Post-2010s list, what should the next countdown be?

Tools    

I think we found our Noir host. I would be for having a tight traditional definition and let the it fall how it falls. I would rather have a smaller list that is true Noir.

I think Noir would have to come with a timeframe eligibility like Holden said. 1940-1960 etc.
I think that's going to be impossible. It'll inevitably leave out something quintessential. That time frame, for example, excludes Chinatown.

Speaking of the Comedy list, there seemed to be a lot of support and interest in the 1980s. 29 of the Top 100 were from that decade and it seemed to be just everybody had another one or three from that decade that didn't make the cut and we all couldn't believe they missed. I actually think there is enough MoFo interest and certainly enough eligible titles to do a deeper dive and have a Top 100 Comedies of the 1980s list. Demographically there seem to be enough of us who either came of age around that time or simply that those titles continued to flourish in the VHS era and on cable TV into the 1990s so that the depth of knowledge for the funny movies from those ten years is quite deep and varied.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Just throwing out some ideas of what can be done.

Historical (would include biopics)
Biopics
Action
Adventure
Romance
Fantasy
Post-Apocalyptic/Dystopian/Utopian

Also, Noir but include crime/mystery and have users submit two top 10 (or 15) lists: pre-1960/post-1960. Top 50 for each and we would get one from each list per day. I don't know.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Not enough eligible titles to do a Top 100, and it is a list where there is zero mystery what the top title will be.

Ugh. How in the fart are you going to define THAT?

More do-able that the other two.

This is what I am going to push for rather than Film Noir as actual Film Noir will be very underrepresented. And it also includes any "Gangster" film you want. You have already doubled up on something with just four suggestions.

Just throwing out some ideas of what can be done.

Historical (would include biopics)
Biopics
Action
Adventure
Romance
Fantasy
Post-Apocalyptic/Dystopian/Utopian.
All of the genres that are left are either so broad they can include most anything or so narrow you will struggle to even get a Top 50 and have no chance of a legit Top 100.

Yeah, Holden's post about 80s comedies has me thinking maybe we need to combine decades and genres at this point? Are we there yet? Almost. I do like historical and/or biopics, though. Just because I feel I could watch some of those right now.

I've had a rethink and I'm afraid everything that isn't made in the classical noir period has to be considered neo noir. Chinatown is neo-noir. L.A. Confidential is Neo noir. As is The Man Who Wasn't There. It has to be. Even if the film is set in the 30s, 40s, 50s. It has to be Neo noir if it isn't made in the classical noir film age.

I think most of the ideas presented here are good, but I think we're going to have to broaden the definitions if we're going to achieve a good level of participation for several of these. I mean, any noir list would be a big struggle for me, but a strict noir list that excludes neo noir or only includes the neo noirs that the hardcore fans deem acceptable? Count me out.

I like the suggestion of romance, though I think we would need to open it up to personal definition ala the Comedies countdown since so many movies contain heavy romantic elements.

Ok, 1940-1960 plus Chinatown
And Long Goodbye. Then I’m good.
No noir list is complete without L.A. Confidential
I mean, I can't make a better argument for "no technical restrictions" than this.

I can understand the concerns, but trolling is pretty minimal with these things. It went pretty well with the Comedies list, all things considered. If people have weird ideas about what qualifies, I kind of want that represented. Or at least, I like that "problem" a lot more than the problem of people not being able to make those determinations themselves.

As I've said for years now...noir is the way to go. Holden seems to have issues with "traditional" noir from the 40's-50's which is filled with gems. But noir didn't just stop in Hollywood you had a series of foreign noir films and movements come along in the 60's-70's. Then Hollywood had a solid 20 year neo-noir movement that basically started with The French Connection and ended with Basic Instinct. Afterwhich it feels like we've gotten a neo-noir classic every year.

Musical....I don't think it would turn out great because of the mix of biopics, disny animated, classic's and concerts.

War is fine...I don't think it will be as messy as Musical list will end up as I think the outliers will upset some

My Top Ten lists...if I had my druthers thinking of what this board would get both high turnout and a good list

1. Neo-Noir/Film Noir
2. Sequels/Franchises
3. Classic Science-Fiction
4. Action/Adventure
5. Award winning/Nominated