The Gnat's Top 100

→ in
Tools    

Lost in never never land
I had a difficult time cutting it down to a top 100, and I'm still debating it a little, but I have a feeling that I always will debate it some, so here goes how I'm currently looking at it.

100. Sin City (2005)

Marv: I love hitmen. No matter what you do to them, you don't feel bad.
A fun film with a good pulp style story and a wonderful use of color or lack there of.

99. Trois couleurs: Bleu (1993)

Julie Vignon: Now I have only one thing left to do: nothing. I don't want any belongings, any memories. No friends, no love. Those are all traps.
A well crafted film with depth in its ideas. Also uses color very nicely, mainly the color blue.

98. The Graduate (1967)

Mr. Braddock: Don't you think that idea is a little half-baked?
Benjamin: Oh no, Dad, it's completely baked.
A nice little jaunt in this comedy with some very solid acting performances and a well done story.

97. Lost in Translation (2003)

Bob: Can you keep a secret? I'm trying to organize a prison break. I'm looking for, like, an accomplice. We have to first get out of this bar, then the hotel, then the city, and then the country. Are you in or you out?
Charlotte: I'm in. I'll go pack my stuff.
Bob: I hope that you've had enough to drink. It's going to take courage.
Sophia Coppola, in my opinion, always makes films that are visually pleasing, and this one also has a solid story to it and a good performance by Bill Murray.

96. Psycho (1960)

Norman Bates: I think I must have one of those faces you can't help believing.
A great horror film. Less terrifying now then when it was originally released (most likely), but a very creepy and well done film by Hitchcock, one of his many successes.
I wish, I wish he'd go away."
-From Identity

Lost in never never land
95. Peices of April (2003)

Joy Burns: I only have one *nice* April memory. only one. She was about three or four. And she was sitting at the window. An she turned to me and said "oh mother don't you just love every day?"
A nice family coming together peice with solid characters and story. An entertaining and well made film.

94. Vertigo (1958)

Scottie: And then what did he do? Did he train you? Did he rehearse you? Did he tell you exactly what to do, what to say? You were a very apt pupil too, weren't you? You were a very apt pupil! Well, why did you pick on me? Why me?
Hitchcock's masterpeice, a brilliantly done film and one that I enjoyed quite well.

93. Pirates of the Caribbean (2003, 2006, 2007)

Barbossa: You're supposed to be dead!
Jack Sparrow: Am I not?
I like the whole trilogy with the weakest part being the second part. The first part is definitely going to be remembered for a while being it was so entertaining.

92. TMNT (2007)

April O'Niell: [observes Winters laying on floor] It's Winters.
Michelangelo: It looks more like fall to me.
This is a slick, high tech redo of a classic show. While it doesn't have the classic baddie, it does maintain the classic feel.

91. Pink Panther (1963)

Princess Dala: If I were my father, I'd have you tortured.
Sir Charles Lytton: No. If you were your father, I doubt very much if I would have kissed you.
Blake Edwards first Pink Panther masterpeices is extremely funny and enjoyable. Peter Sellers is amazing as Inspector Jacques Clouseau.

Great job so far Gnat, keep 'em coming. If you run into to many pics that won't let you hot link try photobucket

Lost in never never land
Great job so far Gnat, keep 'em coming. If you run into to many pics that won't let you hot link try photobucket
I'll keep that in mind. If a picture doesn't link I generally just find a new picture though

*Enjoy a movie for what it is!*
100 thats so overused why not 250

Lost in never never land
90. Little Miss Sunshine (2006)

Olive: Grandpa, am I pretty?
Grandpa: You are the most beautiful girl in the world.
Olive: You're just saying that.
Grandpa: No! I'm madly in love with you and it's not because of your brains or your personality.
A wonderfully dark comedy with a lot of very good acting performances throughout.

89. Boondock Saints (1999)

Connor, Murphy: And Shepherds we shall be For thee, my Lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomeni Patri Et Fili
[Guns Cock]
Spiritus Sancti.
A nice little film with some very creative parts in it and how the story was told using Dafoe's characer.

88. The Godfather (1972)

Don Corleone: Do you spend time with your family? Good. Because a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man.
Brilliant performances to compliment a great story.

87. The Maltese Falcon (1941)

Sam Spade: We didn't exactly believe your story, Miss O'Shaughnessy, we believed your 200 dollars. I mean you paid us more than if you had been telling us the truth, and enough more to make it alright.
It might seem cliche now, but this film created all the cliches. A wonderful detective story.

86. Gattaca (1997)

Vincent: [narrating] I belonged to a new underclass, no longer determined by social status or the color of your skin. No, we now have discrimination down to a science.
For a distopian look at the future, this film demonstrates that there is hope and how it could occur. An entertaining sci-fi flick.

Great list.... nice to see someone else listing Boondock.... Looking forward to reading the rest....

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Great list so far Gnut keep them coming

Lost in never never land
85. Stargate (1994)

Dr. Daniel Jackson: [On a recording of his notes about the symbols after two weeks of no progress] I'm never gonna get paid.
Perhaps it is the nerd in me (seems likely), but I really like this sci-fi film, it is a great starting place for a great TV show.

84. Hellraiser (1987)

Frank Cotton: I thought I'd gone to the limits. I hadn't. The Cenobites gave me an experience beyond limits... pain and pleasure, indivisible.
One weird, jacked up film with a lot of weird jacked up sequels to it. Sequels weren't all as good, but the weird pleasure/pain ideas in the film are interesting.

83. Starship Troopers (1997)

Johnny Rico: These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself. Welcome to the Roughnecks
So bad that it is good, just an odd calamity of story thrown together to make a poor but very entertaining film.

82. Underworld (2003)

Selene: I am a Death Dealer, sworn to destroy those known as the Lycans. Our war has waged for centuries, unseen by human eyes. But all that is about to change.
I like vampire films, and very few meet up to my very high standards for vampire films. This one does in a rather entertaining manner.

81. Batman Begins (2005)

Bruce Wayne: They told me there was nothing out there, nothing to fear. But the night my parents were murdered I caught a glimpse of something. I've looked for it ever since. I went around the world, searched in all the shadows. And there is something out there in the darkness, something terrifying, something that will not stop until it gets revenge... Me.
This is one of the best made super hero films, not my favorite (I liked it a lot though), but extremely well made. I like the dark feel to it, but Batman isn't my favorite super hero.

So far you have a lot of movies I really like, so obviously this is probably going to be one of the best lists of all time!

Lost in never never land
So far you a lot of movies I really like, so obviously this is probably going to be one of the best lists of all time!
Wasn't that obvious even before I started posting them

Lost in never never land
80. Red Dawn (1984)

Toni: [her dying words, to Jed] Go on ahead. I'm just gonna stay here and listen to the wind a while, okay?
[He gives her a grenade, pulls the pin for her and kisses her goodbye; she then rigs herself as a boobytrap]
No good reason for liking this film as much as I do, it just is sort of a really fun film.

79. Shaun of the Dead (2004)

Ed: [after Shaun hits zombie with butt of rifle] Why didn't you just shoot him?
This is such a great parody/comedy film. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost work wonderfully together in this film.

78. Pulp Fiction (2004)

Jules: [Jules shoots the man on the couch] I'm sorry, did I break your concentration? I didn't mean to do that. Please, continue, you were saying something about best intentions. What's the matter? Oh, you were finished. Well then, allow me to retort. What does Marsellus Wallace look like?
A great romp with a non-linear story line. I love the dialog throughout this film.

77. The Fifth Element (1997)

Priest Vito Cornelius: It's a - it's a - it's a - it's a - it's a - it's a...
DJ Ruby Rhod: No no no no no no. 'Cuz if it was a bomb, the alarms would go off 'cuz all these hotels have bomb detectors, right?
[the alarms sound]
A neat film with an interesting look at the future in it, very colorful and visually intriguing.

76. The Ninth Gate (1999)

Boris Balken: [speaking of the engravings in 'The Nine Gates of the Kingdom of Shadows'] They form a kind of satanic riddle. Correctly interpreted with the aid of the original text and sufficient inside information, they are reputed to conjure up the Prince of Darkness in person.
An interesting film that while not all that scary or an amazing thriller is interesting in that it does leave itself open for more interpretation then one might originally suspect it would.

Lost in never never land
75. Titan A.E. (2000)

Cale: The least they could do is kill my food before I eat it.
A fun post earth sci-fi cartoon. It has so many of the typical sci-fi elements in it.

74. Back to the Future (1985, 1989, 1990)

Marty McFly: Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?
Dr. Emmett Brown: The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style?
A classic trilogy that is extremely entertaining.

73. Green Street Hooligans (2005)

Matt Buckner: singing] I'm forever blowing bubbles / Pretty bubbles in the air / They fly so high / They reach the sky / And like my dreams they fade and die / Fortune's always hiding, I've looked everywhere / I'm forever blowing bubbles, pretty bubbles in the air. / United! United!
A fun English soccer movie that really made me want to try doing some of what they do at baseball games in the US

72. Un Chien Andalou (1929)

Seeing that it is a silent film, no quote is possible. But I like this film in that there are many ways to interpret it, and all of the different points of symbolism in it are very interesting.

71. Layer Cake (2004)

XXXX: My name? If you knew that, you'd be as clever as me.
A classic British crime drama which automatically means that it is very entertaining.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I like the idea of doing a quote from each movie you list. I've never seen Green Street but I can't imagine Frodo as a West Ham football hooligan...

I like the idea of doing a quote from each movie you list. I've never seen Green Street but I can't imagine Frodo as a West Ham football hooligan...
I haven't seen this either it looks pretty interesting.

Lost in never never land
70. Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels (1998)

Tom: There's no money, there's no weed. It's all been replaced by a pile of corpses.
Like Layer Cake, a film that is classic British crime film.

69. Thank You for Smoking (2005)

Nick Naylor: Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I talk. Everyone has a talent.
A great satire/comedy with some brilliant points in it.

68. The 13th Floor (1999)

Hannon Fuller: [First lines] Ignorance is bliss. For the first time in my life, I agree.
A nice sci-fi film that I think does as good a job of asking questions about reality as the film The Matrix does.

67. Sleepy Hollow (1999)

Ichabod Crane: It is truth, but truth is not always appearance.
A nice looking retelling of the classic story by Tim Burton.

66. X-Men 2 (2003)

Nightcrawler: You know, outside the circus, most people were afraid of me. But I didn't hate them. I pitied them. Do you know why? Because most people will never know anything beyond what they see with their own two eyes.
A nice story and solid action in the this super hero film. I'm upset at the series though for not having Gambit in them (yet).

Lost in never never land
I have a friend who is big into soccer (and I was getting into soccer at that point), so he had found out about the film. It is definitely a good film, and Frodo becomes as West Ham football hooligan throughout the movie, but thinking of Elijah Wood as Frodo doesn't help the movie that much.

Lost in never never land
65. Spiderman 2 (2004)

May Parker: We need a hero, couragous sacrificing people, setting examples for all of us. Everybody loves a hero, people line up for 'em, cheer for them, scream their names, and years later tell how they stood in the rain for hours just to get a glimpse of the one who told them to HOLD ON a second longer. I believe theres a hero in all of us, that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble. And finally gets us to die with pride. Even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want most, even our dreams.
A good second part to this series, which is my favorite super hero series.

64. Garden State (2004)

Andrew Largeman: You know that point in your life when you realize that the house that you grew up in isn't really your home anymore? All of the sudden even though you have some place where you can put your stuff that idea of home is gone.
Sam: I still feel at home in my house.
Andrew Largeman: You'll see when you move out it just sort of happens one day one day and it's just gone. And you can never get it back. It's like you get homesick for a place that doesn't exist. I mean it's like this rite of passage, you know. You won't have this feeling again until you create a new idea of home for yourself, you know, for your kids, for the family you start, it's like a cycle or something. I miss the idea of it. Maybe that's all family really is. A group of people who miss the same imaginary place.
A great sound track and endearing story.

63. Hackers (1995)

Cereal Killer: [written on a blackboard and spoken out loud] Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
Nothing amazing about this film, just sort of a weird film that is entertaining. Not sure if it is set in the future or an alternate reality with extremely poor taste in fashion.

62. ExistenZ (1999)

Ted: It's none of your business who sent us! We're here and that is all that matters... God, what happened? I didn't mean to say that.
Allegra: It's your character who said it. It's kind of a schizophrenic feeling isn't it? You'll get use to it. There are things that have to be said to advance the plot and establish the characters, and those things get said whether you want to say them or not. Don't fight it. Just avoid it.
This film I think works better then The Matrix when it comes to trying to define reality, at least I enjoy it more.

61. The Big Lebowski (1998)

Donny: Are these the Nazis, Walter?
Walter Shobchak: No, Donny, these men are nihilists. There's nothing to be afraid of.
A great film, so funny and some great/funny visuals throughout the whole thing.