Song Tournament # 8 The Mega Tournament

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
The 13 from this tournament plus Jiraffe, Christine, and gbgoodies-perfecto

I was thinking about joining this, but I read the rules, and it sounds like I have to come up with 16 songs that other people will vote for. I primarily listen to country music and showtunes, so I'm not sure if I know that many songs that you will all know, (or like).

Does anyone else here listen to country music, or should I stay away from country and try to find some more mainstream stuff?

My song choices on the other song thread were some of the oldies that I really like, but as you can see, most of my choices were voted out pretty quickly.

I was thinking about joining this, but I read the rules, and it sounds like I have to come up with 16 songs that other people will vote for. I primarily listen to country music and showtunes, so I'm not sure if I know that many songs that you will all know, (or like).

Does anyone else here listen to country music, or should I stay away from country and try to find some more mainstream stuff?

My song choices on the other song thread were some of the oldies that I really like, but as you can see, most of my choices were voted out pretty quickly.
It doesn't matter, it's all for fun

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I'm only one other person, but I really like showtunes. As far as country, it depends. I don't like new mainstream stuff, but there is a ton of country out there I do like. I like Cash, Nelson, Parton, Twitty, Loretta Lynn, George Jones, stuff around that era.

As for current stuff, I love William Elliot Whitmore.

I really don't know how either of those genres will fair, but my music usually doesn't do that well. I have fun anyway.

If you want to participate, sign up gbgoodies.

Like Cricket said, it's just for fun. Some people take it really seriously and pick their nominations based on what they think will win. Others just choose what they like to listen to. It's a good way for everybody to get exposure to music outside their comfort zones. Songs that are too far outside of the familiar don't tend to do as well, but it's still fun to see how people react.

I'm only one other person, but I really like showtunes. As far as country, it depends. I don't like new mainstream stuff, but there is a ton of country out there I do like. I like Cash, Nelson, Parton, Twitty, Loretta Lynn, George Jones, stuff around that era.

As for current stuff, I love William Elliot Whitmore.

I really don't know how either of those genres will fair, but my music usually doesn't do that well. I have fun anyway.

I love old classic country. That's when music was really music. Everything from Hank Sr., Eddy Arnold, Jim Reeves, etc. to Don Williams, Kenny Rogers, and up through about the mid-1980s with George Strait, Ricky Van Shelton, Wade Hayes, etc.

A lot of the new country stuff is closer to rock than to country, but there are a few current singers I like, like Blake Shelton and Brad Paisley.

If you want to participate, sign up gbgoodies.

Like Cricket said, it's just for fun. Some people take it really seriously and pick their nominations based on what they think will win. Others just choose what they like to listen to. It's a good way for everybody to get exposure to music outside their comfort zones. Songs that are too far outside of the familiar don't tend to do as well, but it's still fun to see how people react.

Okay, I'm in. I'll try to keep my song choices mainstream, but with 16 songs, I don't know if I can, so you've all been warned.

I didn't see any specific genres in the rules. Did I miss them, or is any genre okay?

Any type of song is good and you can probably submit your choices tomorrow. You just have to check this thread to see if Godoggo has given the go ahead.

I'm going to start nominating my songs based on the categories Godoggo gave. I'll do that in this post.

Or, maybe not.

I'm going to start nominating my songs based on the categories Godoggo gave. I'll do that in this post.

Sexy Celebrity's Nominations
Think she said to wait until she gives the go ahead

I'm in no doubt !

and i'm ....

I wish we would take a 2-3 week break before doing yet another song tournament, but they are fun and addicting, so I'll join this one as well.

It's possible that I won't be able to get online for a few days next week, so depending on how early this tournament starts (preferably later in the week), I might miss a few votes early on. Or I might not. Just in case, though, it'd be best if I could submit my nominations before the end of the weekend (and the sooner the better).

When you say a nomination has to be 10 years after we were born, does that mean, like, exactly ten years? For instance, I was born in 1987, so does that mean I'll have to nominate a song from 1997? Or can it be anytime after that 10 years, like 2001 or 2004 or any other year?

Also, when you say we have to nominate a song from the year we were born, are you going by the release date of the album or the release date of the single? Appetite for Destruction came out in 1987, but "Paradise City" wasn't released as a single until the following year. If possible, though, I'd like for that song to be my birth-year nomination. (And since a lot of songs aren't released as singles, I guess you have to go by the album date anyway.)