The best movie villian

Tools    

Who is the best villian who u just love to hate!

Radioactive Spider Blood
I'm going to show some of my actor ignorance-- can you give us some of the parts the people have played? Thanks.

"Chances are, if your parents didn't have any kids, then you won't either."

Malkovich: Con Air...Rickman: Die Hard (Hans Gruber), Oldman: Dracula, (That Bram dude's version. ), Air Force One, Lost in Space...Hopkins, Hannibal Lecter, of course, Lithgow: Cliffhanger comes to mind. DeNiro: well, Godfather comes to mind, but he wasn't a villain per se...not a nice guy, but not a completely bad guy, either. There are others, although honestly, I don't think he's in the same league as these other villains...way off the pace. Not as a complete actor, mind you.

Now With Moveable Parts
Oldman.When he played that prison warden...I wanted his hide!

Here comes one of my anal-retentive lists (at least somebody asked for it this time):

SOME VILLAINOUS-TYPE ROLES BY...

Robert DeNiro: Cape Fear, Angel Heart, The Godfather Part II, Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, This Boy's Life, and The Fan

John Lithgow: Blow Out, Ricochet, Cliffhanger, Santa Claus, Raising Cain, and Shrek

John Malkovich: In the Line of Fire, Con Air, Rounders, Dangerous Liasons, The Portrait of a Lady, Mary Reilly, and Mulholland Falls

Anthony Hopkins: Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal, Freejack, Titus and Nixon

Gary Oldman: Leon (aka The Professional), Bram Stoker's Dracula, The Fifth Element, Air Force One, State of Grace, True Romance, Lost in Space, Murder in the First, Hannibal and JFK

Alan Rickman: Die Hard, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, Quigley Down Under, Closet Land, Bob Roberts and Rasputin

Obviously some of those I listed aren't straight, strictly-defined "bad guy" roles, but you get my drift.

[Edited by Holden Pike on 10-26-2001]
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

If Travis Bickle and Jake La Motta count as "villains", then so should Vito Corleone.

And if Vito Corleone is a villian, then so is Brando in "A Streetcar Named Desire" as well. And Tennessee Williams once said that "there are no good or bad characters, some are a little better or worse, but in the end they are all driven by misunderstanding rather than malice". In other words, Brando as Stanley in "Streetcar" ain't no bad guy, Vito ain't a bad guy, and therefore cancelling De Niro out as Bickle and LaMotta.

I'm just saying.
I don't believe any of the above characters to be villains.
Bickle, LaMotta, Corleone, Stanley....

Now With Moveable Parts
Yeah, but when Leonardo DiCaprio was kicking DeNiro's @ss, who were you rooting for? Maybe he wasn't a villian...but he was a "bad guy." He wasn't a good guy.

Like I said, in some of the movies I listed the characters are much more complex than simple "bad guys", but I was taking into account things like menace, mental instability, the character's function in the plot, and just a genral tone of villainy. I don't think for example Travis Bickle or Jake LaMotta are villains (or for that matter Hopkins' Nixon or Titus Andronicus, Oldman's Lee Harvey Oswald, or Rickman's Rasputin, etc.), but they certainly have villainous overtones and gradations. Scorsese happily didn't make movies about those two DeNiro characters as villains, he presents a much more complicated and murky moral universe. Of course.

I was trying to filter often complex and layered characters through the prism of the original question, a question I didn't frame and find overly simplistic and too general myself. He should have listed the specific characters he had in mind rather than actors who have played all kinds of roles during their careers.

I would have thought all that was clear, but I'm happy to make it explicit. In my original post I said it was "obvious", but I guess I was wrong.

[Edited by Holden Pike on 10-26-2001]

Now With Moveable Parts
Shucks, Uncle Holden...i so stupid. me don't undera stand nothin'. thanks for clearing that all up for us less-er tieps. i sorta made a com-ment aboot DeNiro playin a bad guy and not a villian...but you kinda overlooked it.huh-huh.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Geez sades, not gonna live nothing down are you...LOL

I chose Oldman, simply because, this man IS a villian. He gets into his characters so well it's hard to even know what the guy actually looks like...LOL He was a mean SOB in Leon the Proffesional, or to those of you who haven't seen the international version, The Proffesional.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Radioactive Spider Blood
I'm placing a write in vote for Denzel Washington-- although I haven't seen it, he looks like one bad MoFo in Training Day.

Well golly-gee-willickers, Sades, perhaps, just perhaps, every single comment on this board isn't directed at you? Possible. Not likely, I understand, but possible.

Yes, you had a comment about the DeNiro character in This Boy's Life (congrats! and I agree with your assessment), but I was addressing SilverBullet's post specifically - it's the one above your second of this thread.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by spdrcr
Geez sades, not gonna live nothing down are you...LOL

I chose Oldman, simply because, this man IS a villian. He gets into his characters so well it's hard to even know what the guy actually looks like...LOL He was a mean SOB in Leon the Proffesional, or to those of you who haven't seen the international version, The Proffesional.
Like I said...in Murder in the First...I really wanted to scream. I don't think I ever hated anyone as much as that guy.

Holden-If you're just posting to a specific person, maybe you should qoute them or use their name in a sentance.Because the way it looked to me...you were adressing everyone in general.

SilverBullet, I wasn't talking about Brando, I was talking about De Niro. As in Godfather Part II.

Originally posted by Holden Pike

I don't think for example Travis Bickle or Jake LaMotta are villains (or for that matter Hopkins' Nixon or Titus Andronicus, Oldman's Lee Harvey Oswald, or Rickman's Rasputin, etc.), but they certainly have villainous overtones and gradations.
And my statement still stands.

What statement, that Don Corleone is as big a "villain" as Travis and Jake?

Personally I don't disagree with that at all. In the broadest sense of the term, which is how I was interpreting for the purposes of inclusion (and the way the open-ended question begs), DeNiro's Don is a villain. I didn't list every single movie that may fit for each actor (despite my initial claim that the list would be anal-retentive, and by implication comprehensive). Though now I've edited in The Godfather Part II.

I don't know about SilverBullet, but I certainly agree that DeNiro's Vito Corleone is villainous (in the loosest sense of that term).

A debate about what a villain really is or the slippery slope of a complex character's morality goes WAY beyond the "best [sic]villain [sic]u love to hate!" that was off-handedly posed in the poll.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by spdrcr
So why did you quote me?
AHHHH...HAAAAA...I was going to say something to you...forgot! *sigh* Nevermind...not important.

This really depends on how you tend to define the word "villain." Vito is not, in a RELATIVE sense, really the bad guy...but, overall, he certainly is. So, I guess the question would be this: when you say "villain," do you mean the person playing the part of the film's bad guy, or any bad guy at all, regardless of whether or not there are other bad guys in the film? Or (similar to the first option), are you referring to anyone that the film wants us to see as a bad guy?