What do you think of I Spit On Your Grave (1978)?

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
So I keep hearing about this 70s controversial cult horror classic, and decided to check it out.

SPOILERS

I felt that the movie had a very misandrist feel to it perhaps. I know that it's about one woman who wants revenge on the men that raped her of course, but it feel misandrist in the sense that there was not one good male character in the movie to balance things out. They are all evil, which makes it come off that way to me.

The movie was written by a man though, so I would assume he didn't intend it to be a knock against though, even though that's what it came off as.

The villains in the movie are also stupid. I mean none of these guys think that it's odd how she seduces them back after, as if they are not expecting it to possibly be any sort of trick at all.

I mean how can a guy have sex with a woman, and not notice at all, that she is putting a noose around his neck during the sex?

And later, how can a guy take a bath with a woman and not notice that is bringing a knife into the bathtub, when she is right there in front of him with the knife?

It just seemed so poorly written to have not only stupid villains but to have this misandrist feel by not having any non-evil male characters.

But what do you think, perhaps I am looking at it wrong?

You should watch the remake if you have seen it, I think it's better than the original. It might have some flaws but hey most movies have them. I like how the remake is watered down and gets to the point into things, the revenge scenes are brutal and sweet good revenge on her attackers. In the movie you might wonder how this woman can get these guys around and into their traps. For me I just use my own imagination on how she does it, I can think a few ways she could be doing this. Some might doubt, but I wouldn't doubt a pissed off vengeful woman

Okay thanks, I did see the remake first actually. What do you mean that it's watered down? I actually thought the remake was more violent actually.

But it to has scenes that are not as well thought out.

SPOILERS

Such as how does a woman disolve a man's head in lie, but then is able to put her own bare hand in the lie, and pull his head out afterwards without suffering any damage to her hand?

Or does she just set up one bare trap, out of the entire forest and it manages to actually get the guy when there is just one? I know movies are not meant to be perfect but I felt that the remake had poor writing in it as well, which is what made me want to check out the original.

Okay thanks, I did see the remake first actually. What do you mean that it's watered down? I actually thought the remake was more violent actually.

But it to has scenes that are not as well thought out.

SPOILERS

Such as how does a woman disolve a man's head in lie, but then is able to put her own bare hand in the lie, and pull his head out afterwards without suffering any damage to her hand?

Or does she just set up one bare trap, out of the entire forest and it manages to actually get the guy when there is just one? I know movies are not meant to be perfect but I felt that the remake had poor writing in it as well, which is what made me want to check out the original.
Sorry I meant watered down on the rape scene, revenge scenes were awesome on the remake though. The lye part I can give you that, that was weird, since her hand wasn't getting burnt from the lye.

Yes the writing wasn't the best and I think they could of improved on some stuff, but since this movie is more of a guilty pleasure for me, it didn't bother me that much.

Oh okay, I didn't really care for the revenge scenes and I felt they were overdone, and went on too long, like yeah, it's revenge we get the point sort of thing.

Oh okay, I didn't really care for the revenge scenes and I felt they were overdone, and went on too long, like yeah, it's revenge we get the point sort of thing.
Just like the rape scene in the original went on for too long, it's like we get the point already. I guess in this movie the people that made the movie wanted to have the revenge scene get more time

Yep I agree the rapes both went on too long. That's why I like a rape and revenge movie like The Last House on the Left (the original) cause I felt that although it wasn't short and sweet, it was not near as overlong.