Best Science Fiction Movie - All Time

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by pexlc2
2001 A space odissey and 12 monkeys are the only sci-fi movies in my top 50.

Hows Clockwork orange a sci-fi??
Because it is a futuristic Sci-Fi film... A fictional futuristic England, where they are testing a fictional mind control treatment.. So, it's fiction, and it deals with scientific subject matter, making it science fiction. Real science fiction, to be exact. Films like Star Wars are not science fiction, but fantasy, IMO, and there are very few true sci-fi pictures. Stuff like Contact and Gattaca qualify, to me, while stuff like Star Trek is pure fanatsy that could just never happen. A Clockwork Orange could clearly happen, just not yet. Tried and true sci-fi, that film.

It's the same issue Ray Bradbury gets so snippy about in his interviews when people mistakenly label him a science fiction writer. He is a fantasy writer, and has written only one actual science-fiction piece in his lifetime, which is "There will come soft Rains."

Regardless, I have a fantasy-ish film on my list, in Akira, so people tend to bend that term a lot around here....

"Gattaca" - on the top;
"Dark City" - that one 2;
"12 monkeys";
"Pay Check";
"Minority Report";
"Equilibrium";
"War of the worlds";
"The Island" - let it be.

Originally Posted by cinemaniac
"Gattaca" - on the top;
"Dark City" - that one 2;
"12 monkeys";
"Pay Check";
"Minority Report";
"Equilibrium";
"War of the worlds";
"The Island" - let it be.
Gattaca is ever so solid. I am curious, though. Most of the titles you list are on the gritty side, but I don't see Blade Runner on the list. have you not seen it? Don't care for it?

Originally Posted by Sedai
Gattaca is ever so solid. I am curious, though. Most of the titles you list are on the gritty side, but I don't see Blade Runner on the list. have you not seen it? Don't care for it?

Actually i havent seen it but if i had the possibility to c it and liked it i would put it in my list.what i wrote is what i like and what i consider good or quite good.POINT.

Originally Posted by cinemaniac
Actually i havent seen it but if i had the possibility to c it and liked it i would put it in my list.what i wrote is what i like and what i consider good or quite good.POINT.
Ok. What does POINT mean? Anyway, check it out if you get the chance, as it is considered seminal sci-fi by many.

I'm gonna go with David Lynch's Director's Version Sci-Fi masterpiece...

DUNE

My collection will not be complete until I receive the Dune Extended Edition due here in the states in January 2006.

Alien
Bladerunner
The Matrix Triliogy
The Star Wars Saga

round out my top five.

Bang The Drum Slowly
Armageddon

Off the top of my head would be the following:

Starwars
Startrek
Armageddon
Mission to Mars
Capricorn One
Jurrassic Park
Frequency
Contact
E.T.
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Deep Impact
Starman

You're only as healthy as you feel
Star wars
Brazil
E.T
Donnie darko
The matrix
Minority report
Blade runner

I know it's asking for a best list but I decided to write an alternative list of films forgotten, dislike, overlooked and underappreciated that I love for some reason or another. just to make it more interesting, for me at least.

Altered States - weird visuals, weird concept weird film. there are parts in the film that were extremely frightening and provocative. So far the best film I've watched of Ken Russell's.

The Arrival - Low budget sci-fi with Charlie Sheen. I enjoyed a lot of the idea's although the film never works on all levels. it remained intriguing thought out.

Capricorn One - Sometimes you want a film to work out so bad that you forgive it for it's terrible execution of such a great idea. What if they faked a man mission to mars and the astronauts weren't in on it ? How would they react and what would become of them ? and What if there fate liad in the hands of others ?. Its an fantasic premise that's pulled off very poorly.

Colossus: The Forbin Project - I'm surprised this film isn't mentioned more often. One reason could be that it has no starts or that it forecast such a dark view of the future It is about a supercompter taking over the world and it probably doesn't help that the Actors seem to me more emtionless then there counterparters the computers.

Strange Days - Not so into the distant future apocalyptic gem. The film deals with the days leading up to millenium and a visual memoirs captured threw a specilized head gear device that lets you feel, sense and see what that person goes threw. Cronenberg did something simular with eXistenz but, Bigelow does it on a much more vast scale. Bigelow's best quite possible.

Frequency - Well acted. definatly a silly storyline but I found it to be highly enjoyable.

Rollerball - Not the awful remake. I'm talking about Jewison's film on Gladiator blood sports of the future, media, the perception of truth and what it is to be human.

Silent Running - Up there with the best sci-fi films of all time. To bad Visual effects master Douglas Trumbell didn't direct more films also check out Brainstorm.

Slaughterhouse-Five - I really need to see this again. I remember liking it quite some bit. I recall it being visual assertive and having a very fractured style of storytelling. I wonder if the book is any good ?

Speed Racer - I must admit I didn't think this was going to be anygood and many would state that it wasn't, but I dug it. I really go into it. everything seemed to fit in for all it's strange sequences they all work with the atmosphere of the film.

Timecop - One of Jean Claude Van Damme best movies is that really saying anything. I'm beginning to think that Peter Hyams really knows how to ruin great filmmatic ideas. First Capricorn One secondly Outland which was ok thirdly 2010 which he should have left alone and than Timecop. Whenever I see a Peter Hyams movie I always think what if ?

Tron - I am highly anticipating the new Tron

Zardoz - John Boorman has such an imagination. Sometimes I think he doesn't know when to stop. Visually stunning. I read a review that stated Sean Connery runs around the entire film wearing more or less nothing but a diaper I was sold had to see it to beileve it.

Here are a few good ones

The Matrix
Terminator 2
Back to the future
Planet of the Apes
ET
2001 A space Odyssey
Blade Runner

Ray

Anarchist within reason
Total Recall or District 9
If at his council I should turn aside, Into that ominous tract which all agree, Hides the Dark Tower. Yet aquiescingly I did turn as he pointed, neither pride nor hope at the end descried, so much as gladness that some end might be.

Robert Browning 'Childe Roland to The Dark Tower Came'

I know I will be repeating what others have said in this thread, but...

2001: A Space Odyssey, it won't ever be beat, I don't think.

RightUpTheLittleTramps@ss !
Earth VS The flying Saucers!

The Blob

Arnie Cunningham- Right up the little tramps @ss!

Alien and Aliens

Mine would probably be:

Alien
E.T.
Star Wars (the whole lot)
Gattaca
Twelve Monkeys
Terminator
A.I.
Bicentennial MAn

so many good movies to mention, but these were what came to mind at the moment.

Now I'm incredibly curious as to why no one has even made one mention of Serenity . It is an incredibly good movie.

1. Blade Runner
2. Avatar
3. Gattaca
4. Serenity