The Return of Godoggo's Creature Feature Tournament

Tools    

Ginger Snaps is the best. Insidious is terrible.
Insidious is awesome in my opinion .

It appears a lot of people have a much broader definition than I do.
It's not broader, G, it's wrong. Probably the same people who consider Silence Of The Lambs to be a horror film.

I think you're confusing cartoons with animation.
No, you're making the distinction.

Anyway, what do you have against animation? Can't you appreciate people's drawing skills?
No.

2. Frankenstein - James Whale vs Bad Taste - Peter Jackson

4. Invasion of the Body Snatchers - Don Siegel vs An American Werewolf in London – John Landis
I've just decided to vote for the films I think are closer to being creature features. I'm hoping to watch Pan's Labyrinth this weekend, so I can vote for Sharktopus. Unless Pan's really is a creature feature, but I don't think it's going to be.

I think I will vote for movies that are more creature featurey from now on, too. I should have nominated only creature features, I don't know why the hell I nominated Pan's Labyrinth.

But that doesn't make a creature feature, does it? I mean, there are creatures in 50 First Dates, but no one thought about nominating that. Actually, looking at some of the choices, I'm not overly confident with that statement.

Well, in the "Creature Feature" sense, it's creatures as in monsters right? So animals don't count, but the monsters in Pan's Labyrinth do, right?

Oh, someone should have nominated Labyrinth...

I don't know, I couldn't really find a very specific definition online. But I get the feeling that it leans towards a monster being the focal point of the film, like the main antagonist.

Didn't you nominate it because there's creatures in it?
Yeah, but I shouldn't have. It's not at all a creature feature.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Winners Round 1/ Week 1

1. Pan's Labyrinth - Guillermo del Toro
2. Frankenstein - James Whale
3. Ginger Snaps - John Fawcett
4. An American Werewolf in London – John Landis
5. Predator - John McTiernan
6. Jaws - Steven Spielberg
7. Piranha (1978) - Joe Dante
8. Them! - Gordon Douglas

Match 2 is a tie. I need someone who hasn't voted in that match yet to break it and vote for Frankenstein. ( or Bad Taste)

Round 1/Week 2

1. King Kong Escapes - Ishirô Honda vs Nightbreed - Clive Barker

2. Nosferatu the Vampyre - Werner Herzog vs Gal Force: Eternal Story - Katsuhito Akiyama

3. Bambi - Disney vs Fantastic Planet - René Laloux

4. The Curse of Kazuo Uzemu - Naoko Omi vs Troll Hunter - Andre Ovredal

5. The Host - Bong Joon Ho vs Terminator 2 - James Cameron

6. Tremors - Ron Underwood vs Cloverfield - Matt Reeves

7. Open Water - Chris Kentis vs Razorback (1984) - Russell Mulcahy

8. King Kong (1933) - Merian C. Cooper vs Starship Troopers - Paul Verhoeven

I've got a few to watch this time. Definitely watching King King Escapes and The Curse... as I get credit for those elsewhere.

Derek Someone else nominated Starship Troopers before you, so I need another nomination from you.

3. Bambi - Disney vs Fantastic Planet - René Laloux (okay I know Fantastic Planet isn't really a creature feature but BAMBI!?!?!)

6. Tremors - Ron Underwood vs Cloverfield - Matt Reeves

3. Bambi - Disney vs Fantastic Planet - René Laloux

Again, I've gone for those that are, IMO, closer to creature features. The Host definitely is, but it's a shame as I'd much rather watch T2, but I can't call it a creature feature by any stretch of the imagination. Ditto, King Kong and Starship Troopers, although, ST is closer to one than T2.

FFR, the three main type of creature feature go along these lines. Giant creature vs humans/other animal, mass of animals vs humans and radioactive/atomic/genetically altered creature vs humans/other animal. I personally think of the second type as more disaster movies than creature features, but I can understand them being considered creature features. Others take into account the old horror staples (Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, The Wolfman, etc) and, again, I'm fine with those, though it's not what comes to mind when I think creature feature.