Your favorite slashers

Tools    

What is wrong with you?
Lol, maybe i made a mistake, should be halloween 2

I think it's worth discussing our "rules" for slashers if it means digging into how and why the different films work or how they build on past films.

But I don't necessarily think that there is a hard and fast set of rules. For example, we tend to think of the killer as being masked, and yet the killer in Peeping Tom is not masked (right? It's been a while).

I understand why some horror fans cite the requirement that the killer be an actual person and not a supernatural entity, and yet in one of the films that I listed as a favorite there is a distinct element of the supernatural/magic.

I'm honestly not sure I could put together much of a list of rules that wouldn't be broken by at least one of the films on my own list. I agree that I think of a single killer, usually an unknown (masked or otherwise anonymous), multiple victims, and usually centered in a very limited location (camp. school, sorority house, etc). It's kind of a vague set of requirements, which explains why other people might have their own variations on what they consider a slasher or not a slasher.

I mean, ultimately the best use of a thread like this is getting good recommendations for a genre you like.
I actually think you have it spot on.

Like you say limited location, usually masked.

The only point of Contention I didn’t say but

Thought was that there can be an element

Of the supernatural

Especially when you consider the two

Giants of the game

Michael and Jason who both have elements of

The superhuman and not possible
Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

But that is it, an element, stray too far into that territory and it is no longer a slasher movie

You’re the type of person who flips tables when someone calls 28 Days Later a zombie film, right?
Actually no, hate the movie, wouldn’t want to

Discuss it in any capacity

Call it a comedy if you want

It’s ****e

I didn't even think of Se7en when I made my list. Though it's certainly an atypical slasher film, since I included Lang's M, I don't see why Se7en wouldn't apply for my list.
Yeah and round is square

And a table is a horse

And a bee is a dinosaur

I’d love to know what David Fincher feels

About you calling seven a slasher mate.

What’s so wrong with calling seven a slasher film is not so much an insult to what a slasher is but an insult to what seven is but I get your bored and just making noise.

But that is it, an element, stray too far into that territory and it is no longer a slasher movie

So there are exceptions,.and you're the sole gatekeeper to choose what those exceptions are.

Lol okay.

So there are exceptions,.and you're the sole gatekeeper to choose what those exceptions are.

Lol okay.
Crikey a slight exception not the massive

Leaps and bounds others are taking.

Somebody has to be the gate keeper.

Somebody said seven for crying out loud.

I don’t take the thread seriously anymore.

Another person here understands, they are

Just more diplomatic about it than I am.

I don’t care, hate me.

According to this thread now, every horror movie

Is a slasher film.

Confirmed with Seven.

Carry on, debate it until your heads turn round.

Ps - Is there even a slash in seven?

So absurd.

The best recent example of actual gods honest slasher movies but not very good imo

The Hatchet series.

Pure unadulterated uncomplicated popcorn slasher for you right there.

Not many more recent examples I could think of which is a shame.

But I’m sure others can lmao

Crikey a slight exception not the massive

Leaps and bounds others are taking.

Somebody has to be the gate keeper.

Somebody said seven for crying out loud.

I don’t take the thread seriously anymore.

Another person here understands, they are

Just more diplomatic about it than I am.

I don’t care, hate me.

According to this thread now, every horror movie

Is a slasher film.

Confirmed with Seven.

Carry on, debate it until your heads turn round.

Ps - Is there even a slash in seven?

So absurd.

In any traditional sense of the term, I also think alot of the films chosen are hardly slashers. Or at least only barely. But there are loads of different ways to talk about the genre without resorting to dogmatics. We can be talking about films that are influenced by slashers, are deliberately revisionist in hopes of broadening the definition, or films that are structurally similar even if they differ on their surface. It can be a deeper question than listing off the couple dozen films that can check all of the boxes.

Getting bogged down in semantics and demanding an agreement in these things across the board is such a dull and lifeless way to carry on a conversation about art. But carry on if you believe this thread needs some kind of self proclaimed authority. While I personally prefer to talk about exceptions to rules, and the reasons why people feel the need to break them, I alsonunderstand that for others rules are more important than they are to me

I don't remember, but if so, that's also a slasher film then!

All those drawn out suspenseful gore scenes in Platoon, I always thought that was standard for comedy.

Okay fair enough. I just feel how far can you broaden the definition of what is really a small sub genre until you stray into other territory and take away from what defines that too.

Btw I have never said it but for me the Halloween’s are the best slashers, I think “the shape” aka Michael Myers is still terrifying as when I was a kid, I mean imagine that in real life. No no no.

Victim of The Night
What if there are multiple victims whilst stalking that one person? Do the victims have to be given approximately equal stabby-stabby time?
I doubt it. I noticed this morning that
WARNING: "So spoilery" spoilers below
more than one person gets killed in Hush
but hey, I still think that's some kind of stalker/home-invasion movie and not a real slasher. Again, for me.

Victim of The Night
What if it turned out that Chucky was actually inside of Jason, operating him by remote control. And that Chucky was in fact having a bad dream, in which Freddy Krueger was influencing his behavior. And Freddy Krueger, wasn't just one Freddy Krueger, but a gang of Freddy Kruegers fighting for control of Chucky's mind, who is in turn controlling Jason, who it will turn out is actually a ghost. And then The Prowler kills all of them with a pitchfork in the shower, but it's really just one of them, because only Chucky is really alive, but he's a doll, so not really?

What is that called?
A masterpiece.

Victim of The Night
I think it's worth discussing our "rules" for slashers if it means digging into how and why the different films work or how they build on past films.

But I don't necessarily think that there is a hard and fast set of rules. For example, we tend to think of the killer as being masked, and yet the killer in Peeping Tom is not masked (right? It's been a while).

I understand why some horror fans cite the requirement that the killer be an actual person and not a supernatural entity, and yet in one of the films that I listed as a favorite there is a distinct element of the supernatural/magic.

I'm honestly not sure I could put together much of a list of rules that wouldn't be broken by at least one of the films on my own list. I agree that I think of a single killer, usually an unknown (masked or otherwise anonymous), multiple victims, and usually centered in a very limited location (camp. school, sorority house, etc). It's kind of a vague set of requirements, which explains why other people might have their own variations on what they consider a slasher or not a slasher.

I mean, ultimately the best use of a thread like this is getting good recommendations for a genre you like.
Agreed.
Like I said, these are my rules (and I use that term loosely) for ME. I don't tell other people (anymore) what their things should be from their point of view.
You think A Nightmare On Elm Street is a slasher, go with god.
I keep these things separate more for my watch-planning and to Keep October Supernatural.

Victim of The Night
We’re dangerously close to quoting famous Wooley qualifying slasher, Se7en.
Um, wut?
Somebody using "Slasher" or "Horror" in the same sentence with Se7en again?
*lumbers of to find spray-bottle*

Agreed.
Like I said, these are my rules (and I use that term loosely) for ME. I don't tell other people (anymore) what their things should be from their point of view.
You think A Nightmare On Elm Street is a slasher, go with god.
FromBeyond should read this.

I doubt it. I noticed this morning that
WARNING: "So spoilery" spoilers below
more than one person gets killed in Hush
but hey, I still think that's some kind of stalker/home-invasion movie and not a real slasher. Again, for me.
I mostly agree (because the
WARNING: spoilers below
other two murders are more "place setting" for the ultimate stalking and attack on the main character.
).

But it did get me thinking about the difference between films in which the killer is fixated on one character and the other killings are just on the way to that person, and films in which there just generally is a killer and the final victim sort of just happens to be the one who survived the longest.