I'm new and I love 80s movies

Tools    

Welcome, Dannii! While I wasn't crazy about the '80s socially or politically (I myself was only able to survive the decade as a headbanger), as a slasher-movie fan I can tell you it was a great time for movies, good or bad. Even bad movies are generally more fun if they're stuffed with '80s cheese!

I love the 80's probably more than any other decade because the eighties were still an experimental time in film making like the 60's and 70's except not as politically or socially charged. The 80's focused a lot on effects and core curiosities but still took the build from decades prior to establish some of the work on. There were a lot of really bad films from this era but also a lot of really good ones. I feel like the 80's still had some exploring to do before the 90's rolled out a new rule book.
Well said, Joel. While I think the '70s were probably more experimental, or at least not as crassly commercial, you nailed a couple major points the '80s had going for them: a) pre-CGI, practical effects (when Tom Savini ruled the world!); and b) a distinct (lack of) socio-political sensibilities, before the hand-wringing moralizing of the goody-goody '90s was upon us, and such staples as female nudity vanished from the face of the earth. (Not that nudity is the main point; it was just a period when our popular culture was generally less constrained than it soon became.)

So, uh, yeah -- hi Dannii!

Thank you for your welcome too BoxOfficePoison!! 😆. 80's movies are defo my favourite movies, i still have hundreds of then on vhs tapes. I very rarely watch any new release films, so when friends or colleagues mention a new film i haven't a clue what they are going on about! 😆

A system of cells interlinked
Hello and welcome to Movie Forums!

I found it! There's so many different things to view on this forum. I'm reading everything and taking it all in, lots of movies mentioned that i've never heard of so i'm gonna look those up. My brother has a machine a bit similar to a vhs recorder, it plays movies on discs, very similar to vinyl L.P's, not sure what the machine is called and we've only eva seen one apart from the one he has.

Welcome to the MoFo, dannii! I too love 80's movies!
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Where are most of the members gone? Didn't they have 100s of users on that forum?
That's a good question. I got the impression I was part of a minor influx around that time, but there weren't as many apparent newbies as I might have expected. (Especially since I found this place by googling "movie discussion boards" and MoFo came up at the top of the list.) I never checked out any other sites, so I really don't know where everybody went!