Tools    

398 points, 25 lists
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Director

Wes Anderson, 2014

Starring

Ralph Fiennes, Tony Revolori, Adrien Brody, Willem Dafoe

Trivia

The Grand Budapest Hotel - The scene in which Ludwig (Harvey Keitel) says "Good luck, kid!" before slapping Zero (Tony Revolori) across the face was shot forty-two times until Wes Anderson was satisfied. Keitel actually slapped Revolori each time.

This is the first time The Grand Budapest Hotel has appeared on a MoFo List.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Chalk that one up to my Wes Anderson blind spot.

MoFo Reviewer

The setting jumps between four distinct periods; the most interesting to us is the most remote, in 1932. Eccentric Gustave H, prominent concierge at the Grand Budapest Hotel, and his newly employed lobby boy Zero Moustafa live the end of the hotel's golden age as the war approaches the state of Zubrowka. Both will get themselves in serious trouble after the mysterious death of Céline, one of the numerous love aberrations of Gustave. Among her voluminous heritage lies a valuable painting that was willed to Gustave--blasphemy for her family who won't take half-measures to reclaim what should be rightfully theirs. Gustave and Zero will jump on a risky and whimsical adventure until the conflict of interests is settled for the best and the worst. I think it's safe to describe this as the darkest Wes Anderson movie, darkly fun that is. Both for the story and the characters, especially the brutal cold-blooded killer J. G. Jopling, who has become one of my favorites in Wes filmography. Willem Dafoe can really put together a convincing killer act. This playfully eccentric, witty and darkly fun movie is among Wes' most expressive works, in my opinion. The Grand Budapest Hotel abounds with memorable scenes, dark humor and the deviant Gustave H might very well be the most iconic character in this mannerist universe, great acting from Ralph Fiennes. Steve Zissou is still my favorite goon, though. The Grand Budapest Hotel shows greater maturity and assertiveness from Wes, who has been granted with more sophisticated technical wizardry and casting quality in his latter works.
Read the full review here.

Actor stats

Scarlett Johansson, Leonardo DiCaprio

Jessica Chastain, Chris Evans

Oscar Isaac, Jeremy Renner, Willem Dafoe, Samuel L. Jackson, Mark Ruffalo, Shea Whigham, Sebastian Stan, Domhnall Gleeson

The Grand Budapest Hotel is my #19.

SEEN 80/98
BALLOT 20/25

A system of cells interlinked
Like @Thief above, I think I have seen almost everything Wes Anderson has done except The Grand Budapest Hotel. So yea, no vote from me!

I liked The Grand Budapest Hotel quite a bit and it was in contention for a spot on my ballot but just missed out. Thought it might not need my help but a little (pleasantly) surprised to see it make Top Three.

mark f

The Grand Budapest Hotel (Wes Anderson, 2014)
+

Concierge Ralph Fiennes of the Grand Budapest Hotel is accused of murder and takes off.
The Grand Budapest Hotel didn't make mark f's ballot.

Very good film, I definitely need to watch it again as I love Wes Anderson and I feel like this could become a real favourite.

The top 2 contains one of my very favourite films of the decade and one of my least favourites... really curious for tomorrow

83/98 seen.

At least we finally had a decent jump in points and ballots. I mean it took until number four, fer cripe's sake, but at least it went from 18 ballots to 26 and sixty-six more points. I was seriously beginning to worry that the top choice might not even be on thirty ballots. It should at least crack that barrier.
Yep. The point gap of 66 between La La Land and Whiplash is the highest one so far, by a lot. The second biggest one was 19, and now 23 between Whiplash and The Grand Budapest Hotel.

Also, both Damien Chazelle and Wes Anderson join the list of directors with multiple entries on the countdown.

Finally, speaking to Whiplash's overall reception, it has the third highest IMDb score, just below two Nolan's: Inception and Interstellar.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
The singing, the dancing, the music. You know, the things that make a musical a musical.
Is it dropping the suspension of disbelief that people could randomly burst into song at any moment? Is it cringe worthy when other people in the film just happen to know all the words? I'm guessing you like music, but just not in the context of musicals/showtunes. Have you seen Cabaret?

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

Like @Thief above, I think I have seen almost everything Wes Anderson has done except The Grand Budapest Hotel. So yea, no vote from me!
I actually have only seen three Wes Anderson films hence, a Wes Anderson blind spot.

This is an interesting one, and one of the bigger surprises of the list for me. Not that it’s here but that it was so high. I had it as my #11, and thought I would have it a good ten spots higher than mofo. Wes Anderson is one of my favorite directors, and whether you love him or hate him you know why. He is bringing the same sensibilities every time, and he is bringing him dialed up to 11. If you like his aesthetic and sense of humor, you are going to dig it. If not, may as well move on. Grand Budapest is fantastic, and I am always here for more Wes. Good in mofo for rating this one so highly.

At some point before the list started I said this was a two horse race between Parasite and Mad Max. With all the surprises that took place, tomorrow will be no shock. I didn’t vote for either, but I hope Parasite wins. I find it far superior to the okay but very highly overrated Fury Road. However, I will get off the fence by saying I think Mad Max takes the win.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Eh, it's one of Anderson's best. But I'm too tired to say much more.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Okay, although since Rushmore I think that most Wes Anderson films have ranged from insufferable to tolerable, The Grand Budapest Hotel is an exception. I liked it! It's nowhere near Rushmore, but it's a pretty good marriage of style and content. Not on my list, but it's a fun watch.

Definitely didn't expect for The Grand Budapest Hotel to make it this high on the countdown. I've come across quite a lot of 'best of the 2010's' lists over the years, and I've never seen it ranked this high. Heck, I didn't even expect it to be in the top 50. Still though, I like surprises, so I'm glad to see it this high.

Anyways, I watched it a while ago and really enjoyed it back then. I love Anderson's style, and this proved to be a very aesthetically pleasing film to watch, both with the changing aspect ratio, the production design, and the way the colors pop. In regards to the story, even though the final 10-15 minutes or so felt a bit tacked on, I enjoyed that aspect for the most part as well. It didn't make my ballot as it's been too long since I saw it, but this probably would've been the Anderson film to make my ballot if I were to include one of his films (I didn't vote for any of them).