The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Anyone think Chinatown is overrated? I caught some of it recently on TV and while it's very well done some parts seem to drag a bit and the whole "OMG, that's her daughter and sister?" seemed overly manipulative. Not saying it is overrated but I wonder if any here think it is.

Nope.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Anyone think Chinatown is overrated? I caught some of it recently on TV and while it's very well done some parts seem to drag a bit and the whole "OMG, that's her daughter and sister?" seemed overly manipulative.
Overly manipulative?

What does that even mean in this context?

Anyone think Chinatown is overrated? I caught some of it recently on TV and while it's very well done some parts seem to drag a bit and the whole "OMG, that's her daughter and sister?" seemed overly manipulative. Not saying it is overrated but I wonder if any here think it is.
overly manipulative ?? I don't very understand this reasoning...

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Since there is only two films of mine left that will be in the final slots, I'll post my list now.
I actually steered away from the more famous movies of the era and simply went with personal favorites I've always enjoyed watchin over and over; which, understandably, is why so few actually made a rather excellent list of movies
I've bolded the ones that did make the list.

1. Will make the #1 spot
2. The Three Musketeers
3. Walt Disney's Robin Hood
4. Harold & Maude
5. M*A*S*H
6. The Great Train Robbery
7. The Four Musketeers
8. The Sting
9. Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory
10. Blazing Saddles (Can't remember if this made it or not)
11. Young Frankenstein
12. Johnny Got His Gun
13. High Plains Drifter
14. Jesus Christ Superstar
15. What's Up Doc?
16. The Cowboys
17. Patton
18. Slap Shot
19. Smokey & The Bandit
20. Force 10 From Navarone
21. pretty likely to be in the final countdown
22. The Getaway
23. Three Days of The Condor
24. Animal House
25. Robin and Marian i point list WOO HOO!

If any of these showing DO show up, my most sincere apologies to all for a shameful faux pas and as Stan from Family Guy says: "I guess I just picked a whole bouquet of Oopsy Daisies."
I frickin LOVE that line

*diving in*

most charming word in the English language

i'll consider my life happy if i never use the phrase again

So everyone has been underrating Alien's spot in the top ten, anyone think it could be top three?

If any of these showing DO show up, my most sincere apologies to all for a shameful faux pas
Holden already announced what the remaining movies are. We just don't yet know the order they'll appear.

The top five movies are (in alphabetical order):

Alien
The Godfather
Jaws
Star Wars
Taxi Driver

The top 5 will end in 'reverse alphabetical order' as predicted by Einstein's unpublished Alignment of Chaos Theory.

1 Star Wars
2 The Godfather
3 Taxi Driver
4 Jaws
5 Alien

So everyone has been underrating Alien's spot in the top ten, anyone think it could be top three?
Alien was #5 in my top 25 but I feel he gonna show at #4 ...

Alien was #5 in my top 25 but I feel he gonna show at #4 ...
Honestly, I was happy just to see it make the top ten. Top 5? Over the moon.

I'm sure it greatly contributed to it. If there was only one movie, and nothing else, it would be beloved, but I doubt there would be all these conventions and everything else going on. It's only going to grow and grow and grow and grow with age. Star Wars will be beloved 1,000 years from now. Three more movies are coming out. It's God. It is the new Bible. When we start venturing off into outer space, Star Wars will be referenced. It is our future.
Indeed from an objective standpoint of general cultural impact Star Wars is without a doubt the greatest film ever made. Other superpopular movies made earlier such as Gone with the Wind, which sold in fact 15% more tickets than Star Wars, were extremely popular among American audiences at the time but Star Wars and it's sequels were made in a globalized world and it's popularity across the globe is much greater than Gone with the Wind.

I personally did not enjoy Chinatown. I though it was boring and uninteresting though I did not find it manipulative, just plain boring. I understand it is a masterpiece of the noir thriller genre but I don't like the genre so there is nothing I can do about it. Maybe I will re-watch it in another time.

Honestly, I was happy just to see it make the top ten. Top 5? Over the moon.
Alien is the Terminator of the 1970's countdown! And similar in many ways being two masterpieces of the horror/thriller of the golden age of Hollywood science fiction cinema.

I was hoping Rocky would be the Terminator of the '70s countdown. The '80s would have had Schwarzenegger, the '70s would have had Stallone. But... no..........

30. Annie Hall -

29. Days of Heaven -

28. Dog Day Afternoon -

27. Harold & Maude -

26. Eraserhead -
(my list)
25. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre -
+ (my list)
24. Enter the Dragon -
(my list)
23. Superman: The Movie -

22. McCabe & Mrs. Miller - Not watched.
21. Aguirre, the Wrath of God -
+ (my list)
20. Stalker -
++ (my list, perhaps the best live action film ever made)
19. The Long Goodbye - Not watched
18. The Conversation - Not watched
17. Halloween - Not watched
16. Barry Lyndon -
+ (my list)
15. Young Frankenstein - Not watched
14. Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Not watched.
13. Monty Python & the Holy Grail -
+ (my list)
12. The Exorcist - Not watched.
11. Rocky -
(my list)
10. The Godfather Part II -
+ (my list)
9. Apocalypse Now -
++ (my list, one of the best movies ever made without shadow of a doubt)
8. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest -

7. A Clockwork Orange -
+ (my list)
6. Chinatown -
(the movie on the top 30 that I liked the least , don't take it personal guys )

Interestingly, the best foreign language movies of each decade according to Movie Forums:

1970's: Tarkovsky's Stalker (1979)
1980's: Kurosawa's Ran (1985)
1990's: Miyazaki's Princess Mononoke (1997)
2000's: Del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth (2006) (easily the weakest of the 4 so far)