DrSoup007's Complete Ranking of All Viewed Films Released in 2015

→ in
Tools    

54. Jupiter Ascending directed by Lana and Andy Wachowski -
I've never walked out of a movie, and I don't plan on ever doing it. But the closest I've come was halfway through Jupiter Ascending. I didn't though, and I made a pact to myself then and there that I would never walk out of a movie. It was my right, no, my responsibility to let people know not to see this movie. The plot was completely incomprehensible, something about bees and princesses. I wasted my time, but it was for the greater good. Folks, whatever you do in life, make sure it has nothing to do with this irredeemable piece of garbage.
53. Terminator: Genisys directed by Alan Taylor -
There comes a point when beating a dead horse isn't even a solid enough analogy anymore. The fact that they're still making these movies upsets me greatly. Hollywood? Have you no respect? Jai Courtney's acting is more wooden than a tree, Emilia Clarke is completely void of emotion, and god forbid that somehow Arnold Schwarzenegger is the best actor in your movie. It's disgusting
52. Fantastic Four (Fant4stic) directed by Josh Trank -
When I saw Fantastic Four for the first time I had heard everything scathing about it. I had hopes for it, and they were crushed almost immediately. But when I sat down in the theater about half way through I started to question the masses, I didn't hate the first half. It wasn't great, but it wasn't awful. Then everything else happened, see, what the higher ups did at Fox was, they took the script, and cut it into two parts. The first part they left relatively untouched, but the other half, they ran through a paper shredder, smeared it in feces and crap, and then put it back together with masking tape, handed it back to Josh (who was higher than a kite mind you) and said, "Here, have fun with this".
51. Max directed by Boaz Yakin -
Just go watch My Dog Skip.
50. Always Watching: A Marble Hornets Story directed by James Moran -
This is just glorified crappy fan service for those who like the original series. And it's very poorly done.
49. Parallels directed by Christopher Leone -
A rejected TV pilot that should've stayed dead. I'd be willing to bet 5 bucks you haven't even heard of this.
48. Project Almanac directed by Dean Israelite -
Mediocre found footage time travel story that's an utter waste of time. I doubt I'd recommend this to anyone let alone watch it again.
47. My All American directed by Angelo Pizzo -
I nominate the chick who did the interviewing at the beginning of the film for a Razzie, Worst Actress in a Motion Picture 2015. My All American is just below average as it offers mediocre acting, predictable story, and characters you honestly could care less about.
46. Macbeth directed by Justin Kurzel -
I always tread carefully on this film because this takes the #1 spot as the Most Disappointing Movie of 2015. Why? The characters were so distant and incomprehensible, and that only got more annoying paired with Shakespeare's wordy dialogue. It was just all around unenjoyable
45. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2 directed by Francis Lawrence -
Finally it's over and while it could've certainly been better, I'm not left mad or anything. It's arguably better than the book.
44. Tomorrowland directed by Brad Bird -
This movie hasn't grown on me. I was kinda a fan when it first came out, I should probably see it again, but looking back it's not that great. Poor pacing, mediocre acting, and a cool story that ultimately fails to deliver.
43. Point Break directed by Ericson Core -
I'll be one of the few people to say this movie actually had potential. It had an interesting concept, some good ideas, and a solid cast. But it completely failed as the story took a back seat to everything that looked, "cool". And trust me it did look "cool". That just wasn't distracting enough from the crappy story telling.
42. Star Wars: The Force Awakens directed by J. J. Abrams -
Oh hey Star Wars, what're you doing down here? Oh that's right, I didn't like you. WELL HERE IT IS! Star Wars is the most obnoxiously self referential, unoriginal, and over rated movie of 2015. It looked cool though, and I liked BB-8, no sorry, correction, I loved BB-8.
41. Woodlawn directed by Andrew and Jon Erwin -
By the books in every way, offering nothing of notable difference due to a forced religious nature that bogs down it's potential to be something more than Christian propaganda
40. Jurassic World directed by Colin Trevorrow -
How average. Nothing bad, nothing great. It takes a lot to live up to the hype of the original Jurassic Park, and I was often afraid that this movie would get hated because there is simply no way it could recapture that magic, but I think this movie gets the flack is deserves, cause it just kinda meh.
39. Furious 7 directed by James Wan -
That was hella fun, but the necessities took a back seat to cool action. The story was really average, and the writing was cheesy, but it had it's moments and I liked it in the end. Oh, but when Ronda Rousey showed up I almost vomited, that was unforgivable.
38. San Andreas directed by Brad Peyton -
I'm a sucker for disaster movie, 2012 being a favorite. It has a good story and reason for the destruction, but my lack of compassion for the characters ruin any and all tension that comes with their survival.
37. The Gallows directed by Travis Cluff and Chris Lofing -
This wasn't actually the worst movie of the year, much to my surprise. It's nothing really special though. Just your average found footage horror jump scare fest.
36. Paper Towns directed by Jake Schreier -
John Green has gotten a little too much for me. He's written some good books but I can get over saturated and The Fault in Our Stars is beyond over rated in pop culture. So it's refreshing to see a moderately well done movie based on one of his novels. It has a good soundtrack and compelling cinematography, and while the actors do an abysmal job with the characters, it has a good heart and message that the book certainly lacked.
35. The Stanford Prison Experiment directed by Kyle Patrick Alvarez -
A little disappointing, but not a bad movie. The acting was very good and pacing solid as well, but it sorely lacks the compelling nature that the subject and genre brings with it.
34. Slow West directed by John Maclean -
Very slow and very western, it has an entertaining story and some interesting ideas, but the pacing drives it into the ground. Solid acting performances are it's biggest help, doubtful recommendation but a recommendation none the less.
33. Spectre directed by Sam Mendes -
Lucky for Spectre it has Quantum of Solace to cushion the blow as this movie is undoubtedly the second worst recent Bond film. It has good action, Christoph Waltz, and a few good locations in it's favor. But it's filled to the brim with problems, like a forced romance and uninteresting story.
32. In The Heart of the Sea directed by Ron Howard -
Moby Dick: The Movie is pretty good. Not great, but it has enough character and visual interest to garner my attention for a few hours.
31. Bridge of Spies directed by Steven Spielberg -
In personal opinion, an average Spielberg movie, starring Tom Hanks. Nothing new here I guess.
30. Uncle John directed by Steven Piet -
Well paced, great ideas, but lack of cohesion makes these two vastly different stories never connect in the way they should.
29. Crimson Peak directed by Guillermo Del Toro -
Guillermo Del Toro disappoints, but doesn't fail. It's an underwhelming but solid horror/romance mashup that I was certainly entertained by, if not a little saddend.
28. The Walk directed by Robert Zemeckis -
Ow my vertigo. This movie looked really nice, and while it missed some needed narrative direction, it's still an entertaining and solid visual spectacle.
27. World of Tomorrow directed by Don Hertzfeldt -
I've never been a fan of Don Hertzfeltd, but this had me entertained in it's small dose of whimsical and artful storytelling.
26. Shaun the Sheep Movie directed by Mark Burton and Richard Starzack -
Lives up to the hype, well timed visual comedy and good wholesome family fun.
25. Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation directed by Christopher McQuarrie -
Great sets, great action, great...Tom Cruise? Mission: Impossible once again proves that the action spy genre is anything but dead.
24. McFarland, USA directed by Niki Caro -
You know how you make a bunch of cookies, using the same mold, and eventually you get tired of the look and taste of said cookie cause it's all to similar. McFarland, USA is like, they changed the batter, so it looks the same, but it tastes slightly different, in a good way.
23. Chappie directed by Neill Blomkamp -
As one of the few people who likes this movie I say, "There are dozens of us! Literally dozens!". Chappie is one of the most heartbreaking and action packed movie of 2015, that got shafted by literally everyone else.
22. Kingsman: The Secret Service directed by Matthew Vaughn -
While I am a little disappointed (after a year of built up excitement), it's certainly not a bad movie. It has some rocky moments, a few missed jokes and bad CGI, the concept and characters are begging to be explored and I'm happily awaiting it's sequel.
21. Avengers: Age of Ultron directed by Joss Whedon -
This got old, and while not a bad by any stretch of the imagination, it loses spectacle. I feel bad for Joss because the hate towards him is undeserved, he did his best and it's certainly one of Marvel's better movies.
20. The Martian directed by Ridley Scott -
A mixture of prior excitement, it's endless rewatchability, and clever story makes The Martian a solid movie that somehow got a Best Picture nomination. I'm still trying to figure that out.
19. Joy directed by David O. Russel -
Against the flow I stand, Joy is a solid character arc, filled with good jokes, heart, and entertaining story. And it's one of the first J-Law performances that I've enjoyed in a long while.
18. Love & Mercy directed by Bill Pohlad -
I think I'm genetically predisposed to like this movie, having grown up listening to the Beach Boys. Still it's a beautifully acted and compelling drama that has it's moments of brilliance.
17. No Escape directed by John Erick Dowdle -
I sat on the edge of my seat the entire time, absolutely captivated by how terrifying and great this movie was. It's not perfect, and it's a little convenient in the end, but there's seldom a moment to catch your breath and it does a fantastic job of holding your attention.
16. Ant-Man directed by Peyton Reed -
They pulled it off, they made Ant-Man a fun, action filled, well told movie. Surprisingly not crap.
15. The Gift directed by Joel Edgerton -
Awkward, uncomfortable, and eerie in all the best ways. I'm very interested to see where Joel Edgerton's directing career goes from here on out, because he's certainly good at it.
14. Me and Earl and the Dying Girl directed by Alfonso Gomez-Rejon -
What The Fault in Our Stars should've been. Raw and unfiltered, but heartwarming and funny, helpfully driven by the thick dialogue, which in turn was excelled by the great acting.
13. Inside Out directed by Pete Docter -
They nailed the core concept of this film so well, and while I had initial skepticism it was ironed out into pure imagination and wonder. Welcome back Pixar, we missed you.
12. Creed directed by Ryan Coogler -
It's great to see the Rocky franchise back in action, and not only that but throwing some of it's best punches yet. The visual style was very well presented, the boxing scenes were all unique and fun to watch, and the story was absolutely great. I can't wait to see if this universe expands, and I'm very glad with where it's at right now.
11. Brooklyn directed by John Crowley -
Somehow Brooklyn took a genre I'm normally not a fan of and made it reachable and understandable to me. It was extremely well written, the acting was realistic and the highest praise goes to each actor and actress. It's impressively beautiful, tightly paced, and a great story that will certainly hold your attention.
10. The Hateful Eight directed by Quentin Tarantino -
This slides into its spot purely on masterful directing alone. Tarantino knows how to write character, and entertaining dialogue. He knows how to film characters, and beautiful set pieces. His actors know how to play characters, and give each and very word they say something that you're attentive too. Much like Tarantino and his style, The Hateful Eight is ridiculously violent, overflowing with language, and a miserable and bleak story to watch. And somehow he makes that the most compelling entertainment. Tarantino has a reputation, and this movie certainly lives up to it.
9. Black Mass directed by Scott Cooper -
I got into an argument with, someone when, at the time, I told them that I was more excited for Black Mass then I was for Star Wars: The Force Awakens. To this day, I stand by that statement, I was engrossed into this movie, even before I saw it. I'm glad I got to experience in the way that I did, with a crowd of people just as gap jawed as myself. Every moment, was just unnerving to watch. It wasn't perfect, it had it's issues, mainly due to pacing, but even then, the story was absolutely fascinating and perfectly told. Especially with the terrifying performance of Johnny Depp. I left this film happy, it neither exceeded nor failed my expectations. It was a great watch.
8. 99 Homes directed by Ramin Bahrani -
There was such a flip flop between Black Mass and this movie for the current spot. It settled on this one because it felt so much more raw than Black Mass ever did. This was heartbreaking in the fact that it could've been a true story. Everything about this felt as if it were real, mainly due to the great performances of Michael Shannon and Andrew Garfield. That, and the story structure and dialogue felt cohesive and natural. Much like the film Sicario, I felt dirty after this movie, in a different way. It loved every minute of it, and hated seeing it do so poorly at the box office. I might just be biased cause I have a signed poster though.
7. Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief directed by Alex Gibney -
This one stands out in the Top 10, probably as a movie you've never even heard of. Going Clear is the HBO produced documentary based around the story and existence of Scientology. I'd known very little of Scientology for the longest time and so using this as an introduction in the concept was not only the best way but also the most entertaining. Not to say this a praticularly fun movie, it's hard to wrap your head around the gravity of situation and horror of this money laundering scheme turned religion, but the director tells it in a way that leaves no stone unturned, revealing every known dark secret about it's creators and victims. You need to see this movie, if you know nothing about Scientology, if you some things about Scientology, and even if you know EVERYTHING about Scientology, this is still a movie that needs to be seen.
6. The Revenant directed by Alejandro González Iñárritu -
It takes a lot for a movie to make me legitimately concerned and uncomfortable, and The Revenant had that on lock, by pulling absolutely no punches. Iñárritu does another fantastic job of directing a linear narrative, nothing to difficult to wrap your head around, using characters and visuals to drive the story forward. It's long, and there comes a point when I wondered when will it end, but I got so wrapped up in the beauty of it all I didn't really want it to stop. Emmanuel Lubezki once again shines with his brilliant cinematic style, using long takes to help visualize the reality of it all, not rushing any scene longer than it should be. DiCaprio and Hardy are absolutely amazing in this movie and do a great job of playing character and suffering, in a realistic manner, so as not to distract the audience from anything but the subject at hand. It was beautifully composed, wonderfully shot, fantastically directed, and powerfully acted. It's a great and solid movie and Iñárritu once again proves he is nothing short of a brilliant director.
5. Spotlight directed by Tom McCarthy -
Never before has a film left me so ravished by it's subject matter and how brilliantly it was handled. This movie takes a lot of guts to make, and it's gonna get backlash, but it's a well deserved recommend. Spotlight tells the story of child molestation allegations in the Catholic Church, and if that doesn't make you turn your nose up I don't know what does. But don't avoid this movie, it's a story that must be heard sadly, as it was pushed under the rug by subsequent tragedies. Every character was individual, had depth, fantastically acted, and thoroughly entertaining to watch. There's no main character, but the ensemble still gives moments for each person to shine and be important. It's well edited, the pacing of the entire movie was the perfect sweet spot between being a slow build and thrilling speed. I can give Spotlight nothing but praise and it's certainly one of the most necessary dramas of recent time, sad to say that it isn't gonna do so well at the box office.
4. Steve Jobs directed by Danny Boyle -
Aaron Sorkin is one of my favorite writers, and I don't like to pick favorites. And then when I heard that he and Danny Boyle we're teaming up for a Steve Jobs biopic, I was sold. I'd seen Jobs (the other Steve Jobs movie), and rather liked it, but was left feeling as if something was missing. When they eventually announced that Michael Fassbender was playing Jobs, I felt like a kid in a candy shop. I was excited, and as the date crept closer and closer, I kept getting more pumped. And there I was, sitting in the Arbor theater, watching what was one of the greatest directorial feats I had ever seen in my life. Danny Boyle and Aaron Sorkin did something that I don't think can ever be redone, with the most bizarre yet entrancing three act structure. Boyle's close quarters style, and Sorkin's fast paced dialogue made this movie stunning and compelling to watch from minute one to minute end. It's a shame that the movie bombed like it did, I wish that it could get the recognition that it certainly deserves.
3. Room directed by Lenny Abrahamson -
WOW! After having seen Short Term 12, all I can say is we need Brie Larson in more things. My god she's entrancing, not only that but Jacob Tremblay did a fantastic job as well. The acting is perfect in every way, and the story is bleak and beautiful. The biggest discussion that the film left me and the people I viewed it with was, how well they told the story. For such a dark and difficult subject, the handled it through the innocent eyes of a child, and while not certainly shying away from anything, it brought a glimmering sense of hope through the pain. I can only praise it endlessly for how magnificent it was.
2. Sicario directed by Denis Villeneuve -
It's rare that a movie leaves me feeling gross. Not in a bad way, but in the way of, "wow, that just happened". It's has it's moments of pure brilliance, and amazing acting. And not only that but Roger Deakin's bring his beautifully visual cinematography, to just fill the space and leave you breathless. It's a hard watch, and I probably won't be seeing it again anytime soon, but it was an experience that I won't forget.
1. MAD MAX: FURY ROAD DIRECTED BY THE GOD HIMSELF GEORGE MILLER -
Honestly, this film couldn't have been better. It was all I had expected, and then some. I was hyped beyond belief, in fact if the film had been awful I probably would've cried. But thank god it's as amazing as it is, because in my humble opinion, this film is perfect in every manner. The unique characters, the simplistic yet compelling acting, and the fantastic cinematography that presents it's beauty through each and every meticulously crafted scene. I've watched this movie over, and over, and over again. It doesn't get old. I couldn't be happier. And thus, this will remain #1 on the list.

Welcome to the human race...
Comparing it against my own end-of-year rundown and finding quite the number of discrepancies (not counting the 2015 films I saw after making that post, of course).

I'm most surprised that you find The Force Awakens to be the "most obnoxious/self-referential" movie in a year that also gave us Terminator Genisys, Jurassic World, Creed, Spectre, Avengers: Age of Ultron, and Kingsman. Hell, I'm amused by the fact that Jurassic World in particular merits a
despite being "kinda meh" and "not great, not bad".

Sicario and Mad Max: Fury Road does nothing to me... both pretty standard and average flick but I love The Revenant, The Gift and The Martian so I give you rep

I'm most surprised that you find The Force Awakens to be the "most obnoxious/self-referential" movie in a year that also gave us Terminator Genisys, Jurassic World, Creed, Spectre, Avengers: Age of Ultron, and Kingsman. Hell, I'm amused by the fact that Jurassic World in particular merits a
despite being "kinda meh" and "not great, not bad".
The Force Awakens had a lot more going for it than just reference. All those other movies you mentioned had original ideas and it sometimes handled them poorly and sometimes well. Where Star Wats stands is because it did nothing original at all, it was basically a 2 hour long nostalgia trip, and it got worse on later viewings. It's not rewatchable, it's unoriginal, it looks nice and has some interesting characters, but there's no connect to the audience.

And for Jurassic World. In each blurb I tried to speak about what was good and what was bad in each movie, and I failed spectacularly to describe what I liked about Jurassic World. I thought it had a really interesting story, and an original one. They did an amazing job of creating a Theme Park, it looked perfect. And the CGI visuals, while dodgy at some parts, looked great at others. The characters are the biggest and only problem, they were obnoxious and served no interest in the story itself, most likely due to poor writing. I do like Jurassic World and I sincerely apologize for not writing that blurb correctly.

Sicario and Mad Max: Fury Road does nothing to me... both pretty standard and average flick but I love The Revenant, The Gift and The Martian so I give you rep
"The Revenant" was disappointment for me, even though it is very well done and there is little to criticize about it, it wasn't for me.

"The Gift" was good, but not great.

"The Martian" was really fun movie and good time watching it, but I don't think it's exactly what I'm looking for in a great movie.

"Sicario" and "Mad Max: Fury Road" could be called great as far as I'm concerned.

Welcome to the human race...
The Force Awakens had a lot more going for it than just reference. All those other movies you mentioned had original ideas and it sometimes handled them poorly and sometimes well. Where Star Wats stands is because it did nothing original at all, it was basically a 2 hour long nostalgia trip, and it got worse on later viewings. It's not rewatchable, it's unoriginal, it looks nice and has some interesting characters, but there's no connect to the audience.

And for Jurassic World. In each blurb I tried to speak about what was good and what was bad in each movie, and I failed spectacularly to describe what I liked about Jurassic World. I thought it had a really interesting story, and an original one. They did an amazing job of creating a Theme Park, it looked perfect. And the CGI visuals, while dodgy at some parts, looked great at others. The characters are the biggest and only problem, they were obnoxious and served no interest in the story itself, most likely due to poor writing. I do like Jurassic World and I sincerely apologize for not writing that blurb correctly.
I'm intrigued by how you can say that The Force Awakens has "interesting characters" while also having "no connect to the audience", because you'd think that much of an audience's connection to the film is through becoming invested in its characters' struggles, defeats, and victories. The strength of the characterisation was enough to make up for the film going overboard in drawing obvious parallels to the original film, even finding solid reasons to bring back old characters and giving them new arcs. In any case, if you're going to take The Force Awakens to task for pandering to people's nostalgia, then what makes it that much worse than Jurassic World? I definitely agree in earnest about the poor characterisation, though I clearly took more issue with the film's shamelessly cynical treatment of it material than you did (to the point where the visuals barely register when I think about the film).

I have to return some videotapes...

I'm just wondering how you thought the plot to Jurassic World was "original"? Sure the film was fun to watch, but it's the most cliched mess that came out of 2015. It's kind of disgusting how little effort they gave to making anything different from the first Jurassic Park.

Another thing is you gave Furious 7, Chappie, Jurassic World, San Andreas, The Gallows, In the Heart of the Sea, McFarland USA, and Joy a better rating than you gave Princess Bride? Once again I'm not trying to ****, but all those films listed above for me don't get past a
. So I'm just wondering how you think any of the films above are better than that classic? The Gallows is rancid horse s*it in my opinion along with McFarland.