravo
The Dollars Trilogy (C'mon, they have to count as one, right?)

Firstly, the question was best westerns right. Not bag the westerns others write down. That's just rude y'all. This isn't personal. You lot who are having your westerns bagged - who cares? You like 'em. I like any western that entertains me. People reckon "Brotherhood of the Wolf" blows. 'Its too long', 'Its french', 'its try hard american cinema'. Do I care? Negative. At least I can see past the dubbing. Which is quite good for a dub-job.
I have to say in terms of westerns -

The Dollars movies (yes SGT Kabukiman. as one.)
Tombstone
The Cowboys
Hang em high
Pale rider
Once upon a time in the west
Open range (I can see past Kevin Costner here.)
..to name a few, oh and Il Mio West with David Bowie (!) is a strangely likeable film too. In the same way you can't say no to Wayne's World. Kind of. I like it for some reason anyhow!
Stay Groovy. Oh, if anyone knows where I can get Il mio West (on DVD preferably) just holler. Thanks.

My Darling Clementine ('46)
The Wild Bunch ('69)
Once Upon A Time In The West ('68/9)
The Searchers ('56)
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (or Ride The High Country) ('62)

Many more...

So many good movies, so little time.
I think that is a great list Duck.

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

As Ol' Mose Harper would say: 'Thank you, thank you kindly'.