Sexy Cineplexy: Reviews

→ in
Tools    

You got me interested. But it better not be some junk filled ridiculousness like Halloween or Nightmare on Elm Street. It better be good!

Welcome to the human race...
I can confirm that it's not like Halloween or NOES. It's more of a psychological thriller/murder mystery than a straight-up slasher, which definitely gives it an edge.

Dang, it was pretty good. I give it

When I read up on Slender Man and found out there was a movie, it was such a crap movie I stopped watching after like 20 minutes. Candyman was pretty much everything I wanted from that whole realm of urban folklore and the boogieman.

I liked the 90's vibes too, and loved the lead. Some of the acting was pretty meh, and the camera work left much to be desired. But the story was superb, and I loved the villainous voice-over and surreal supernatural elements. And the blood... the beautiful blood... What is blood if not to be shed?

CONTACT

Directed by Robert Zemeckis
Released in 1997
Starring Jodie Foster as Dr. Eleanor Arroway, Matthew McConaughey as Palmer Joss, William Fichtner as Kent, Tom Skerritt as David Drumlin, David Morse as Ted Arroway, Angela Bassett as Rachel Constantine, John Hurt as S.R. Hadden, James Woods as Michael Kitz, Jena Malone as Young Ellie and Geoffrey Blake as Fisher

I hear there's going to be a Top 100 Sci-Fi Movies Countdown next year, so here's a movie I'd like you all to take into consideration.

The film is Contact and it's an old Jodie Foster and early Matthew McConaughey vehicle from the 1990's that is based on a book by the wildly popular astrophysicist/astronomer guy, Carl Sagan. A work of science fiction that he did. It is a movie that I have seen many times, the first time being at the movies in 1997 when it was released theatrically. Every time I watch it, I think it's terrific.

Well, of course it is. Robert Zemeckis of Back to the Future and Forrest Gump fame directed it. Oh, and Who Framed Roger Rabbit. And Cast Away, with Tom Hanks and the beach ball.

This is the story of Ellie Arroway, a brilliant astronomer who isn't taken seriously because she makes a living trying to listen to aliens in outer space through enormous satellite dishes. "E.T., phone home!" she cries out to the heavens, only to be brazenly ignored. She also seems to drink way too much beer, in my opinion, I noted. You don't always need a beer with your lunch, miss.

Her backstory is that she grew up in a house with a nerdy, but hunky father who introduced her to the cosmos and made her play around with a CB radio thing. Father suffered from some kind of medical condition, and because she didn't run ("Run, Ellie, Run!") and get the medicine in time after she hears him take a fall, he drops dead on her, and she was only 9 years old. Her mother had died years earlier (she never knew her), so she was basically an orphan.

Skip ahead back to the future. She meets Matthew McConaughey, who is a religious guy, a "man of the cloth without the cloth" mainly because he likes sex and couldn't join the priesthood, something like that. Jodie Foster, in a non-lesbian moment, has sex with him. He leaves her his phone number and, back to lesbianism, she doesn't call him -- and in fact, she moves away. She gets the Hell out of dodge. Mainly because her funding for searching for aliens gets taken away, so she has to go in search of new funding.

She finds it thanks to some creepy, glasses wearing John Hurt character named Mr. Hadden, a brilliant billionaire (millionaire?) eccentric who sort of becomes a pseudo father figure to Ellie. He believes in her and her mission to discover outer space aliens. Now what does all this sound like to you? It's The Silence of the Lambs, yet again. Hadden appears in only a few brief scenes, acts creepy, and helps Jodie Foster get what she wants out of life. He's the Hannibal Lecter of Contact. And we've already seen her as a little girl with no mother and a dying father. Miss Foster, I am seeing a pattern here with how you choose your screenplays to star in. Dead father, creepy paternal father figure substitute, avoids male characters that want to have sex with her = send this over to Jodie Foster, the producers say. An automatic "yes!"

But back to the movie -- so, she gets funding again. And this time... doot-doot-doot-doot-doot! That's right. The aliens call her and the message doesn't even go straight to the answering machine. She picks up... and suddenly, they're sending down blueprints to build a machine that will take Jodie Foster to deep space to visit them. Not only has she found aliens - she has found the Oprah Winfrey of aliens. They basically give her a car! She has to build it herself, but still, it's a car!

And then the next question is... what will Jodie Foster find once she gets to outer space? Will she even be the one to go, as Tom Skerritt is actually competing against her to get that free ride to light years away. Again with the man troubles. Matthew McConaughey enters the picture again... and so does another man from Ellie's past.

Contact. It's a brilliant movie. My review is a joke, but it's a great film. It's a story about the power of faith and the quest for truth. Don't miss it in your precious, valuable lifetime. Your only chance to see it, maybe.

I have not seen this since my VCR expired, but I do recollect it as one of the few films on the ET contact theme that actually had a little intelligence behind it. Having it based on a book by Carl Sagan meant that it was somewhat pedestrian as a film script, but that it also had a reasonably high level of believability and fortunately no monsters stomping on cities. I need to check back to see if I can stream this somewhere.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
I haven't seen Candyman in years, but i do remember enjoyng it.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

You can't win an argument just by being right!
i can't read any of that. Do you have typing tourette's syndrome? What with the font. Makes my eyes bleed.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
How the hell have you posted over 1000 times in 14 days .
I live here...and i talk a lot. I moved into Master Yoda's computer and I'm squirreling away on my tiny bicycle like you would not believe.

FRIDAY THE 13TH:
THE FINAL CHAPTER

Quit dickin around and surface, Sexy. I can't PM you so..don't force me to divulge my plea publicly. Humor me. If you split then it's going to suck for me and I just got here so....wts?

"What the S.H.I.T?"

THE WAY
(directed by Emilio Estevez, 2010)

This was a worthwhile movie. I had seen "Bobby" by Estevez about a decade prior and thought it had a lot of potential. Interesting how he's essentially fleeted Hollywood and a lot of reminisce events to concentrate on his less than prolific film making. He's definitely apologized for "Wisdom", which needs a re-watch I have to admit, to fully grasp what that was all about as far as beign a good movie or a very bad one.

Ghost World
(directed by Terry Zwigoff, 2001)

One of my favorite movies of all time. I saw this at Cinema City back in 2001 with a buddy. I remember this as one of the strongest theater experiences, right up there with "Sideways".

The Money Pit
(directed by Richard Benjamin, 1986)

Final word: Don't fall into The Money Pit. Yawnfestation.

I'm sorry, I totally disagree. After reading your reviews on Mannequin and Who's that Girl, I would just assume that The Money Pit would have a fair shake. I was surprised you disliked this one so much. I found the opening and ending theme to be so grating and catchy that it actually damaged me but other than that I really enjoyed this movie. I thought it was funny and entertaining throughout. Yeah, it's dumb as dirt and not very well written, and it was directed by a once respected Richard Benjamin, but I certainly could never say it was a yawnfest. I wonder if maybe nostalgia plays a part. I had seen this movie way, way back.

REPO MAN
(directed by Alex Cox, 1984)

I liked the film a lot more than you did but you did a good review that I also agree with. The scene where everyone is chasing them and they are running down the parking garage concrete stairwell and there's a sign on the wall in a passing shot that reads "no loud talking in the stairwell", as they are all screaming like banshees, and then a voice comes over the intercom in a calm woman's voice saying "Please,no loud talking in the stairwell", (and her voice was bellowing in volume compared to theirs).

It was things like that all over the movie that made me like it so much. It was an absurd movie.

I liked the film a lot more than you did but you did a good review that I also agree with. The scene where everyone is chasing them and they are running .
I don't think Emilio has ever looked better...damn!