Movie Forums Top 100 War Movies - Group Watch

→ in
Tools    

If you see a film here that you're interested in I hope you'll watch it and write a little something about it. I'd love to see what choices you'd come up with for war films and there's no comments here, it's come and go as you please. Easey peasey.

Interesting. I knew that America was following a path of isolationism before Pearl Harbor but I'm curious as to what you mean by "Bogart can easily stand in as a metaphor for America's isolationism after WW1"?
That is suppose to read no commitments here. Comments are good!

Bogart’s refusal to “stick his neck out for nobody” is a metaphor for America’s refusal to join the war from the onset, instead waiting for an action to bring him to the other side, rather then sitting on the fence.
Thanks...the Bogart reference, “stick his neck out for nobody” is from Casablanca?

The trick is not minding
Thanks...the Bogart reference, “stick his neck out for nobody” is from Casablanca?
Yes, in the scene where Ugarte is arrested, a patron, possibly Lazlo, makes a remark about Rick’s lack of aid.
To which Rick responds “I stick my neck out for nobody.”

Yes, in the scene where Ugarte is arrested, a patron, possibly Lazlo, makes a remark about Rick’s lack of aid.
To which Rick responds “I stick my neck out for nobody.”
Ah, I thought it sounded familiar...I just watched Casablanca a couple of weeks ago.

I completely agree with you about Raiders, but I would also say that what happens before actual war can be just as relevant to said war as what happens after, and we know for sure we will have films on the countdown that will be about the after effects of war.

I completely agree, but we know there will be films that show up that aren't about an actual war.

Yea I think every movie has something about it that if you take it out, the film would be very different. I get the war element, but I don't think it's about war.
I imagine there will be all kinds of different war films on the countdown, and I can understand people using different criteria when forming their ballots. I'm not saying other people should go by my guidelines. These are just the rules which I'll go by. People should feel free to nominate whatever they want.

Come on Saving Private Ryan isn't a war film lol
Neither is The Deer Hunter:

Just finished watching the film. I might post more thoughts later today or tomorrow, but in short: Great concept, decent execution.

7/10

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Le Silence de la mer is a powerful film on individuality. It's one of those movies that were made too soon but also one that couldn't have been made any later.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Le Silence de la mer (1949)

I appreciate this movie more now that I'm not watching it. While watching it I was intrigued by it's premise and curious as to where it would go. To be honest after 25 minutes I had to force myself to finish the film. I did finish it and I'm glad I did. Though in the end what I gained from the film was more of an interesting narrative style than anything profoundly deep. Yet to the French audience who had just been subjugated to four years of Nazi occupation this film must have spoken volumes.

I perceive that the film's message is delivered in prose by the uninvited house guest. His is a misguided dream of the occupation. To the officer the occupation is a marriage between Germany and France. Germany is enlightened with an influx of lofty romanticized ideas which are bestowed upon by the subdued French. The officer sees the Germans as saviors of the French, sweeping away their bourgeois capitalist loving government and replacing it with German clockwork efficiency. Only towards the end of the film does the idealistic officer realize that the Nazis have a much more brutal plan in-store for France.

It's the clash of the cultural values between the insect leg pulling Nazis and the idealistic romanticized French. The old man and his niece's refusal to talk to the German officer represents passive resistances to the occupation. These two powerless people do what they can in the face of an overwhelming occupation.

The beauty of the film, call it the pay off, is during the film the audience develops sympathy for the German officer. As misguided as his dreams are he's still a sorrowful character and when he learns the bitter truth of the Nazis the audience is rewarded by the kind gesture of the old man and niece who finally break the silence and bid the officer a farewell.