Missing Obama

Tools    

Obama: People should 'reconcile themselves' to Trump

President Obama said Americans had to "reconcile themselves" to the Trump presidency, but maintained that he was optimistic about the future of the country and his Democratic party.
Answering questions from reporters for the first time since voters handed the White House over to a candidate who promised to dismantle his agenda, Obama also pledged to give President-elect Donald Trump the space he needs to put together a new government. He declined to comment on the appointment of alt-right firebrand Stephen Bannon to a top role in his White House, and steered clear of his pre-election contention that Trump would make a dangerous president.

"Look, the people have spoken. Donald Trump will be the next president, the 45th president of the United States. Those who didn't vote for him have to understand, that's how the system works. That's how democracy operates," he said. "Whenever you have an incoming president on the other side, particularly after a contentious election like we've had, it takes a while for people to reconcile themselves to that new reality. Hopefully it's a reminder that elections matter."

The news conference provided a way for Obama to get domestic politics out of the way before he departs Monday night for a weeklong, three-country foreign trip that's expected to be the last of his presidency. "I figure, why wait?" he told reporters.

That trip — to Greece, Germany and Peru — will give Obama a chance to reassure allies that bipartisan commitments are more enduring than any one administration. He's scheduled three news conferences during the trip, one on each leg, adding up to an extraordinary one-week stretch in which he'll face the press four times.

At the Monday news conference, Obama addressed:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politi...PbM?li=BBnb7Kz

GOP to Obama: We’re gonna miss you — seriously ( I cant guess a damn thing on Westworld, but I sure called this one.)

ORLANDO, Fla. — Republican governors have a surprising message for President Barack Obama: We’ll miss you.

Their demonize-Obama strategy has worked spectacularly well politically, said Republicans. Obama has “presided over one of the most remarkable resurrections of the Republican Party,” Gov. Scott Walker of Wisconsin told the Republican Governors Association, meeting this week at Orlando’s Waldorf Astoria resort.

He and others proudly reeled off the numbers: In Obama’s first year in office in 2009, there were 22 Republican governors. Now there will be at least 33, the party’s strongest State House showing since 1922.

Democrats controlled both chambers of Congress when Obama first won the White House. Republicans this year have their biggest House of Representatives majority since 1931, and will return next year with almost as strong a majority. And though 24 of the 34 Senate seats up for election this year were held by Republicans, the party emerged with a majority.

Now, they need to score another way — by governing.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politi...11Y?li=BBnb7Kz

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Environmentally speaking, he wasn't too good for the forestry sector. What a paper-pusher.

Environmentally speaking, he wasn't too good for the forestry sector. What a paper-pusher.

A cutsie meme. Meanwhile your boy Trump is depowering the EPA by making someone that was suing the EPA, the head of the EPA.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.ba4b97840a5d

Why? He is a special interest puppet. Just because someone has puppets doesnt mean they cant be one themselves.

White House announces retaliation against Russia: Sanctions, ejecting diplomats

(CNN)President Barack Obama took unprecedented steps Thursday to retaliate against alleged Russian interference in the 2016 election, prompting vows from Russian authorities that Moscow will respond in kind.

The administration described Russia's involvement as "Significant Malicious Cyber-Enabled Activities" and sanctioned four Russian individuals and five Russian entities for what it said was election interference. The administration also ordered 35 Russian diplomats to leave the country and two Russian compounds are being closed.

This is the first time the names of Russian officials involved in the hacking have become public on the sanctions list. "Russia's cyberactivities were intended to influence the election, erode faith in US democratic institutions, sow doubt about the integrity of our electoral process, and undermine confidence in the institutions of the US government," a White House statement said. "These actions are unacceptable and will not be tolerated."

According to statements from the White House and the Treasury Department, the government has sanctioned nine entities and individuals over their alleged interference in the election: the GRU and the FSB, which are two Russian intelligence services; four individual officers of the GRU; and three companies that provided material support to the GRU's operations.

The US also separately sanctioned two Russian individuals, Evgeniy Mikhailovich Bogachev and Alexey Belan, for using cyber-enabled means to allegedly cause misappropriation of funds and personal identifying information. They've long been sought by the FBI.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/29/politi...use/index.html

Obama puts Trump on the spot with Russia sanctions

(CNN)President Barack Obama, at long, long last, responded forcefully to Russia's unprecedented interference in America's democratic process. We can all wonder what might have happened if he had acted sooner, but that question no longer matters.

The question now is what President-elect Donald Trump will do when he takes office in less than a month.
After all, Trump's acquiescent attitude towards anything having to do with Russia and its president, Vladimir Putin, is so baffling, so dismissive of American institutions and arguably of the country's interests, that it has become the most corrosive point of contention between Trump and members of his own party.
On Thursday, Obama issued an executive order that, among other things, expels 35 Russian intelligence operatives and shuts down two Russian compounds in the US. The text of the executive order describes the strong sanctions as "steps to deal with the national emergency with respect to significant malicious cyber-enabled activities ... to undermine democratic processes and institutions."
US security agencies have been in agreement that Russian-backed hackers deliberately stole emails from the Democratic National Committee and from Hillary Clinton's campaign chief John Podesta, then moved to have the private emails made public in an effort to help Trump, Putin's favored candidate, win the election.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/29/opinio...tis/index.html

A-Listers Party At The White House Until Morning To Say Goodbye To Barack Obama

People who won’t be showing up for Donald Trump’s inauguration.

With only two weeks left until Barack and Michelle Obama vacate the White House for good, the first family welcomed a host of celebrity guests on Friday night for a star-studded farewell party.

Aside from an awards show, there haven’t been this many famous people gathered in one room since a casting call for a holiday-themed Garry Marshall romantic comedy.

The White House bash effectively serves as the kickoff to events celebrating President Obama’s time in office, leading up to his final address, which he’ll deliver in Chicago on Jan. 10. Days later, President-elect Donald Trump will call 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. home after his inauguration, for which he’s struggled to find big-name performers.

In contrast, Obama’s farewell party attracted some of the biggest A-listers around. Attendees reportedly included Meryl Streep, George and Amal Clooney, Robert De Niro, Beyoncé and Jay Z, Nick Jonas, Jordin Sparks, David Letterman, Paul McCartney, Kelly Rowland, Olivia Wilde and Jason Sudeikis...

Are you tired yet?

... Samuel Jackson, Magic Johnson, Tom Hanks, Rev. Al Sharpton, Jerry Seinfeld, Stevie Wonder, Charles Barkley Steven Spielberg, Marc Anthony, Sarah Jessica Parker, Tyler Perry, Chrissy Teigen and John Legend...

And, yes, even more.

Photos from inside the event were likely restricted, but that didn’t stop celebrities from sharing pics from the White House grounds on social media about the party that kept Washington, D.C., awake until early Saturday.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...043ad97e3a945?

In farewell speech, Obama warns of threats to U.S. democracy

With just ten days remaining in his presidency, President Obama on Tuesday night outlined his achievements in the White House and told Americans that U.S. democracy is under threat.

In his almost hour-long speech, a visibly emotional Mr. Obama argued that the country is at a pivotal point in its history -- and that forces beyond our control are threatening American democracy. What will keep the country together, he said, is a sense of “solidarity.”

The speech seemed at times squarely aimed at his successor, President-elect Donald Trump -- despite the fact that Mr. Obama said Mr. Trump’s name just one time.

“There have been moments throughout our history that threatened to rupture that solidarity -- the beginning of this century has been one of those times,” he said. “A shrinking world, growing inequality; demographic change and the specter of terrorism – these forces haven’t just tested our security and prosperity, but they’re testing our democracy as well.”

Mr. Obama acknowledged the tradition of a peaceful transition of power, saying he was committed to making it the “smoothest possible.”

“In ten days, the world will witness a hallmark of our democracy: the peaceful transfer of power from one freely-elected president to the next,” he said, to boos from the crowd. “I committed to President-elect Trump that my administration would ensure the smoothest possible transition, just as President Bush did for me.”

He said it’s normal and understandable for people to disagree on the best path forward for the country -- but outlined three potent forces working to challenge American democracy that will require unity of purpose going forward.

One major threat, he said, is that of rising economic inequality and concern that government “only serves the interests of the powerful.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politi...Oxt?li=BBnb7Kz

Bye Obama. I will sort of miss your administration.

Though I will not say he was a really good president, I will compliment him for keeping America semi stable for now and being respectable and being better intentioned than Trump and most other people. (which contrary to what I used to think of Obama years ago, sharing my parents' opinion that he is a arrogant "I don't work, I play golf," guy.) Overall, I'm neutral when it comes to Obama.

EDIT: Here's a good article I found that looks unbiased.

It's amazing that someone of mixed race could be 100% racist against one race and in favor of another.

Probably one of the most blatantly racist Presidents in American history and the first to openly favor a fascist political ideology that embraces genocide and which continuously attacked Americans at home and abroad throughout his entire Presidency over the major religious philosophies held by many of the founding fathers and which were incorporated into America's basic Constitutional ideals of equality & freedom.

It's amazing that someone of mixed race could be 100% racist against one race and in favor of another.

Probably one of the most blatantly racist Presidents in American history and the first to openly favor a fascist political ideology that embraces genocide and which continuously attacked Americans at home and abroad throughout his entire Presidency over the major religious philosophies held by many of the founding fathers and which were incorporated into America's basic Constitutional ideals of equality & freedom.
Not. Smart. Stuff.

This comes from a finger-point philosophy of us vs them which we seem to be de-evolving towards. I posted an Obama video on YouTube, and some seemingly "nice guy" started chatting me up, and then lo and behold he was a white supremacist.

You can see the exchange in the comments section if you go to YouTube.

Just noticing this Trump movement is bringing out the "white groups" and such talk. Disgusting really.

I'll check it out, Tongs. (It's not me chatting you on YouTube.)

I can't go into detail, but I have a fatwah of sorts out against me by certain white supremacist groups - years ago I publicly challenged one of their leaders (all I can tell you was his first name was Matt, he's been on TV, and he used an American flag as his doormat - literally. I believe he served time, but I don't know of his current status).
Anyway - I oppose all racists, whether they're in the White House, below the Mason Dixon line or if they want us dead because their so-called religion dictates they kill anyone who doesn't accept their philosophy. I'm an equal-opportunity hate opposer!

I oppose Political Correctness because it aims to keep race as one of it's main focuses, constantly trying to keep it in the public consciousness as a source of agitation & turmoil, as it seeks to establish inequality by constantly fanning the flames of bigotry and racism.

I'll check it out, Tongs. (It's not me chatting you on YouTube.)

I can't go into detail, but I have a fatwah of sorts out against me by certain white supremacist groups - years ago I publicly challenged one of their leaders (all I can tell you was his first name was Matt, he's been on TV, and he used an American flag as his doormat - literally. I believe he served time, but I don't know of his current status).
Anyway - I oppose all racists, whether they're in the White House, below the Mason Dixon line or if they want us dead because their so-called religion dictates they kill anyone who doesn't accept their philosophy. I'm an equal-opportunity hate opposer!

I oppose Political Correctness because it aims to keep race as one of it's main & focuses, constantly trying to put in into the public consciousness as a source of agitation & turmoil, as it seeks to establish inequality by constantly fanning the flames of bigotry and racism.
Yeah youre against all hate. I thought the "race issues" were overblown in America, but truthfully I was ignorant. If Obama set into motion programs or laws which would specifically benefit a minority, non-white............ok. Whats the big deal? You think a white President wouldnt have done the same thing for a minority vote? Hardly a scathing epitaph to leave behind in a Presidents tenure.

Its not about Political Correctness but cause and effect. If someones of the mindest like that idiot on YouTube where the thinking is "Whites gotta protect whats ours!" then he has no idea what America is. America isnt white, and people just got to get over that.

Steel, you labeling Obama as a racist .........borrowing Iro's Cage pic ; )

Well it doesnt come off like youre fighting hate at all. Ive personally dealt with black folks that hated whites, Barack Obama isnt a bigot.

Whew! I just checked... and luckily, Matt Hale is still in jail (hey, that rhymes!) with a 40 year sentence. He won't be out until 2037! So I've got a few years before he comes for revenge.
That doesn't mean he doesn't have "friends" on the outside who can't get to me, but at least I can say his name (he is on Wikipedia which makes him a public figure). As long as I don't say my name, I should be okay!

Anyway, Matt Hale knows me as the guy who asked "what would the world be like without Jewish Rye?" That began the war. (I told him we already beat the Nazis once, and I was ready to do it again - personally if need be.)

I'm not sure who I despise more; Nazis or Terrorists. All I know is none of them like me because I keep working to put them in jail!