Ahwell's Lists and Projects

→ in
Tools    

There's comments for lists or movies watched.
Can a person comment on the movie they watched or just others?
You can comment on any review of any movie on Letterboxd, as well as lists that people make.

Update: I just watched Little Women and I can say that would have made my best of the decade list instead of Toy Story 4. What a wonderful film!

#1 Annie Hall vs. #16 What's Up, Doc?

1. Originality

Annie Hall
Both of these movies take old genres and twist them, "What's up Doc?" being the 30s screwball comedy, and Annie Hall being the classic romantic comedy. Annie Hall is more creative, using a non-linear plot and weaving in delightful bits of hilarious dialogue and depressing moments.

2. Script/Screenplay

Annie Hall
This movie is so witty! Woody Allen is a great writer, and we get plenty of cultural and movie references, from documentaries about World War II to Fellini. It's a hilarious movie as well, and the script is really top notch.

3. Humor

Annie Hall
What's Up, Doc? is funny, don't get me wrong. But I laugh much more watching Annie Hall, with it's delightful bits of pessimistic and depressive dialogue. The acting - especially from Diane Keaton - elevates to a laugh-out-loud comedy as well.

4. Characters

Annie Hall
Keaton's Annie Hall is one of the most delightful screen characters of all time. Her character is so unique - she's funny, awkward, yet can be angry and depressed at times too. She's a real human being, and along with Alvy Singer the characters in this movie are delightful.

5. Music/Sound

Annie Hall
Annie Hall singing "Seems Like Old Times" at the end gives me chills. The soundtrack isn't too jam packed, but it has great moments. The little clip of Mozart's Jupiter Symphony is always nice, and the jazz/blues/40s music thrown in is awesome.

6. Themes/Values

Annie Hall
Once again, Annie Hall has superior themes and ideas. I love how love is portrayed as a complex and multi-faceted thing in this movie. Alvy and Annie both struggle with it, and there's no clear solution. But at the end there is a melancholy, peaceful, acceptance that sometimes things just don't work out.

7. Structure/Pacing

Annie Hall
And it's no contest here, either. Annie Hall paces itself beautifully, jumping back and forth in time to examine how Alvy and Annie end up in shambles. The post-production choices (subtitles, animation, etc.) are awesome and I just love the way this film looks and is structured.

Annie Hall - 7
What's up, Doc? - 0

Winner: #1 Annie Hall

#3 Airplane vs. #14 The Lady Eve

It's been a while!!!!!!!! No, I have not forgotten/given this up. I've just been watching some different movies lately, I will try to get to all of these fairly soon!

1. Originality

Airplane!
Airplane! wasn't groundbreaking, but it sure had some original and fun jokes. A lot of them have aged today, but whereas The Lady Eve is just really good at what it does, Airplane! edges it out originality wise.

2. Script/Screenplay

The Lady Eve
While the Airplane! has decidedly more laughs, The Lady Eve is the more polished and wonderful script. That is no surprise as these Old Hollywood writers sure knew what they were doing, and every phrase and idiom in this movie is so perfectly placed

3. Humor

Airplane!
Airplane! still holds up as hilarious today, and I don't think you can say that for every movie. I laugh out loud at many moments, even if they're not particularly "clever". There's no question Airplane! has aged better humor-wise.

4. Characters

The Lady Eve
Our two main characters in the Lady Eve are much much better than anything Airplane! has to offer, they're two people I would love to actually meet and be friends with. So well written, fleshed out, and easy to feel for.

5. Music/Sound

Airplane!
While there's certainly nothing wrong with the delightful and classic music of the Lady Eve, Airplane! is some great musical moments, including the Jaws-style opening and the guitar song. Good stuff!

6. Themes/Values

The Lady Eve
You could argue that neither of these movies have any true themes, but I think The Lady Eve has very interesting things to say about "masculine" and "feminine" and how they contribute to our culture. A great "gender swap" type of movie.

7. Structure/Pacing

Airplane!
To say there is a structure to Airplane! might be a stretch, but that's also what makes it so brilliant. I love how it can keep so energetic the entire way through, going lightning speed and never stopping to apologize to someone for offending.

Airplane! - 4
The Lady Eve - 3

Winner: #3 Airplane!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
#3 Airplane vs. #14 The Lady Eve

Airplane! - 4
The Lady Eve - 3

Winner: #3 Airplane!

I would agree that Airplane! is the funnier movie of the two movies, but IMO The Lady Eve is the better movie of the two movies.

I would agree that Airplane! is the funnier movie of the two movies, but IMO The Lady Eve is the better movie of the two movies.
That’s fair for sure, although I think Airplane is both better and funnier. Very close in my book for both tbh

#6 A Fish Called Wanda vs. #11 My Man Godfrey

1. Originality

A Fish Called Wanda
A Fish Called Wanda places (relatively) ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances, to absolutely bizarre results. My Man Godfrey is interesting in that it is a more soft hearted 30s comedy, but I still think A Fish Called Wanda takes the cake.

2. Script/Screenplay

A Fish Called Wanda
Once again, A Fish Called Wanda edges it out - I think the script is smart, fast, and delightfully entertaining!

3. Humor

A Fish Called Wanda
I laughed much harder at all of Fish Called Wanda than anything in My Man Godfrey - I don't know if that says more about me or the movies, but since it's my personal preference I'll go with the former once again.

4. Characters

A Fish Called Wanda
The characters here are both likeable and interesting, you feel the actors perfectly playing their role and I love every minute of it.

5. Music/Sound

A Fish Called Wanda
Neither of these have outstanding scores, but a Fish Called Wanda's is sure suave and entertaining!

6. Themes/Values

My Man Godfrey
Working doubly as an entertaining comedy and a social commentary, My Man Godfrey is wonderful at subverting viewer expectations and letting the poor meet - and comment on - the rich.

7. Structure/Pacing

A Fish Called Wanda
While My Man Godfrey drags slightly, A Fish Called Wanda keeps up it's frenetic pace the entire damn time!! That's impressive!!

A Fish Called Wanda - 6
My Man Godfrey - 1

Winner: #6 A Fish Called Wanda

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
#6 A Fish Called Wanda vs. #11 My Man Godfrey

A Fish Called Wanda - 6
My Man Godfrey - 1

Winner: #6 A Fish Called Wanda

These are two great movies, but they're very different, so it's hard to compare them. A Fish Called Wanda is definitely the funnier movie of the two movies, but My Man Godfrey is better to watch if I just want a nice rom-com.

I'm not sure which I would pick as the winner of this match. It would just depend on my mood at the time.