Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I love this movie. More people need to see it.
I wasn't sure what to expect upon going into it (it's also one of the films I've seen that I haven't been able to find for free online), but I'm glad I was able to check it out.

Recent watches:
The Terror 1963

Somers Town 2008

Game Show Dynamos 2015

The Duke Of Burgundy 2014
+
Maid Of Honor (La Madrina) 2017

The Dynamiters (aka The Gelignite Gang) 1955

Wings Of Desire 1987

Pixie 2020

We Summon The Darkness 2019
+
Crime Cameo: The Grayson Case 1955

The Stable Door 1966

The Gentle Trap 1960

Bull 2021
+
Battles Without Honour And Humanity 1973
+
Second Acts 2019
+
Cigüeñas (Storks) 2018

When A Dream Comes True 2022
+
Girl 2018

Asleep 2017

Sauvage 2018
+
Fanny Lye Deliver'd 2019

31 Hours 2021

Game Night 2018

Ready Or Not 2019
+
Blockers 2018
+
The Wrong Box 1966

Beowulf 2007

The Oak Room 2020
+
Titus And Mirabella 2020
+
The Jesus Rolls 2019

The Bed (Le Lit) 2014

Peter Rabbit 2018
+
Amores Perros 2000

Shadow 2018

The Lane 2018

All The King's Men 1949
+
Mourning After 2017

Hawaii 2019

Last Action Hero 1993
+
Listen 2014

Songs For While I'm Away 2020

Three Hours To Kill 1954

Area 51 2015
+
The Vigil 2019
+
Misbehaviour 2020
+
The Waiting 2019
+
The Wackiest Ship In The Army 1960

24 Hours To Live 2017
+
Cover Girl 1944
+
Memento Mori 2019
+
The Man From U.N.C.L.E. 2015

Dreamland 2019

Only Water In The Sea 2020

Bombshell 2019

Savage 2018

The Man Outside 1933
+
Servants 2020
+
Death And The Knight 2020
+
Lapsis 2020
+
The Dawn Rider (aka Cold Vengeance) 1935

Footsteps In The Fog 1955
+
Winds Of The Wasteland (aka Stagecoach Run) 1936
+
An Unsuitable Job For A Woman 1982

Torpedo Run 1958
+
Ninjababy 2021

AI: Artificial Intelligence 2001

Paradise Canyon (aka Guns Along The Trail) 1935

Blue Steel (aka Stolen Goods) 1934

The Girl And The Spider 2021

Sagebrush Trail (aka An Innocent Man) 1933

Yakuza Graveyard 1976
+
Being Keegan 2017

Body Brokers 2021

Journey's End 2017

Fire Down Below 1957

Young Winston 1972

Dancehall Queen 1997
+
The Lonely Man 1957

When Bob Marley Came To Britain 2020

The Last Challenge 1967
+
4 months, 3 Weeks & 2 Days 2007
+
Chuka 1967

The Tailor (Il Sarto dei Tedeschi) 2015

Edith 2016
+
The Untouchables 1987
+
The Hanging Tree 1959
+
Ransom 1996
+
Run Silent, Run Deep 1958

Gunfight At The O.K. Corral 1957
+

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Recent? I think that's more films than I've watched in the last 10 years, @Chypmunk
That's because you rewatch Charlie's Angels and Young Guns every week
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

Suzume (2022)

So Makoto Shinkai's winning streak continues. His latest film doesn't disappoint. Suzume can easily hold its head up high beside Your Name and Weathering with You. Shinkai has proven himself a worthy filmmaker and storyteller, and Suzume continues that trend. The story is compelling, with plenty of surprises along the way, and as a result, Suzume moves briskly despite clocking in at 122 minutes as Shinkai's longest film to date. As you'd expect from Shinkai by now, the animation is stunning, especially in a theatrical context. The incredible musical score by RADWIMPS and Kazuma Jinnouchi dramatically enhances the experience, while RADWIMPS lead singer Yojiro Noda's Kanata Haluka and Toaka's Suzume close the film flawlessly. The English dub, a collab between Crunchyroll and Bang Zoom! Entertainment, is also excellent. Nichole Sakura is pitch-perfect as 17-year-old Suzume Iwato, a schoolgirl living an ordinary life in Kyushu until she encounters a mysterious young man searching for ruins and ends up having to close some doors, which takes her on a road trip across a sizable stretch of Japan. Josh Keaton is equally impressive as the young man in question, Sōta Munakata, a "closer" who closes doors that shouldn't be open, always found in ruins. Sōta unwillingly transforms into a chair for much of the film, hence why Suzume has to close the doors in his place. Jennifer Sun Bell is rock-solid as Tamaki Iwato, Suzume's aunt who took her in after her sister, Suzume's mother, lost her life in the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami, and eventually ends up joining Suzume on the road trip. Joe Zieja also impresses as Tomoya Serizawa, Sōta's friend who has good taste in music—watch out for a theme song from a Miyazaki classic when he accompanies Suzume and Tamaki on the road trip. Also, watch out for Shotaro Kaneda himself Cam Clarke as Hitsujirō Munakata, Sōta's ill grandfather, Makoto Kino/Sailor Jupiter herself Amanda C. Miller as Rumi Ninomiya, a bar owner who gives Suzume a ride to Kobe, Rosalie Chiang, who made a name for herself with last year's Turning Red, as Chika Amabe, a delivery driver about the same age as Suzume, and Lena Josephine Marano as Daijin, a cat/keystone who put a curse on Sōta, which is why he's a chair for the bulk of the film. The rest of the cast is also up to par, and the dub script is completely natural. Overall, Shinkai's latest is worth the watch. Suzume is fun, exciting, uplifting, poignant, and emotionally satisfying, and I'm glad I got to see it on the largest screen possible. I'm definitely buying it on Blu-ray and/or UHD down the road.

I forgot the opening line.

By May be found at the following website: http://www.impawards.com/2012/central_park_five.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=37439616

The Central Park Five - (2012)

It's become a familiar story by now. A police department is under pressure to solve a crime that's getting a lot of attention, so they coerce the first people they manage to lay their hands on to confess - with little investigative work or consideration over whether they have the right people. New York vented their fury at the Central Park Five, as did their fellow prison inmates - but as it turned out they were just 5 ordinary kids who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. It should have been noticed by the jury in each of the trials - all the confessions were wildly different from each other, and there was no other evidence. It just so happens that people trust the police and prosecutors that they are doing their jobs in the correct manner. That they wouldn't be doing what they're doing unless they're sure they have the right people in custody. If you don't know what the whole "Central Park Five" case was about, this is a pretty good documentary to fill you in. Netflix released the dramatization, When They See Us, in 2019.

7/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

SF = Zzzz

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

'Godland' (2023)

Directed by Hyldur Pálmason

Hlynur Pálmason's follow up to the excellent 'A White, white day' is Part Bergman, part Dreyer, part Scorsese's Silence, part Icelandic landscape documentary, part The Piano, with the eerie tone of the lighthouse and the visuals of a Mark Jenkin film.

It follows a Danish priest (Elliott Crosset Hove) who is sent to Iceland to set up a church. The journey is extremely tough, and with the help of his guide (the excellent Ingvar Sigurdsson) they try and traverse the harsh Icelandic terrain. The film is presented on a vignette style almost 4:3 aspect ratio which gives it an otherworldly feel, especially when coupled with the beautiful sparse Icelandic vistas. The subplot is that the priest is a keen photographer eager to capture his experiences and those of the people he meets – which is director Pálmason’s idea for the inspiration behind the film. He creates a false narrative that photographs were found that were purportedly taken by the Priest.

The journey descends into chaos, details of which are best left unspoilt in a review, but it’s safe to say the film is one of the best of the year so far.

8.7/10

A Good Person (2023)

This is OK, a bit of a potboiler about addiction. Florence Pugh plays a lady caught up in opioid addiction after after a car crash that was fatal for her passengers. Not awful but quite soapy.

Dark Star -

Peter Gibbons said it best: "human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day." Based on this movie, they also weren't meant to be stuck in tiny spaceships for dozens of years. That's the situation of Doolittle, Boiler, Talby and Pinback in this odd and silly sci-fi comedy that marks John Carpenter's directorial debut. Their mission: destroy unstable planets that put colonizable ones at risk. Besides having to do this on a spaceship that makes Apollo 13 seem roomy, the crew have to contend with a naughty alien, various deadly astrological phenomena, too smart for its own good AI and crushing boredom.

This movie is also notable for being the feature screenwriting debut of Dan O'Bannon (Alien). The moments that have his distinctive stamp on it are its brightest spots, especially when Pinback, the most anxious of the four (who O'Bannon plays) contends with the beach ball with chicken legs that is their stowaway. As that description implies, this is essentially a student film, but there's ingenuity to be found, whether it's the graphics in the space storm and the computer readouts or the use of ordinary objects like muffin trays and model kits as ship components. Most importantly, though, due to O'Bannon's flustered performance - it's too bad he didn't act more - and his wry dialogue, the movie is quite funny. With that said, this still isn't the easiest movie to watch. The close-quartered camerawork, while effective at conveying how cramped the ship is, is a bit on the ordinary side, so much so that the tedium the crew experiences became my own and not in a good way. Also, as wrong as it seems to criticize the performances in a student film, I wish the rest of the cast showed up like O'Bannon did. I still had a pretty good time overall, especially for the experience of getting to see how two of the late 20th century's best entertainers started out. Oh, and if it succeeds at anything, it's at conveying what Alien and Office Space also prove: work sucks.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I'm not 50% Rodent, y'know.: D
Both parts of Charlie's Angels, then.

Powerful movie. I enjoyed it very much. Nobody would guess that Andrea Riseborough is British. She never once lost the Texas accent in the movie. She’s really terrific in this movie.

Powerful dark movie about the grooming of a 17 year old girl by a 34 year old man. Lily McInerny is the girl & she is such a good actress who has only been in two things so far: this movie & a tv series (Tell Me Lies) in which she was equally good. She’s definitely someone to watch for the future. She’s 24, but looks, well, 17.

Dark Star -

Peter Gibbons said it best: "human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day." Based on this movie, they also weren't meant to be stuck in tiny spaceships for dozens of years. That's the situation of Doolittle, Boiler, Talby and Pinback in this odd and silly sci-fi comedy that marks John Carpenter's directorial debut. Their mission: destroy unstable planets that put colonizable ones at risk. Besides having to do this on a spaceship that makes Apollo 13 seem roomy, the crew have to contend with a naughty alien, various deadly astrological phenomena, too smart for its own good AI and crushing boredom.

This movie is also notable for being the feature screenwriting debut of Dan O'Bannon (Alien). The moments that have his distinctive stamp on it are its brightest spots, especially when Pinback, the most anxious of the four (who O'Bannon plays) contends with the beach ball with chicken legs that is their stowaway. As that description implies, this is essentially a student film, but there's ingenuity to be found, whether it's the graphics in the space storm and the computer readouts or the use of ordinary objects like muffin trays and model kits as ship components. Most importantly, though, due to O'Bannon's flustered performance - it's too bad he didn't act more - and his wry dialogue, the movie is quite funny. With that said, this still isn't the easiest movie to watch. The close-quartered camerawork, while effective at conveying how cramped the ship is, is a bit on the ordinary side, so much so that the tedium the crew experiences became my own and not in a good way. Also, as wrong as it seems to criticize the performances in a student film, I wish the rest of the cast showed up like O'Bannon did. I still had a pretty good time overall, especially for the experience of getting to see how two of the late 20th century's best entertainers started out. Oh, and if it succeeds at anything, it's at conveying what Alien and Office Space also prove: work sucks.
I haven't seen this since I first watched it in a theater on it's opening weekend. Back then, more often than not, you went in to most movies not knowing much of anything about them. You should have seen me trying to figure out what the hell I was watching when I bought a ticket for Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

You should have seen me trying to figure out what the hell I was watching when I bought a ticket for Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Did you go in with no knowledge of Monty Python and expecting something like Excalibur? That would be pretty funny.

Did you go in with no knowledge of Monty Python and expecting something like Excalibur? That would be pretty funny.
I had no idea what I'd gotten myself into the first time I saw it, but I still fell out of my chair laughing. Still one of my top 5 comedies. Hell, it might be #1.

I will say that some of the best film experiences I've had have been movies I went into "cold" - no idea what I was going to see. There is something to be said to being forced to watch something you wouldn't normally watch. And even if you would, there is still something to be said for being thrown in without mental preparation. The purpose of film is to overwhelm us. Big screen. Big sound. Immersion. You're somewhere else. The rational mind submits to a different order of reality and you're through the looking glass. Outside of music, storytelling is as close to magic as we've ever come as a species.

The Fast and The Furious: Tokyo Drift (A)

Classic story of a guy being sent to Japan after getting into trouble with the law in, presumably, Texas.

It's interesting to watch this after the nonsense of F9. There's some ridiculous stuff here, but it's really what Fast and Furious used to be all about. People angry about things and fighting each other in car races. Similar to how Yugioh has people settling high stakes issues with cards.

Outside of the comparison, this is a good, low stakes story of a cowboy in Japan getting it on with some yakuza lady and exploring the world of drifting. The car chases scenes are good and the wheels stay on the ground for the most part.

There's a kinetic feeling here, as there is in many early/mid 2000s movies that you don't see now. You feel the impacts. The cars get damaged. People get injured. It's all those elements that feel real that really add weight to the action. Honestly, watching this again made me not want to watch whatever happens next in the franchise. Absolute banger soundtrack as well. My Life Be Like and the eponymous theme get all the attention, but the opening hooks you in from the first minutes.

I'm not sure. I used to smoke a lot of the wacky terbacky back then. But it was a life altering experience with or without the herbal supplement. Kind of like the first time I listened to a Richard Pryor album.