Wooley's Halfway To Halloween III

Tools    

Victim of The Night
The Strangeness is pretty OK. It's one of those films I vaguely remembered from my childhood and eventually managed to rewatch as an adult. Especially considering the budget and small-scale production, it actually looks fine. Also, added The Boogens to my watchlist; I don't think I've ever seen that one.
It's like if The Strangeness had enough of a budget to get a theatrical release.

Victim of The Night
The monster also looks like a dick in profile. It was originally supposed to have a shell as well, I assume you make it look like a snail, but I assume the result would have been scrotal in appearance.
This is a good point, it is kinda like a dick with a vagina head.
Which is interesting since the director's name was David when he shot it but Michelle when she reflected back on it in later interviews.

Victim of The Night
He's great in everything but especially when he works with DePalma or Gunn.

Thems fighting words!
Ah! Thank you for that. There were two movies I watched not that long ago and couldn't remember what they were and The Prey was one of them.

I would swear I wrote it up in some thread, but I discovered recently that if I don't put the title of the movie in the write-up somewhere (I usually just use the poster), I can't Search for it later. (Hence the "Just Before Dawn" appearing at the bottom of my write-up on page one).

Victim of The Night
You either accept The Strangeness for the small pleasures it offers, or it bores you to tears. I've had both reactions to it before.
Exactly. This is where my head is mostly at these days.

Which is why the evisceration I'm about to unleash on a movie here should be taken especially to heart.

Ah! Thank you for that. There were two movies I watched not that long ago and couldn't remember what they were and The Prey was one of them.

I would swear I wrote it up in some thread, but I discovered recently that if I don't put the title of the movie in the write-up somewhere (I usually just use the poster), I can't Search for it later. (Hence the "Just Before Dawn" appearing at the bottom of my write-up on page one).
What was your general reaction to it?

I'd say:

Just Before Dawn
The Prey
Final Terroe

If I were so inclined to rank them, that is. Which I am! Because I did.

I'd say:

Just Before Dawn
The Prey
Final Terroe

But where would Beserker rank?

Just kidding. No one needs to see this.

But where would Beserker rank?

Just kidding. No one needs to see this.
But that premise!

"Six people renting a cabin in the woods of Utah run afoul of a legendary viking warrior who dons the claws and mouth of a bear, with no help in sight."

How can this not be worth watching and top of the line?

But that premise!

"Six people renting a cabin in the woods of Utah run afoul of a legendary viking warrior who dons the claws and mouth of a bear, with no help in sight."

How can this not be worth watching and top of the line?

Oh I like it. But I can't help but think its appeal is super limited. From what I remember it takes awhile to get going

Victim of The Night

I'd say:

Just Before Dawn
The Prey
Final Terroe

Final Terror
Just Before Dawn
The Prey

I wish I could find my write-up of it. I don't remember how I felt about the movie overall, only that I'm sure I felt JBD was better, but I do remember being seriously icked-out by the ending.

Oh I like it. But I can't help but think its appeal is super limited. From what I remember it takes awhile to get going
It appears it was once on Tubi but no more. I'd totally have watched it today as a pregame for tomorrow's viewing of the Northman were it still available. *

Final Terror
Just Before Dawn
The Prey

I wish I could find my write-up of it. I don't remember how I felt about the movie overall, only that I'm sure I felt JBD was better, but I do remember being seriously icked-out by the ending.
The Prey has the least memorable villain of the bunch but I thought it was easily the best shot. The nature photography was documentary worthy at times and I loved how they used the wildlife predation to create parallels with the stalking and killing of it's characters.*

Plus, it has a rock climbing go wrong scene that makes Just Before Dawn's rope bridge look quaint.

Then again, neither of them have the soup can lid death traps of Final Terror...

Victim of The Night
It appears it was once on Tubi but no more. I'd totally have watched it today as a pregame for tomorrow's viewing of the Northman were it still available. *

The Prey has the least memorable villain of the bunch but I thought it was easily the best shot. The nature photography was documentary worthy at times and I loved how they used the wildlife predation to create parallels with the stalking and killing of it's characters.*

Plus, it has a rock climbing go wrong scene that makes Just Before Dawn's rope bridge look quaint.

Then again, neither of them have the soup can lid death traps of Final Terror...
So I just found my review and I'm sorry to tell you it was not kind.
Apparently I agreed with you about the cinematography, though, because I said that it would make a really lovely Nature Film if they just excised the 15 minutes of "action" out of the 119 minutes of "movie".

So I just found my review and I'm sorry to tell you it was not kind.
Apparently I agreed with you about the cinematography, though, because I said that it would make a really lovely Nature Film if they just excised the 15 minutes of "action" out of the 119 minutes of "movie".
Huh? Did you watch the much maligned international cut or something? The Prey is, albeit similar in slow pace to the others, a brisk 80 mins.

This is a good point, it is kinda like a dick with a vagina head.
Which is interesting since the director's name was David when he shot it but Michelle when she reflected back on it in later interviews.

When Stephen Thrower interviewed the guy who designed the monster in Nightmare USA, he claims it was totally unintentional and chalks it up to being closeted at the time.

Well... What is "good" and where would Just Before Dawn and Final Terror fall?

I would say Just Before Dawn is good and Final Terror is okay.

Victim of The Night
Huh? Did you watch the much maligned international cut or something? The Prey is, albeit similar in slow pace to the others, a brisk 80 mins.
Sorry, I meant to type 1h 19m.

Victim of The Night
When Stephen Thrower interviewed the guy who designed the monster in Nightmare USA, he claims it was totally unintentional and chalks it up to being closeted at the time.
No shit? I see a theme developing here. Maybe I should watch A Nightmare On Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge.

Victim of The Night
Yeah, MKS and I have this ongoing thing about Final Terror. I, and someone else on one of the forums, thought it was really good, like way better than it should have been and a hidden gem of the genre.
From that perspective I gotta tell ya I didn't think JBD was in the same league as FT.
I thought The Final Terror was a legitimately good Horror movie.
I thought Just Before Dawn was quaint.

Well I thought Just Before Dawn was good. the Prey was okay (but interesting) and Final Terror was bad (but a little bit interesting). But mostly surprisingly bad after hearing about what a gem it was from a certain someone that shall not dare be named.

Well I thought Just Before Dawn was good. the Prey was okay (but interesting) and Final Terror was bad (but a little bit interesting). But mostly surprisingly bad after hearing about what a gem it was from a certain someone that shall not dare be named.
This person... does their name rhyme with Pulley?