A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Frankenhooker is on VuduFree and Tubi and Peacock.
Not on Canadian Tubi, I'm afraid.

*redirects rage at Captain Terror*

It's a $2 rental on Amazon.

Got any money?!
This is economic violence Tak. You know the exchange rate does not work in Canada's favour.

This is economic violence Tak. You know the exchange rate does not work in Canada's favour.
If you sell the I Spit on Your Grave box set on ebay, you could rent Frankenhooker many times over with the proceeds.

If you sell the I Spit on Your Grave box set on ebay, you could rent Frankenhooker many times over with the proceeds.
It's a monument to my bad decision making. You can't put a price on that.

It has sentimental value, is what I'm saying.

Hung out with this guy again today and we bonded over Yeti: Giant of the 20th Century and Mighty Peking Man. Good times.

I remember Bruce Campbell, in If Chins Could Kill, once listed all the reasons why a person might show up in a movie, even if it might not appear to that great of a movie. One of them was (paraphrasing), "sometimes you just have to show up to set for a few days for a small scene and then you basically get a paid vacation at some remote part of the world you wanted to visit."

I always think of that when I think of The Mighty Peking Man. Except maybe, they also just put part of their paid vacation on film.

Can something be hilariously boring?

Well, this is.

Isn't "hilariously boring" the definition of editing in Manos? I need to find the name of the rock 'n roll slasher movie I saw some odd years back where it was a two minutes of dead air/silence, followed by weird, inhuman choice of words in a dialogue exchange that lasted only a few sentences. Repeat for the duration of the movie. I was not able to find it in my diary when I looked though.

Can something be hilariously boring?

Well, this is.
I was entertained. Though less so than by Edge of the Axe.

The last 15 minutes were fun.

That first hour though. Oof.
I recall the whole thing having an off-kilter tone and sensibility that kept me oddly engaged throughout. Been too long to articulate why. I also love how stupid looking the slasher is.

I recall the whole thing having an off-kilter tone and sensibility that kept me oddly engaged throughout. Been too long to articulate why. I also love how stupid looking the slasher is.

Normally, this sounds like something I would say.

This is a rare instance where I found all of the banter leading up to be shockingly uneventful. I guess it is off kilter, which is probably why I described it as 'hilariously boring' because the dialogue and the acting is so off the hook awful, and meandering, it almost becomes trance inducing.

The last stretch though makes the whole thing worth it. And as a whole, it ends up sort of working for me, that dull prelude leading to a Valhalla of stupidity. And that last comment that women in the mask hurls at the final girl had me howling for about five minutes.

WARNING: "Deadly Manor final moment" spoilers below
I final jump scare where the disfigured villain, still in her mask, jumps into frame to scream "I'll kill you, you bitch", before being led away in handcuffs by the cops. Beautiful.

Normally, this sounds like something I would say.

This is a rare instance where I found all of the banter leading up to be shockingly uneventful. I guess it is off kilter, which is probably why I described it as 'hilariously boring' because the dialogue and the acting is so off the hook awful, and meandering, it almost becomes trance inducing.

The last stretch though makes the whole thing worth it. And as a whole, it ends up sort of working for me, that dull prelude leading to a Valhalla of stupidity. And that last comment that women in the mask hurls at the final girl had me howling for about five minutes.

WARNING: "Deadly Manor final moment" spoilers below
I final jump scare where the disfigured villain, still in her mask, jumps into frame to scream "I'll kill you, you bitch", before being led away in handcuffs by the cops. Beautiful.
We both gave it 3 stars on letterboxd. Seems like we’re mostly on the same page.

It was a firm two until the last twenty minutes or so.

Whatever a firm two means.
Have you seen Edge of the Axe? I gave that a whopping 3.5/5.

Yes. I liked that one a lot.

I have no idea what I gave it. Not like that matters a pebble of shit.
You also gave it a 3.5. We’re just a couple of Larraz Lads up in here!