Frightened Inmate No. 2's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
2,9 is approximately 3, not 2,5.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Aren't they interchangeable? In Polish we use a comma I guess, but sometimes a dot as well.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I saw one other person here do that, but I've never seen it elsewhere and I'm a math teacher. Good to learn about other cultures since it's a key to understanding movies.

In Mathematics we use commas. We only use dots when writing about a version of a computer program etc.

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

I really liked this one. It told the story of the Holocaust from an eight'-year-old's point-of-view, and the story crafted here was equally compelling and touching. The ending is incredibly sad, and is mostly great. The one complaint I have with this movie is that the ending is almost too frustrating. I won't spoil it, but it became hard to enjoy it because of how bad you feel. There is a very fine line between being on the edge of your seat ready to cry, and just wincing because of what's coming. Besides that, there were some very likable characters, and some great performances all-around. I was still enthralled in the plot, and I enjoyed myself for most of the film.

Margin Call

I did not like this movie. I found it incredibly boring, and not at all enjoyable. I never felt that there were any stakes, despite the movie's best attempts at emphasizing them. About the only thing going for it was that there was some decent dialogue and a few good performances, most notably Kevin Spacey, who is always great. I kept waiting for something moderately interesting to happen, and it never did. Very boring film.

1.8/5

Holy Motors

This movie was weird. It was by far the weirdest movie I have ever seen. Just when you thought it couldn't get weirder, there he is biting off a woman's finger. Then he starts randomly playing the accordion. It was so insane, yet I really liked it. The film could go wherever it wanted. I felt so many emotions while watching it, and it was a fun ride. This was the first "foreign art" film I've ever seen, so I'm not that experienced in the genre. I couldn't tell you what it is really about, but the nearest I can tell is that it's making a statement about film in general. It communicates the message eloquently yet insanely. The movie probably didn't make any sense, and it never explains much, but it really didn't need to. It was kind of hard to get into at first, but that was partly because I had to get used to it.

I've seen some reviews of Holy Motors, and I'd like to see it. The weirder it is, the better. And I've been getting more and more into art films within the past few months.

Dances with Wolves

I really liked this one. First of all, Kevin Costner gave a really good performance. He doesn't have great range as an actor, but he really pulled this off, not to mention his great directing. The ending is pretty heartbreaking, but they definitely didn't overdue it as much as they could, and it clearly isn't based around the fact that it's a tearjerker. It does it more naturally and doesn't rely on a sad ending too much, even though it probably could have. Watching Kevin Costner's relationship with the Indians, and Stands with a Fist in particular, was fascinating and there was something charming about it. I can't help but feel that that would be the way a meeting between a friendly white man and an Indian would actually go. There was some great attention to detail, and it all paid off. Even if you know where it's going, it is still an epic and captivating story that will hold your interest all the way through, despite the three-hour run time.

4.3/5

Duck Soup

Going into this, I was expecting this movie to feel very dated and I expected to not get a lot of the humor in it because I've never really seen a film like it before. But I actually found this movie quite funny. It's amazing how this movie is still hilarious after all these years. There are certainly some bits that I'm sure aren't as funny now as they seemed then, and the songs were pretty dumb, but there were some great scenes. Most notably the mirror scene, but I think the one where they keep knocking on the door, hiding behind the bushes when the person comes out, and then entering the house made me laugh the hardest. I didn't expect to be able to appreciate this movie like I did, and I suspect there is still more I could have appreciated. There were some scenes where I wouldn't laugh, but that's because the humor doesn't have anywhere near the impact now as I'm sure it did then. It's really amazing how much all performers since have been influenced by the Marx Brothers at some point. For instance, you can clearly see Rodney Dangerfield in Groucho Marx. The joke style is often very similar to that of The Simpsons, Seinfeld, and even Arrested Development. Almost every modern joke can practically be traced back to the Marx Brothers. Duck Soup is a very influential and funny movie, even if it does inevitable feel dated at times.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog

Holy Motors

This movie was weird. It was by far the weirdest movie I have ever seen. Just when you thought it couldn't get weirder, there he is biting off a woman's finger. Then he starts randomly playing the accordion. It was so insane, yet I really liked it. The film could go wherever it wanted. I felt so many emotions while watching it, and it was a fun ride. This was the first "foreign art" film I've ever seen, so I'm not that experienced in the genre. I couldn't tell you what it is really about, but the nearest I can tell is that it's making a statement about film in general. It communicates the message eloquently yet insanely. The movie probably didn't make any sense, and it never explains much, but it really didn't need to. It was kind of hard to get into at first, but that was partly because I had to get used to it.

Sounds amazing really can't wait to see this, thanks for the review Inmate No. 2.

I meant to watch it but then got frightened I may hate it, but after seeing the accordion scene on YouTube and liking Fando and Lis I am again thinking about giving it a chance.

It's a very polarizing movie, but if your into art films, you would probably like it.

I first heard about it on another forum where a lot of the members are into those kind of films, and they all really love it.

A Fish Called Wanda

This movie was pretty good, but not great. It definitely could be a bit dull at times. I may have laughed twice in the first hour of the movie. Fortunately it made up for it by the end, and was quite funny for the last half. It never reached outright hilarity, and I never cracked-up while watching it, but the ending was certainly very entertaining and funny. Every actor gave a great performance here, and they created very interesting characters, which is what the movie mainly relied on. Kevin Kline was a very likable a$$hole, and was the comedic star of the film, but John Cleese and Jamie Lee Curtis did a great job of playing some surprisingly complex characters, who believably fall in love, somehow. Even though it was sometimes dull, the movie still brought some laughs, and was still very well-written.

Inglorious Basterds

I liked this movie, but it was not as good as I was expecting. I was expecting a fun movie, with some great action and some great characters. It delivered on the last two points, but it really wasn't that fun, or particularly entertaining. It was certainly was entertaining at times, but it required long periods of inactivity, with long, drawn-out periods of dialogue. The dialogue wasn't especially boring, but it definitely could've been trimmed down. Sometimes the dialogue, especially in the opening scene, added to the suspense, but usually it just felt gratuitous. With that said, there were some great scenes, like the aforementioned opening scene, and the scenes with the Bastards, and the theater scene. I wish Brad Pitt and his Bastards would've been given more screen time, because they were by far the most entertaining part. Brad Pitt was great, and quite funny. Cristoph Waltz was absolutely phenomenal as the villain, and gave one of the best performances I've seen. I still liked this movie, even if it was pretty boring at times.

Basterds is certainly dialouge driven, that is why I love it so much. You mentioned a couple scenes you really liked, but how did you feel about the bar scene? I go back between that and the opening as my fave in the film.

I liked the bar scene, but I wouldn't call it my favorite scene. That scene had a lot of dialogue, and it probably went on a bit too long, but the ending of the scene was a worthy pay-off, which is something you can say for a lot of the dialogue driven scenes.

I am the Watcher in the Night
Great stuff, keep it up! I'm not really a big fan of Dances with the Wolves or Cuckoo's nest but they were good enough to keep me occupied for 2 hours or more.