MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

From the first post in the thread-

Ties are broken by counting how many times the movie was voted for. If the tie is still not broken, then the highest it placed on an individual list will break the tie.
How are ties broken cause I want to know how I Walked with a Zombie made the list but Return of the Living Dead and Hellraiser 2 didn't.

Here'a screencap of the #101-110 That Missed, with the high-voter linked next to the films.

Kill List was my #5 and is my favorite wtf movie. I almost didn't vote for it because for me it's right on the line of what a horror movie is, and in fact I didn't include it on my top 100 horrors a couple of years back. There were 3 other eligible movies that would have made my top 10, except that they are not horror to me. I'm actually sort of glad it didn't make it. I just voted with my conscience the best I could.

Near Dark was my #9 and I am very surprised it did not make the cut. It was #29 on the first horror list that I didn't even participate in. My favorite vampire film.

Return of the Living Dead was 1 of my last 5 cuts, and I'm also a fan of The Burning, Train to Busan, The Fog, Raw, and Creep. I've seen Theatre of Blood but hardly remember it, and I don't care for any of the Hellraiser sequels.

Remember to private message me if you are interested in putting your own creative spin, on one movie of your choice, by becoming a Presenter. Four have committed, and there are six open positions remaining. The details will be negotiated in PM's.

Here'a screencap of the #101-110 That Missed, with the high-voter linked next to the films.

Omg that's devastatingly close! I really liked the Burning, Train to Busan, Theatre of Blood and The Return of the Living Dead, and Creep was No.16 on my list!

Voted for Train to Busan surprised it didn't make it, but I can live with it, feel bad for The Fog though, it was one of the titles that popped in my head 1 day after I submitted my list..

Kill List was my #5 and is my favorite wtf movie. I almost didn't vote for it because for me it's right on the line of what a horror movie is, and in fact I didn't include it on my top 100 horrors a couple of years back. There were 3 other eligible movies that would have made my top 10, except that they are not horror to me. I'm actually sort of glad it didn't make it. I just voted with my conscience the best I could.

Near Dark was my #9 and I am very surprised it did not make the cut. It was #29 on the first horror list that I didn't even participate in. My favorite vampire film.

Return of the Living Dead was 1 of my last 5 cuts, and I'm also a fan of The Burning, Train to Busan, The Fog, Raw, and Creep. I've seen Theatre of Blood but hardly remember it, and I don't care for any of the Hellraiser sequels.
believe it or not I forgot to include Near Dark on my list... it would've made the cut for sure. Badass flick

Surprised to see The House That Jack Built on here (and would it have been on here if it was released, say, 2 years ago?). I found it to be a lesser Trier film, despite probably being his most personal yet and therefore still interesting. And also, whatever Trier does is always more interesting than what usually comes out these days. Anyways, it was pretty good but didn’t bring a lot of new stuff to the table for the director. When it comes to Trier and horror I very much hope for Antichrist to pop up...

Yahoo! (I think) one of mine made the countdown...I Walked With A Zombie (1943)...Much better than Abbot and Costello Meet the Zombie...But I lost my list so I'm not sure. @Nostromo87 how about sending me my list back, please.

How old is the idea of a Zombie (or just a zombie) film? I though Night of the Living Dead started it, George Romero?

Zombies pre-date Romero, The big five you want to see are

1. I Walked With a Zombie (1943)

2. The Earth Dies Screaming (1964)

4. The Plague of the Zombies (1966)

5. White Zombie (1932)

6. Revolt of the Zombies (1936)

Oh and from my list

25. I Walked With a Zombie

@Nostromo87 any chance you could send me my list?
I have 2 saved in my files, and neither of them match Critters with 1 point and neither of them have The Fog included so I can't think what final list I actually sent in.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
The 1-Pointers, Part 1

Straight-Jacket (1964)
Selected by @Citizen Rules

The Hound Of The Baskervilles (1959)
Selected by @re93animator

Dead Heat (1988)
Selected by @Captain Spaulding
The 1-Pointers, Part 2

Stir Of Echoes (1999)
Selected by @TheUsualSuspect
The 1-Pointers, Part 3

When A Stranger Calls (2006)
Selected by @rauldc14

Jekyll & Hyde: The Musical (2001)
Selected by @gbgoodies

@Nostromo87, Great work putting this list together so fast. I think this is the fastest anyone has gotten the list started after the deadline for receiving lists.

From the 1-pointers:

I've seen Straight-Jacket (1964), and it's a good movie, but it didn't make my list.

The Hound Of The Baskervilles (1959) is another good movie, but it's not one that I considered for my list.

Dead Heat (1988) was on my watchlist for this countdown, but I ran out of time before getting a chance to watch it.

I saw Stir Of Echoes (1999) in the theater many years ago, and I remembered liking it, so I rewatched it for this countdown. It was on my potential list for a while, but it got cut in the last few days. I'm surprised to see it here as a 1-pointer. I thought it would have made the countdown.

I haven't seen the 2006 version of When A Stranger Calls, but I saw the original version many years ago, and I had planned to rewatch it for this countdown, but unfortunately, (or maybe fortunately ), I ran out of time for this movie too.

Jekyll & Hyde: The Musical (2001) was my 1-pointer. I bought this DVD at a garage sale a few years ago because it piqued my curiosity, and I thought it was terrific. I didn't even think of this for the horror countdown because it doesn't have a horror feel to it, but I saw it on my shelf a few days ago when I was finalizing my list. I was pleasantly surprised to find that IMDB tagged it as "horror". (This is the TV Movie that I asked about in the other thread.)

Jekyll & Hyde: The Musical was filmed live on stage in New York, so it has a Broadway show feel to it. I recommend it for anyone who likes musicals.

Haven't seen any of them ... though a Jekyll&Hyde musical starring Hasselfoff should really be worth it!
I've seen 10 of the 1-pointers, and while I'm familiar with most of the others, there are a couple that I've never heard of (a Jekyll and Hyde musical with Hasselhoff? Morbidly curious about that one now).
If you've only seen David Hasselhoff in stuff like "Knight Rider" and "Baywatch", you should see him in Jekyll & Hyde: The Musical. He proves that he really is a very good actor in this, and he can sing too.

Great job Nostro! Looking good.

I had the same idea as you did with choosing a one pointer that would represent "my type of film" which for me was Straight-Jacket. Both GBgoodies and Miss Vicky's 1 pointer are "their type of films" too. I just thought that was interesting.
I had a couple of reasons for choosing Jekyll & Hyde: The Musical as my 1-pointer. I knew it was a guaranteed 1-pointer because Nostromo87 said that I was the only person who asked if TV Movies were eligible for this countdown, but I also decided to put it last on my list just in case Nostromo87 decided it shouldn't be eligible. IMDB lists it as a "TV Movie", and it was shown on cable TV and pay-per-view, but I thought he might not want to accept it because it was filmed live on stage. If he decided it wasn't eligible, I wanted to make it easy to switch it without having to renumber my whole list.

I haven't seen anything on this list, but I considered watching a couple of these movies for this countdown.

I Walked With A Zombie (1943) was on my watchlist, but after watching a few zombie movies, I realized that I didn't like most zombie movies, so I decided to focus more on movies that had a chance to make my list.

I also wanted to watch The Fog (1980) for this countdown, but I couldn't find it before running out of time.

I like your formatting, but I wish you'd also list the director. The House That Jack Built just became way more intriguing finding out that Lars von Trier directed it.

@Nostromo87, in addition to adding the director, could you also add the number of votes the movie received, and maybe where they ranked on the lists? It's nice to know how many people voted for the movies, and how high they placed on individual lists.

Yahoo! (I think) one of mine made the countdown...I Walked With A Zombie (1943)...Much better than Abbot and Costello Meet the Zombie...But I lost my list so I'm not sure. @Nostromo87 how about sending me my list back, please.

@Nostromo87 any chance you could send me my list?
I have 2 saved in my files, and neither of them match Critters with 1 point and neither of them have The Fog included so I can't think what final list I actually sent in.

Every time we do one of these countdowns, I always BCC my list back to myself when I send it to the host. That way I don't have to worry about losing it because there's a copy of it in my inbox.

Every time we do one of these countdowns, I always BCC my list back to myself when I send it to the host. That way I don't have to worry about losing it because there's a copy of it in my inbox.

Actually, I've just scanned through my messages and there's a copy of my list in there.
I genuinely thought I'd wiped my messages.

I have seen both I Walked with a Zombie
+ and The House That Jack Built
. I liked the former a lot more than the latter, and we discussed on the Danish forum svingninger.dk whether Lars von Trier should keep on making movies.

Interesting start so far and i am glad my Kubrickean horror sci-fi Manden der tænkte ting made the one pointer list.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Isn’t there an option to see sent messages. That’s what I look at when I reference my list.

Disappointed Return of the Living Dead didn’t make it. It started the zombie eating brains craze. Classic horror comedy that I rewatch every Halloween.

Isn’t there an option to see sent messages. That’s what I look at when I reference my list.
In your Control Panel, in the left column, click the down arrow next to "Private Messages". You'll get a drop-down menu with your message folders. If you save your sent messages, one of your folders should be "Sent Items".