The Resident Bitch's Movie Log

→ in
Tools    

While I'd probably agree with you about this film, MV, I've not seen it. However, what you say here is pretty much how I feel about all these films. Sorry.

Conspiracy can be laid to rest. Miss Vicky is not a ten year old boy. Rest easy Mofo.

I actually haven't sat through the whole thing MV, but my boys think it's hilarious.
While I've never been a boy, I'm pretty sure I would've hated this if I'd seen it when I was ten.

Also Dreamworks sucks.
Dreamworks has a spotty record, but I wouldn't say they suck. I love the Shrek films (not counting the Puss in Boots movie), Over the Hedge, and How to Train Your Dragon. I also like Madagascar and Monsters Vs. Aliens. I also don't mind Shark Tale.

While I'd probably agree with you about this film, MV, I've not seen it. However, what you say here is pretty much how I feel about all these films. Sorry.

The Emoji Movie (Tony Leondis, 2017)
Imdb

Date Watched: 03/29/18
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: I'm beginning to suspect that I might be a bit of a masochist
Rewatch: No.

Possible Spoilers Ahead (as if you care)

As I sat through The Emoji Movie, one thought kept repeating in my head: This is a poor man's Wreck-It Ralph.

And by "poor," I mean destitute, homeless, and starving. The story centers around Gene, a character in a digital world who doesn't quite fit the role his society has assigned to him and he sets out on a mission to make things right. Perhaps in a bid to avoid outright plagiarism from that other, superior film, this protagonist isn't seeking to prove that he can be something else, but rather he's seeking to become what he is expected to be. And in his quest he teams up with a fellow outcast - who turns out to be a princess (sound familiar?) - and they form a bond.

Along the way, there's lots of site gags and references to real games and apps, but whereas this produced a nostalgic and warm feeling in Wreck-It Ralph, here it just feels tedious and uninspired. Which pretty much sums up the film itself.

And yet, somehow, I didn't actively hate it. Mind you, I didn't like it, but I never actually found myself audibly groaning or wanting to hurl objects and profanity at the screen. I was mostly just apathetic to it. I was the "Meh" that Gene was supposed to be.

-

As I sat through The Emoji Movie, one thought kept repeating in my head: This is a poor man's Wreck-It Ralph.

And by "poor," I mean destitute, homeless, and starving.

I do think your crusade to see all the western animated films is taking you to some dark places. Also
might be the highest rating i've seen for it.

Welcome to the human race...
I wouldn't mind such a comparatively high rating if it weren't also higher than the one you gave out for Captain Underpants.

I wouldn't mind such a comparatively high rating if it weren't also higher than the one you gave out for Captain Underpants.
Rating The Emoji Movie higher than Captain Underpants was deliberate. I was apathetic to the former and actively hated the latter.

Ferdinand (Carlos Saldanha, 2017)
Imdb

Date Watched: 04/06/18
Reason For Watching: I needed entertainment while I exercised

Well this was stupid. Not that I was expecting a lot from it. I just needed something to keep me mildly entertained while I was on the treadmill, since it was too rainy to take a walk yesterday. And the film served that function well enough.

I did like the look of Ferdinand. I thought the animation and character designs were solid, if not particularly impressive. I also thought the voice performances were fine. Not great, but nothing to complain about. Unfortunately my praise ends there.

The movie tries far too hard to be funny and it more often left me scratching my head than emitting even a faint chuckle. Useless characters (like the Scottish Highland bull named "Angus" who was supposed to be funny because... Scottish characters are inherently funny... or something? WTF) and irritatingly stupid situations (like a dance off between the bulls and some neighboring horses) were shoehorned-in (in what I can only assume was an effort to pad the story to feature length) and I felt like I could feel my IQ dropping from just watching it.

All that said though, I went into this movie expecting it to be stupid, so I can't say I was really disappointed. I had held a small hope though of at least getting a tinge of nostalgia from it. I enjoyed The Story of Ferdinand - the children's book on which the film is based - quite a lot when I was a kid, but there was no warm feeling to be had. The basic ideas of the book are here, but they're just so diluted with stupid attempts at humor that the film fails to achieve any emotional impact. I still hated it less than Captain Underpants though. So there's that.

+

Jurassic World (Colin Trevorrow, 2015)
Imdb

Date Watched: 10/27/16
Reason For Watching: I stayed home sick from work and wanted some mindless entertainment
Rewatch: Yes, I think this was my fourth time seeing it

I know this is not an especially popular film around here, but I do not and likely never will understand the hate it gets. I've seen people complain about there being "nothing new" here and they say that the characters are flat. I really have to ask (again) what were people expecting? It was only ever going to be a movie about a dinosaur amusement park where the dinosaurs break free and start killing people, just like the three Jurassic Park movies that came before it. And I don't recall any real depth to any of the characters in those other films, nor do I care much about characters in a film like this.

I care about people being hunted by giant predators and I care about cool special effects. Jurassic World has plenty of both.

-
I thought Jurassic world was a good film. A new take on it sort of. This film deserves some love around here. Good pick miss Vicky

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Useless characters (like the Scottish Highland bull named "Angus" who was supposed to be funny because... Scottish characters are inherently funny... or something? WTF)
You mean we're not?

Sorry you've had such a rough run with the recent animated films. Hopefully something comes along soon to break your bad run. Incredibles 2 maybe?

Hopefully something comes along soon to break your bad run. Incredibles 2 maybe?
It does look good, but - except for Toy Story 3 - all of Pixar's sequels and prequels have fallen well short of the quality of the originals. Here's hoping that's not the case again.

The Emoji Movie should have been deleted, if not send to the trash.
It's better than Captain Underpants.
Captain underpants was crap. My 8 year old daughter even got bored of it.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
It does look good, but - except for Toy Story 3 - all of Pixar's sequels and prequels have fallen well short of the quality of the originals. Here's hoping that's not the case again.
There was actually an animated film I heard about recently that made me think of you as I thought it might appeal to you. Was called Breadwinner I believe. Looked a million miles away from stuff like Ferdinand and Emoji Movie; much more in the vein of Persepolis and Waltz With Bashir, both of which I believe you were a fan of

Call Me By Your Name (Luca Guadagnino, 2017)
Imdb

Date Watched: 04/12/18
Reason For Watching: I'd heard good things about it

I watched this a few days ago, but I've had a very difficult time coming up with something to say about it.

I went into this film expecting to really like it a lot, but came away only thinking it was pretty good. I'm not sure how much of the fault there lies with the film though as everything about it was solid. It looked great, the performances were good and the story was interesting. And yet I felt a sort of disconnect from it all.

Perhaps I just wasn't in the right mood for a slow burn drama like this and I do plan to revisit it at some point in the future. Here's hoping I get better results next time.

-