Barry

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
OK, we're getting flashforwards and we still didn't find out what happened to Cristobal? Did Fuches have something to do with his death? Daniel Day Lewis wants to play Gene Cusineau in the movie? Yeah, right. Those guys went after Fuches and ended up headless? Mark Wahlberg as Barry? I believe that before Daniel Day Lewis. Hank attempting to blow up Fuches' compound had me on the floor. Is Gene going to go down for Janice's murder? Barry is on the egde...not sure of what, but he's definitely on the edge.
Cristobal was already shown being killed off by the Chechens back in episode 4 (which is before the flash forward) for walking out on Hank after Hank had murdered all their new associates - Fuches had nothing to do with it. It was also established that the DDL/Wahlberg thing was just a ruse by Jim Moss to entrap Gene so it ultimately doesn't matter how plausible it actually is - I'm guessing that pinning Janice's death on him is how they wrap up his part on the show so that the final episode can focus on resolving the Barry/Hank/Fuches conflict.

Well, it's over. Not really disappointed in how it wrapped up. I did have a notion that was how the Fuchses side of things would end. I mean he was such a despicable individual it only made sense for it to wrap up like that. All of the character's ultimate fates (except for one) were hinted at throughout the run of the show so I suppose it was a fitting end for them. Does that make it predictable? No. I don't think it does. Did the finale cement the show's stature or did it detract from it? I really don't know.

Fuches makes for an interesting contrast with Barry in that he ultimately accepts that he is a villain (and his final exchange with Hank was all about getting him to admit that about himself too) while Barry was constantly rationalising his actions up until the very end. That he was still willing to protect John and return him to Barry might have been a move to get Barry to leave him alone, but it also shows that he still had a sliver of humanity that Barry was definitely missing by that point.

That tracking shot of Barry walking out of the supermarket strapped down with rifles and nobody even noticing was all kinds of awesome. That scene where Sally tried to explain her life with Barry to her son was wonderful. Part of me really wanted to see Barry step up where Janice's murder was concerned. Can't believe the way Gene's son has completely turned on him. It's hard to tell if Barry really doesn't know what doing the right thing is or he doesn't care. Very odd finale. I don't regret watching the show, though.

I think he doesn't know anymore - judging by the way he listens to Christian podcasts and prays by himself, it's clear that he's actively bought into his newfound sense of religion and believes that anything he does is justified as a result. It is interesting how Sally tells him that the only way he can make things right is to turn himself in and he rejects the notion but when Gene's lawyer suggests the same thing he actively starts to consider it.

I finally caught up with the series finale. I didn't really like it. I thought this whole season was too dark and tonally off from the rest of the show. What do you think the creators were trying to communicate with the fake movie at the end, and why did they decide to have Cousineau go to jail for the murder of Janice, which he did not commit? I think there was a deeper subtext with the fake movie in particular that I may have missed that was likely intended, so would love others interpretation of that. Thank you!