"Getting To Know You" Song Tournament

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I'm still catching up on this thread, but I wanted to let everyone know that due to the nature of the songs being more personal, this is a unique type of tournament that probably won't be done again for a while, so we'll find a way to make sure that everyone who wants to join will be able to.

If we end up with too many people joining, I'll find a way to make it work by changing the matches around if necessary. (Maybe a few more sets if necessary, or changing the number of matches per set, etc.) Nobody has to drop out to allow others to join. We'll make it work somehow.

Who knows, maybe we'll even get enough people to make it a mega-tournament?

Also, I sent Christine a PM about this tournament, so hopefully she'll join after her son's wedding, and Funny Face also said she was interested, so hopefully her internet issues will be fixed soon too, and she might be able to join.

What about Captain Spaulding? He told me he PM'ed you some songs?

I'm in no hurry to start, in fact I prefer it to start latter than sooner. I don't want to join in a mega tournament, as they go on an on and get boring towards the end. It's OK if you want to do a mega tournament, but please count me out if this becomes one.

What about Captain Spaulding? He told me he PM'ed you some songs?

I received a PM from him, but I haven't had a chance to read it yet. I didn't know that it was his songs. I added him to the list in the first post, and I'll forward his song list, (without reading it), as soon as we figure out who will be collecting the nominations.

I'm in no hurry to start, in fact I prefer it to start latter than sooner. I don't want to join in a mega tournament, as they go on an on and get boring towards the end. It's OK if you want to do a mega tournament, but please count me out if this becomes one.

Right now, we have 15 people who joined. If Christine joins on Monday, that will make 16 people, which would be a normal 128 song tournament.

So do I send you my songs gbg?

We're still trying to find someone who's not joining the tournament to collect the nominations (through private messages), and forward them to me without the names of the people who nominated them.

I posted a message about it in the Chill Club, so hopefully we'll get a response.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...46#post1406446

I don't see the big deal about keeping the nominations secret. As soon as any of my songs show up, I'll explain why I picked them.

I don't see the big deal about keeping the nominations secret. As soon as any of my songs show up, I'll explain why I picked them.

The idea is to make a game out of it where people can guess who nominated the songs. It's only a secret until people start guessing. Then after people start guessing, when you feel it's the right time, you can decide when to tell people if they got your nominations right.

It's just a fun way to find out how much we know about each other, and maybe even learn a little more about each other as we go along.

Can I make a suggestion?

Since there's gonna be secretive nominating... if anybody nominates something already nominated... don't make them change a song. Keep them both in, even if they're the same song.

I think that would be interesting to see if it did happen -- to see two or maybe even more people share a personal song in common. They could all be credited for it if it wins.

Plus, someone might nominate something really meaningful to them... only to have to give it up.

So I think that in this case, duplicate nominations should be allowed and accepted, if it happens. What's it gonna hurt? Doubles the chances of it winning. So what? This is a different kind of tournament.

I think this is a great idea.

Duplicate nominations should be allowed, and if a song that more than one person nominated wins, then everyone who nominated it should be credited as the winners.

You have to nominate songs that express who you are or songs that describe yourself.

It's like a biographical song tournament. A personal one. It could include your favorite song, a song that really means something to you, etc. etc.

The songs can be personal to you in any way that you can imagine. For example, one of my songs is a song that my father used to sing karaoke style with me when I was a kid, so it always makes me think of him when I hear it,

We send nomination to you gbg ?

We send nomination to you gbg ?

No, not yet. We're still trying to find someone who's not joining the tournament to collect the nominations (through private messages), and forward them to me without the names of the people who nominated them.

I posted a message about it in the Chill Club, so hopefully we'll get a response.

No, not yet. We're still trying to find someone who's not joining the tournament to collect the nominations (through private messages), and forward them to me without the names of the people who nominated them.

good to know before I send them all

I'm def in GBG, but not had the time to read through all the posts dont understand why you're looking for someone else to receive the noms?

I'm def in GBG, but not had the time to read through all the posts dont understand why you're looking for someone else to receive the noms?

The idea of having the nominations private is so that we can all guess at who nominated what songs, so Chypmunk suggested that someone who's not playing collect the nominations and pass them along to me, without the names of who nominated what songs, so that I can play along too.

I think that part of the discussion started around here.