The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Love Alien. I had it at 10 on my list.
Since I was young I always saw wimpy women roles in action films back then. My dad always used to laugh at me complaining when in a chase through the jungle say, the woman would always trip up and need rescuing. That was so annoying to a kid who spent her days climbing trees and playing footie. I liked roles like Kate in The African Queen, she wasn't scared in the end to get her hands dirty when she got over her primness, When I saw Ripley I loved her to pieces. She's a proper woman with spirit and fight in her. She's great

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I used to kinda like Alien as a kid, but now that I rewatched it I thought it's mediocre. A
over-hyped flick.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Alien wasn't on my list because it's a little bit too much horror for the sci-fi fan in me, but I can certainly see why it's so high in the countdown. It's a great movie, and it deserves to be ranked this high.

Alien is the perfect blend of sci fi, with intelligent and suspenseful horror.

So many classic & unique scenes in Alien....I swear that every time someone gets over the flu and then sets down at the dinner table for the first time in days, I half expect a small Alien to burst out of their stomach...More spaghetti???

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I really love Alien, but t was one of the films that didn't make my list. Really, there were about 40 films which could have been on my list, depending... but I'm happy to see it here. I remember seeing it several times on the Big Newport's humongous screen and later at FILMEX's 50-hour horror marathon back-to-back with The Exorcist. Even after all these years and newer movies, it still has the strong basic foundation, combined with a sense of originality due to Giger's art directon and creature designs, to qualify as one of the scariest, most-visionary horrors and sci-fis ever made. Here are some thankfully-brief quotes from earlier posts.
Alien (Ridley Scott, 1979)

Alien is a classic and one of those films which should be seen on as large a screen as possible. True, it borrows a lot from It! The Terror from Beyond Space and Planet of the Vampires, but its budget and technical/creative team (including H.R. Giger) allow it to be far more spectacular than those low-budget flicks. Alien is a terriifc example of a sci-fi/horror flick. The first half is mind-bending sci-fi showing things which had never really been shown before, especially within what appeared to be such spectacular and wide-open sets (even if some were matte paintings). The second half is one of the better claustrophobic monster-on-the-loose flicks aboard the spaceship. This film should really belong in the mafo's MoFo 100 List.
My fave Alien scene is the long scene down on the planet where they find an enormous underground world, and the eggs on the surface. Then John Hurt sticks his head down a little too close...POW! For me, that scene climaxes with the chest buster.

Alien was my #1...

1. Alien - 5th
2. Deliverance - 51st
4. Close Encounters Of The Third Kind - 14th
7. The Deer Hunter - 38th
8. Carrie - 36th
11. Superman The Movie - 23rd
13. The Exorcist - 12th
14. Mad Max - 70th
15. Then Texas Chainsaw Massacre - 25th
16. The Wicker Man - 79th
17. Logan’s Run - 100th
21. Rocky - 11th
24. Dawn Of The Dead - 35th
25. Assault On Precinct 13 - 80th

A little surprise for me ! I though Alien gonna be #4 but It's a fantastic movie and an incredible accomplishement of sci-fi for a 1979 movie !! Brilliant.

Next is Star Wars I'm sure

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Anyone think Chinatown is overrated? I caught some of it recently on TV and while it's very well done some parts seem to drag a bit and the whole "OMG, that's her daughter and sister?" seemed overly manipulative. Not saying it is overrated but I wonder if any here think it is.
Overly manipulative?

What does that even mean in this context?
Just that it seemed a cheap way to intensify things, enhance the intrigue.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Holden already announced what the remaining movies are. We just don't yet know the order they'll appear.

The top five movies are (in alphabetical order):

Alien
The Godfather
Jaws
Star Wars
Taxi Driver
cool, THANKS!
looks like i blocked out the correct two then, yay

one of which, at 17, was Alien

Fully agree with so many of the raves about this movie; and yes, Sigourney was sexy then, in Galaxy Quest, the following sequels, and remains so--

Got to see this at a 9:00 pm showing at the theater because that was the only time left available and the theater was crowded with people waiting for the prior showing to finish.
I was about 13 and was already getting scared listening to all the screaming going on, within, and just as the movie should have been ending, MORE SCREAMING. So I was already primed to be terrified when we sat down and waited for the lights to go down.
Near the end as Ripley is getting undressed and climbing into her lil slumber chamber there was a woman behind us, gasping, muttering, "Thank God that's over,"
I must of looked like some evil demon child peeking over the back of chair, all wide eyed with terror, whimpering, "It's not over. There's more screaming." Because her eyes bugged out and her husband(guessing) let out a nervous chuckle as i turned back around and she let out a worried "Oh, no."
And moments later, the whole theater erupted in more screaming as the alien came out of hiding.

Just that it seemed a cheap way to intensify things, enhance the intrigue.

It's obvious that you've only seen half (or even less) of the film, if you actually think it's just some cheap, small detail in the film that's merely thrown in to enhance the intrigue.

Both dramatically and contextually, it's one of the most hard earned plot twists in cinema history.

Maybe you should actually watch the film as a whole before you make statements like that.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name

It's obvious that you've only seen half (or even less) of the film, if you actually think it's just some cheap, small detail in the film that's merely thrown in to enhance the intrigue.
I never said it was a small detail.

Look at this guy thinking he can just come in here and start ripping on Chinatown...

I like seeing Alien there, it means the odds are increased that Taxi Driver is first place.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Alien was my number #14. The first time I saw the trilogy I felt it was a little bit too far on the horror side of sci-fi for my tastes, but on repeat viewings I could appreciate it more. A really good film.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The original film that launched a bonafide empire of sequels, prequels, and a galaxy of merchandise that is nearly as vast as the love it spawned, the at-the-time confusingly titled Episode IV is our collective fourth place choice, and crests over the thousand-point threshold, sixty-three points ahead of the darker Alien. George Lucas also charted with American Graffiti (42), but as beloved as that movie is, the nostalgia for hot rods and milkshakes is nothing compared the nostalgia for lightsabers and droids that was manufactured on the spot in 1977, and is renewed by every subsequent generation. Spielberg’s Jaws may have created the modern blockbuster in many respects, but Star Wars was timeless adventure fare and a new mythology for our times that appealed not just to children, but to adults, too.

Star Wars had thirty-nine top ten votes, four first placers, from fifty-eight total ballots.

The Empire Strikes Back finished fifth and Return of the Jedi eighteenth on our Top 100 of the 1980s countdown.

Film number three, tomorrow. The top two on Sunday.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	4 chart.png
Views:	741
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	16991  

Ah Star Wars. Between this series and Indiana Jones, George Lucas and Spielberg were essential in making me the movie nut I am today. I have seen these movies more times then I could count. Some summer days were spent watching the original trilogy on VHS all in one day. And while I prefer Indiana Jones, Star Wars will always be very special to me. It was number 14 on my list.

Seen 80/97

My list: 18

1. ?
2. Apocalypse Now (9)
3. Stalker (20)
4. Blazing Saddles (33)
5. Eraserhead (26)
6. Pink Flamingos (1972)
7. Dirty Harry (34)
8. Dawn of the Dead (35)
9. Coffy (1973)
10. ?
11. Mean Streets (77)
12. Superman (23)
13. Rocky Horror Picture Show (46)
14. Star Wars (4)
15. Mad Max (70)
16. Foxy Brown (1974)
17. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (13)
18. Death Wish (1974)
19. The Exorcist (12)
20. ?
21. Young Frankenstein (15)
22. A Clockwork Orange (7)
23. Alien (5)
24. All the President’s Men (75)
25. Network (32)

Deadite had Star Wars at the very bottom of his list, giving him eighteen…

1. Marathon Man (#73)
2. Alien (#5)
3. Dawn of the Dead (#35)
5. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (#25)
7. Harold & Maude (#27)
8. The Deer Hunter (#38)
9. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (#68)
11. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (#14)
12. Walkabout (#67)
13. The Conversation (#18)
15. Carrie (#36)
18. Straw Dogs (#83)
19. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (#8)
20. Annie Hall (#30)
21. McCabe & Mrs. Miller (#22)
22. Apocalypse Now (#9)
24. The Godfather Part II (#10)
25. Star Wars (#4)

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Deadite Star.jpg
Views:	801
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	16990  

My prediction for the top 7: