The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

mark f

Mad Max: Fury Road (George Miller, 2015)
+

Some spectacular vehicular stunts occur near the beginning of the film with a particularly exposed Max (Tom Hardy) involved.
Parasite (Bong Joon Ho, 2019)
- 7.5/10
Parasite made mark f's ballot at #6:

1. La La Land (#5)
2. Nightcrawler (#55)
3. The Social Network (#6)
5. 1917 (#86)
6. Parasite (#1)
7. It's Such a Beautiful Day (#16)
10. Gravity (#34)
12. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (#44)
14. The Act of Killing (#47)
16. The Shape of Water (#52)
20. World of Tomorrow (#99)
24. Behemoth (one pointer)

This is obviously still going to go up, but according to the database query I just ran Speling's received 6,457 rep points from this thread so far.

Also, here's mark f's full ballot:

1. La La Land (#5)
2. Nightcrawler (#55)
3. The Social Network (#6)
4. These Amazing Shadows
5. 1917 (#86)
6. Parasite (#1)
7. It's Such a Beautiful Day (#16)
8.O.J.: Made in America
9. Green Book
10. Gravity (#34)
11. Incredibles 2
12. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (#44)
13. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
14. The Act of Killing (#47)
15. Dunkirk
16. The Shape of Water (#52)
17. They Shall Not Grow Old
18. How to Train Your Dragon
19. Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens
20. World of Tomorrow (#99)
21. The Missing Picture
22. The Salt of the Earth
23. A Man Called Ove
24. Behemoth (one pointer)

This is obviously still going to go up, but according to the database query I just ran Speling's received 6,457 rep points from this thread so far.
You guys should continue to upvote all my posts on this forum since I'm so awesome.

The Movie Forums Podcast

The Top 100 of the 2010s List Podcast

A quick little peek behind the scenes with first-time list Curator @SpelingError on surprises, lessons learned, and paying tribute to mark f.

The best way to listen is to subscribe with iTunes. The next best ways are to just download it with this link (or add the podcast feed into your RSS reader). Or you can just listen right now with this embedded player:

Great stuff, guys. Thanks for sharing!
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Also, I threw together a fun little tool to streamline the post-countdown sharing process (and alleviate the post-countdown depression):

Your Ballot Results

You can do a couple of things with this:
  • See all your films and where they ranked (NOTE: does not handle tiebreakers, so it's just a general range for some). Threw in some little stats about how many made various cutoffs, and automatically calculated each person's highest and lowest-ranked entry.
  • Easily grab some bbCode you can copy and paste into a post to share your ballot.
This is stupid handy

1. Ex Machina (2015) - 49th
2. Dredd (2012) - 42nd
3. Interstellar (2014) - 33rd

4. The Babadook (2014) - DNP 111th
Seriously MoFos

5. Joker (2019) - 60th
6. Blade Runner 2049 (2017) - 8th
7. Prisoners (2013) - 69th
8. The Hateful Eight (2015) - 20th
9. The Shape of Water (2017) - 52nd
10. Django Unchained (2012) 27th
11. Shutter Island (2010) - 76th
12. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019) - 7th

13. Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011) - DNP 261st
14. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014) - DNP 465th
15. War for the Planet of the Apes (2017) - DNP 343rd

Greatest trilogy of modern times. Hard to believe none of them cracked the 100. It's tough to get a trilogy right, and Apes totally smashed it.

16. Deadpool (2016) - 85th

17. Deadpool 2 (2018) - DNP 514th
Yeah ok, I kinda figured once the first movie showed up in 85th that this one wouldn't make it.

18. Logan (2017) - 46th

19. Avengers: Infinity War (2018) - DNP 124th
Surprised it didn't make it considering I think it's the stronger of the two final MCU movies.

20. Avengers: Endgame (2019) - 79th
21. The Martian (2015) -82nd
22. Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) - 2nd
23. Arrival (2016) - 12th
24. Inside Out (2015) - 59th

25. Snowpiercer (2013) - DNP 195th
No surprise it didn't make it but I liked it.

The truth is in here
I am so relieved Mad Max: Fury Road is not number 1.

Look, on a technical level the movie is extremely wellmade. The cinematography and overall look of the movie is gorgeous. It deserves all the praise it can get in this regard. And at first you are drawn into the story with an infectiously mad energy that promises a long exciting ride to come.

But here's the problem: I don't give a shit about the plot or the characters whatsoever. The plot almost feels like an afterthought, where you have these different elements thrown in, but they never get delivered with a satisfying pay-off or have you anxiously awaiting what's gonna happen next. As for the characters, Furiosa does inspire some intrigue, and Immortan Joe is a memorable presence as well, but the rest of them are well... MEDIOCRE! The three sex slaves are as bland as they can possibly be, having the least memorable personalities out of anyone in the movie. Even Max himself is incredibly boring, and a huge waste of Tom Hardy as an actor. He's relegated to pretty much nothing but a series of grunts, and whenever he speaks he doesn't have much of significance to say anyway. It's like they sucked all the depth and nuance they possibly could out of the character, which became even more noticeable for me years later when I got around to watching the first movie with Mel Gibson.
And even the action scenes as pretty as they are, get repetitive and tiresome after a while.

As for Parasite, I can support this one as the winner. Yes it's not my personal favorite, but it has all the elements that make for a great movie. The characters are all really likable and a joy to watch. Despite their actions being morally questionable you understand where they are coming from, and you're actually rooting for them to succeed with their scheme. And most of all, it's entirely unpredictable. There are few movies where you genuinely have no idea what could possibly happen, but this is definitely one of them. Even using descriptors would kinda be a spoiler, so I don't want to say too much. But seeing this in the theater was a wild experience, and definitely something that lingered in my mind afterwards. I still haven't gotten around to the rest of Bong's work yet (besides Snowpiercer, which I saw before this) but I certainly will at some point.

Every Featured MoFo Reviewer

I tried to feature as many people as possible. Here's a list of everyone who had their reviews listed here (including Letterboxd reviews) and the number of times their reviews made an appearance here.

MovieMeditation (2 reviews)
Iroquois (3 reviews)
Takoma11 (5 reviews)
Gideon58 (5 reviews)
TheUsualSuspect (4 reviews)
Torgo (2 reviews)
CeeGeeReviews
Thief (3 reviews)
Inconceivable
HashtagBrownies
Okay
Citizen Rules (2 reviews)
SmudgeEFC1985
Cobpyth (2 reviews)
ScarletLion (2 reviews)
KeyserCorleone (2 reviews)
thracian dawg
Optimus (2 reviews)
aronisred (2 reviews)
Thursday Next
MovieMad16 (2 reviews)
Holden Pike
dadgumblah
meatwadsprite
seanc (4 reviews)
rauldc14
Daniel M (2 reviews)
skizzerflake
Miss Vicky
Gatsby
cricket
JayDee (2 reviews)
Swan
ashdoc
Joel (2 reviews)
Sexy Celebrity (2 reviews)
doubledenim
Omnizoa (2 reviews)
donniedarko
Evan_Wheatley
thracian dawg
Yoda
Nope1172
CosmicRunaway
Sedai
The Rodent
PHOENIX74
The Sci-Fi Slob (2 reviews)
GulfportDoc
akatemple
The Gunslinger45
Jack1
ahwell
Allaby (2 reviews)
BraedenG33
mattiasflgrtll6 (2 reviews)
ueno_station54
Masterman
Justin
CaptainT
Weasel
TylerDurden99
Diehl40
mrtylerdurden
kkl10

Welcome to the human race...
Well, it only took until the very end of the list, but...two votes.

Mad Max: Fury Road was my #2. I did have this over It's Such A Beautiful Day when I redid my top 100 last year, but for this ballot I figured I'd give the edge to Hertzfeldt instead because this obviously did not need my help (and by the looks of it an extra point wouldn't have made much of a difference). Anyway, this bangs. I've seen it in theatres three times (and I just double-checked to ensure that, yes, that's the most I've seen any of these films in theatres alone) plus however many other viewings on home media because it demands it more than most of these films - in many ways the platonic ideal of what the 21st-century blockbuster should be, one that is admittedly beholden to many existing trappings like soft-rebooting an existing IP and making all manner of little call-backs to its predecessors' iconography but doing so a genuinely organic and innovative manner to the point where those aspects don't quite matter so much (and are arguably features as there's no need to watch dozens of prequels and spin-offs to make sense of its raw, elemental narrative).

Parasite was my #14. There's definitely room to question whether or not this really has merited as many superlative accolades as it has (especially its history-making Best Picture Oscar win) and I definitely don't think it's a perfect film by any means, but at the same time it's hard to deny just how effective it is. Despite the craftiness of the con artist family's plans, its class-conscious satire never settles for basic snobs-versus-slobs comedy and instead pushes for something much thornier as the twists and thrills escalate in a back half that Bong quite rightly warned people not to spoil for anyone. As far as best-of-the-decade champions go, you could definitely do a lot, lot worse.

So, just to recap, my final ballot...

1. It's Such a Beautiful Day (2012)
2. Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)
3. Silence (2016)
4. The World's End (2013)
5. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019)
6. Portrait of a Lady on Fire (2019)
7. The Hateful Eight (2015)
8. The Social Network (2010)
9. First Reformed (2018)
10. John Wick: Chapter Two (2017)
11. John Wick (2014)
12. Drive (2011)
13. Whiplash (2014)
14. Parasite (2019)

15. Labyrinth of Cinema (2019)
16. Blade Runner 2049 (2017)
17. Embrace of the Serpent (2015)
18. The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)
19. Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)
20. Everybody Wants Some (2016)
21. The Irishman (2019)
22. The Lighthouse (2019)
23. Before Midnight (2013)
24. The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)

25. Resident Evil: Retribution (2012)

Thanks again to SpelingError for hosting this countdown, Yoda da coda, and everyone who voted for (mostly) good movies.

I don't feel like elaborating on my thoughts, so in short, Mad Max: Fury Road didn't make my ballot since it's been years since I've seen it. Parasite made my ballot at #3 though.

Anyways, here's my full ballot:

1. The Tree of Life (#10)
2. Holy Motors (#51)
3. Parasite (#1)
4. Moonlight (#62)
5. The Florida Project (#14)
6. Inside Llewyn Davis (#22)
7. Upstream Color
8. Arrival (#12)
9. Cameraperson
10. Burning (#35)
11. A Ghost Story (near miss #119)
12. Take Shelter (#67)
13. Certified Copy (#84)
14. Exit Through the Gift Shop
15. Snowpiercer
16. Under the Skin (#54)
17. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (#7)
18. Tangerines
19. The Social Network (#6)
20. A Separation (#90)
21. It's Such a Beautiful Day (#16)
22. Shame
23. Hereditary (#96)
24. Good Time
25. Whiplash (#4)

18/25 of these films made the list.

The Movie Forums Podcast

The Top 100 of the 2010s List Podcast

A quick little peek behind the scenes with first-time list Curator @SpelingError on surprises, lessons learned, and paying tribute to mark f.

The best way to listen is to subscribe with iTunes. The next best ways are to just download it with this link (or add the podcast feed into your RSS reader). Or you can just listen right now with this embedded player:
Listening now
Spel's thoughts remind me of the headache I had doing the comic movies list
Also his thoughts on watching the list evolve as the months went on reminded me of when we had TDK as the #1... it was basically #1 from the start and didn't shift, like, at all, throughout the months the lists were coming in.
Good podcast, guys

It's really not gonna be the same doing a countdown without Mark, but I'm really happy he got to influence this one, and it was really lovely getting to see his thoughts littered up and down the thread, as if he were still here.

Anyways, time to listen to the podcast.
Just remember that everybody hates listening to their own voice.

Except me. I've risen above all that out of sheer frequency of exposure.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Also, I threw together a fun little tool to streamline the post-countdown sharing process (and alleviate the post-countdown depression):

Your Ballot Results

You can do a couple of things with this:
  • See all your films and where they ranked (NOTE: does not handle tiebreakers, so it's just a general range for some). Threw in some little stats about how many made various cutoffs, and automatically calculated each person's highest and lowest-ranked entry.
  • Easily grab some bbCode you can copy and paste into a post to share your ballot.
Really cool tool Yoda. This rocks

Here are my last three that didn't make it, and my full ballot...

#8. CAMERAPERSON
(2016, Johnson)

"[It] is not easy and it's not impossible."

Casually, this was a recommendation from @SpelingError himself a while ago, and what an impact it had on me. Kirsten Johnson's documentary is a look at life's struggles, regardless of who or where you are, but at the same time a celebration of life itself. The way that she weaves all these little snippets of her career with her personal life is just magical, and the end result is a poignant and moving collage of the challenges of humanity all around the world. Beautiful documentary.

#4. ANIARA
(2019, Lilja & Kågerman)

"We're all in a sarcophagus... a coffin."

Anybody that knows me here, probably won't be surprised by this one. I fell in love with this Swedish sci-fi film instantly. A great look at how we, as humans, look for hope and meaning in different things and different moments. It is an incredibly thought-provoking film that manages to circumvents the limitations of its budget with solid, subtle performances and a script that's bound to give you existential nightmares.

#3. US
(2019, Peele)

"It took years to plan. Everything had to be perfect. I didn’t just need to kill you. I needed to make a statement that the whole world would see. It's our time now."

Yet another one that I loved instantly, but has only grown in appreciation with further rewatches. To me, this is Peele's masterpiece, as he cleverly balances comedy and horror, a deliberate and meticulous direction, and excellent performances, especially from Nyong'o. It is one of those films where you feel like everything on screen has a purpose, and every word has some meaning, and every time I see it, I peel a new layer off of it and fell more in love with it.

Seen: 74/100

My ballot:  

Just remember that everybody hates listening to their own voice.

Except me. I've risen above all that out of sheer frequency of exposure.
I think that podcast we did made me realise I click my tongue at the start of a sentence... which I now can't unhear when it happens.