Make Your Picks

Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Color Wheel (2011)

Alex Ross Perry has a way of convincing you that he's another quirky indie director right up until he pulls the rug out from under your feet. The Color Wheel (2011) is as sweet as it is creepingly uncomfortable, which is quite the feat under such stigmatized circumstances. I'm not sure I've ever heard watched a film co-wrote by its co-stars, but I certainly wouldn't mind seeing these two together again.

http://boxd.it/9msin

"Money won is twice as sweet as money earned."

SPOILER FREE

if you still don't want to read it, that's fine

Captain America: Civil War directed by Joe and Anthony Russo -

As visually impressive as it striking and powerful. Captain America: Civil War does an outstanding job of juggling a multitude of moving and important parts that it's absolutely ludicrous that the movie is as coherent as it is. But somehow it just works. I'm at a loss for words, as to how the Joe and Anthony Russo were able to craft something so compelling and thematically respectable, using superheroes to tell a serious and heavy story, while understanding and being more than willing to provide levity throughout the film. The fight scenes and choreography are tight and extremely well done, and while they do lose a little edge do to some fast editing, I won't knock how exhilarating certain scenes are throughout the film. They took big leaps with this movie and it sure paid off. And I'm very much taking into account that I just saw the movie, and I'm still dealing with the rush of anxiety that came with almost not getting in. But as I cool down I'm definitely feeling that excitement lifted. Not that you weren't already gonna see it, but if you weren't, I highly recommend it, based purely on it's wow fact, enjoyment, and great storytelling. I can't wait to see this again opening night.

Welcome to the human race...

Bad Boys II >>>>> Escape from New York
Bold words, dude. At least Escape From New York doesn't rip off a Jackie Chan movie for its climax.

Judging from the BoxOffice....I wouldn't hold my breath.
This reminded me of that one user from a few years back who was encouraging people to go and pay money to see Crank: High Voltage in order to convince the powers that be to produce a third Crank movie.

Last movie I saw...

Mud -

In hindsight, I probably should have seen this before seeing Joe. That way it wouldn't have been as much of a disappointment.

"Only the strong" a cheesy movie about a teacher with a group of kids getting discipline through his martial arts training. it culminates in a battle with a gang.

so many of these people would be dead in real life. Bring a fist to a gang fight lol.

I'm not sure I've ever heard watched a film co-wrote by its co-stars, but I certainly wouldn't mind seeing these two together again.
2/3 of the "Before" films

I'm not sure I've ever heard watched a film co-wrote by its co-stars, but I certainly wouldn't mind seeing these two together again.
2/3 of the "Before" films
Actually, all of them.

Master of My Domain
Another person who likes this film, hooray. It's close to at least not being underrated on MoFo.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Silver Linings Playbook (David O. Russel, 2012)

A typical David O. Russel movie.
The acting is quite good, J. Lawrence and Bradley Cooper show an interesting chemistry while DeNiro is solid, though it will be always a mistery how can one of the most remarkable actors of a generation turn into a rom-com actor...
The soundtrack is as usual full of jazz standards that give the film an interesting feeling and pacing, besides making the watch a bit funnier.
However, as in other O. Russel's movies the character depth is inexistent and that's pretty annoying. In some ways he reminds me of Nolan. They both have some good ideas and they definitely can make a movie but they are horrible horrible writers. They should let someone write the screenplays and focus on what they do well, and maybe the movies will become masterpieces instead of only decent.
The last act gets pretty cliche but nothing I wasn't expecting.

A typical David O. Russel movie.
The acting is quite good, J. Lawrence and Bradley Cooper show an interesting chemistry while DeNiro is solid, though it will be always a mistery how can one of the most remarkable actors of a generation turn into a rom-com actor...
The soundtrack is as usual full of jazz standards that give the film an interesting feeling and pacing, besides making the watch a bit funnier.
However, as in other O. Russel's movies the character depth is inexistent and that's pretty annoying. In some ways he reminds me of Nolan. They both have some good ideas and they definitely can make a movie but they are horrible horrible writers. They should let someone write the screenplays and focus on what they do well, and maybe the movies will become masterpieces instead of only decent.
The last act gets pretty cliche but nothing I wasn't expecting.
Alarm sirens were going off in my head reading this. I like Nokan, and looove Russel, but they are polar opposites. Nolan's films are high minded while Russell's plots are nonexistent. His strongest point is his writing which is Nolan's weakest. That's why his movies are funny and you get those great performances, because the characters are written so well. His films may be shallow thematically, I think that is a valid criticism. They are not poorly written though.

Actually, all of them.
I thought this might have been the case, but when I made the post I quickly checked and went by IMDb, it appears you're right, something to do with the screenwriters guild, but there doesn't appear to be too much information on it. I'd imagine that they had greater input after the first film once they had first met their characters.

Take the basic "US invaded by bad guys" idea from Red Dawn, replace Swayze and Sheen with Chuck Norris and his beard, fill it with 80's action tropes and you get a badass example of 80's action! SEE IT!

I've always depended on the kindness of strangers
Point Blank - 4/10

Recommended by someone I know very well, even knew Lee Marvin. Personally, I thought this was very boring, which is odd considering it's considered an Action/Thriller... The surrealism didn't add anything for me, script wasn't very good, the acting is very cliched.

The Revenant (2015)

Even better with a rewatch.

-
Same Rating as you great flick