IMDB Top 100

Tools    

So many good movies, so little time.
The Internet Movie Data Base Top 100
http://imdb.com/chart/top
has a very interesting collection of popular, foreign and art house movies.

What movie do you think doesn't belong in the top 100?

What movie do you think is missing from the top 100?

Me :

Doesn't belong
#25 Amelie (good movie but #25 All Time?)

Missing
#154 Adventures of Robin Hood (crime if its not in top 10)
#128 Unforgiven (gets better with each viewing)

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

The Emperor of Ice Cream
I believe a movie that does not belong in the top 100 is The Sixth Sense (#95).

My choice for a movie that does belong: Eraserhead (unranked), or The Virgin Suicides (unranked).

Eraserhead doesn't have enough mass appeal for the top 100 of all time, not saying it isn't good, i personally didnt care for it, but it is well made.

also, if you click on a specific movie in IMDb thts on the list, for some reason its rating is sometimes higher than the one thats on the top 100, anyone know why that is? ex: LotR: RotK and Shawshank Redemption, on the list page they both have 8.9, but if you clikc the specific movie page they're both 9.0. and shawshank has about 22000 more votes than the godfather (these two have been battling for #1 on the list for a while)

Arthur: If I asked you where the hell we were, would I regret it?
Ford: We're safe.
Arthur: Oh good.
Ford: We're in a small galley cabin in one of the spaceships of the Vogon Constructor Fleet.
Arthur: Ah, this is obviously some strange use of the word safe that I wasn't previously aware of.

Kill Bill: Vol 1 certainly doesn't belong, in my opinion.
Neither does Fight Club or (this one is especially unnerving) Finding Nemo.

Originally Posted by Mostly Harmless
if you click on a specific movie in IMDb thts on the list, for some reason its rating is sometimes higher than the one thats on the top 100, anyone know why that is? ex: LotR: RotK and Shawshank Redemption, on the list page they both have 8.9, but if you clikc the specific movie page they're both 9.0.
Well when you clock on the specific movie it says user rating. If you click on IMDB Top 250 All Time Favorites it says Rating. So i think there different ratings.

Originally Posted by Mostly Harmless
shawshank has about 22000 more votes than the godfather (these two have been battling for #1 on the list for a while)
Well Shawshank Redemption has many more Votes then Godfather. Some of the Shawshank Redemption Votes could be bad. For Example 100 people voted Shawshank Redemption a 6/10 and 100 people vote The Godfather 8/10. So who would you put in First? The One people Liked the Most.

The films that belong in the top 100 you will find at www.afi.com

Goin down the list, here are the ones I dont think belong in the top 100.

Shawshank Redemption, The (1994)
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, The (2002)
Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The (2001)
Usual Suspects, The (1995)
Memento (2000)
American Beauty (1999)
Matrix, The (1999)
Fight Club (1999)
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi (2001) (I love Hayao Miyazaki, just dont know if it is top 100 good)
L.A. Confidential (1997)
Requiem for a Dream (2000)
Se7en (1995)
American History X (1998)
Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (2003)
Finding Nemo (2003)
Reservoir Dogs (1992)
Great Escape, The (1963)
Shining, The (1980)
Donnie Darko (2001)
Full Metal Jacket (1987)

I like a lot of those movies, but cant really say I would ever consider them in a top 100 list. I would probably have 30 or 40 other movies off that top 100 list if I was making a top 100, but would consider putting them on

The Emperor of Ice Cream
It's not about mass appeal, it's about what I think should be in the top 100.

Tolstoy said :
There were 48 in common between IMDB list and AFI lists. Of the remainders I kind of thought the IMDB was a little more exciting. Of course foreign movies are allowed in this IMDB list. Throwing out ones in common and keeping order here is comparison and my vote. (T) is for tie
or ones I didn't see.

4. GONE WITH THE WIND vs Shawshank Redemption (A)
7. THE GRADUATE vs Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (I)
17. THE AFRICAN QUEEN vs. Seven Samauri (I)
21. THE GRAPES OF WRATH vs. Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (A)
25. E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL vs. Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (I)
27. BONNIE AND CLYDE (1967) vs Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (A)
35. IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT vs Usual Suspects (A)
36. MIDNIGHT COWBOY vs Memento (T)
37. THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES vs Buono, il brutto, il cattivo (I)
39. DOCTOR ZHIVAGO vs 12 Angry Men (I)
41. WEST SIDE STORY vs Amélie (A)
43. KING KONG vs Cidade de Deus (T)
44. THE BIRTH OF A NATION vs American Beauty (I)
45. A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE vs C'era una volta il West (I)
49. SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS vs Matrix (I)
50. BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID vs Pianist (A)
51. THE PHILADELPHIA STORY vs Paths of Glory (A)
52. FROM HERE TO ETERNITY vs Fight Club (I)
54. ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT vs Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (I)
55. THE SOUND OF MUSIC vs Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi (T)
56. M*A*S*H vs Das Boot (T)
58. FANTASIA vs L.A. Confidential (I)
59. REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE vs M (I)
62. TOOTSIE vs Requiem for a Dream (T)
63. STAGECOACH vs Se7en (A)
64. CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND vs Monty Python and the Holy Grail (I)
66. NETWORK vs Rashômon (I)
69. SHANE vs Saving Private Ryan (A)
70. THE FRENCH CONNECTION vs Alien (A)
71. FORREST GUMP vs American History X (T)
72. BEN-HUR vs Léon (A)
73. WUTHERING HEIGHTS vs The Sting (T)
74. THE GOLD RUSH vs Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (T)
75. DANCES WITH WOLVES vs Vita è bella, La (T)
77. AMERICAN GRAFFITI vs Touch of Evil (I)
78. ROCKY vs Reservoir Dogs (T)
79. THE DEER HUNTER vs Finding Nemo (A)
80. THE WILD BUNCH vs Great Escape (A)
82. GIANT vs Ran (I)
83. PLATOON vs Wo hu cang long (T)
86. MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY vs Braveheart (A)
87. FRANKENSTEIN vs Metropolis (A)
88. EASY RIDER vs Aliens (T)
89. PATTON vs Shining (A)
90. THE JAZZ SINGER vs Strangers on a Train (T)
91. MY FAIR LADY vs The General (T)
92. A PLACE IN THE SUN vs Blade Runner (I)
96. THE SEARCHERS vs Donnie Darko (A)
97. BRINGING UP BABY vs Sixth Sense (A)
98. UNFORGIVEN vs Great Dictator (A)
99. GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER vs Nuovo cinema Paradiso (I)
100. YANKEE DOODLE DANDY vs Princess Bride (I)

19 for AFI list. 19 for IMDB list. 14 ties.

Don't forget most people who vote in IMDB love movies. Pretty good list to me.

kill bill vol. 1 definitly doesnt belong. Vol. 2 was so much better but i dont even think vol. 2 should be on the list and if it was it should be on the end.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
I cant believe Kill bill Vol 1 beat out Tarintino's other master pieces.. Resevoir dogs WAS FAR superior to Kill bill Vol 1.. And the ranking of Full Metal Jacket(102) was absolutly insane.. At least Pulp Fiction and American History X were on there......

Originally Posted by uconjack
Don't forget most people who vote in IMDB love movies. Pretty good list to me.
Most people that vote on the imdb list I would hardly consider movie lovers, otherwise there is no way that movies like Fight Club, American History X, etc would ever be in a top 100 list. More like there is a large portion of people who are movie lovers, and there is another equally large portion of 16 year old kids who had never seen a good movie in their life and their MSN names are "Tyler Durden says... Use soap" or something stupid like that.

Mine are in bold.

4. GONE WITH THE WIND vs Shawshank Redemption (A) (toiugh choice, as I like Shawshank more, but its definitely not a better movie)
7. THE GRADUATE vs Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (I)
17. THE AFRICAN QUEEN vs. Seven Samauri (I) (This would be in AFI so it isnt really fair.)
21. THE GRAPES OF WRATH vs. Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (A)
25. E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL vs. Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (I)
27. BONNIE AND CLYDE (1967) vs Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (A)
35. IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT vs Usual Suspects (A)
36. MIDNIGHT COWBOY vs Memento (T) (YOU PUT A TIE!?!?!?!)
37. THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES vs Buono, il brutto, il cattivo (I) (This is good, bad, ugly right?)
39. DOCTOR ZHIVAGO vs 12 Angry Men (I) (Scott was amazing, but come on, Lean is a God)
41. WEST SIDE STORY vs Amélie (A)
43. KING KONG vs Cidade de Deus (T)
44. THE BIRTH OF A NATION vs American Beauty (I) (Neither I really think are great movies, but Birth of a Nation was way more important.)
45. A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE vs C'era una volta il West (I)
49. SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS vs Matrix (I)
50. BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID vs Pianist (A)
51. THE PHILADELPHIA STORY vs Paths of Glory (A)
52. FROM HERE TO ETERNITY vs Fight Club (I)
54. ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT vs Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (I)
55. THE SOUND OF MUSIC vs Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi (T)
56. M*A*S*H vs Das Boot (T)
58. FANTASIA vs L.A. Confidential (I)
59. REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE vs M (I)
62. TOOTSIE vs Requiem for a Dream (T)
63. STAGECOACH vs Se7en (A)
64. CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND vs Monty Python and the Holy Grail (I)
66. NETWORK vs Rashômon (I)
69. SHANE vs Saving Private Ryan (A)
70. THE FRENCH CONNECTION vs Alien (A)
71. FORREST GUMP vs American History X (T)
72. BEN-HUR vs Léon (A)
73. WUTHERING HEIGHTS vs The Sting (T)
74. THE GOLD RUSH vs Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (T)
75. DANCES WITH WOLVES vs Vita è bella, La (T)
77. AMERICAN GRAFFITI vs Touch of Evil (I)
78. ROCKY vs Reservoir Dogs (T)
79. THE DEER HUNTER vs Finding Nemo (A)
80. THE WILD BUNCH vs Great Escape (A)
82. GIANT vs Ran (I)
83. PLATOON vs Wo hu cang long (T)
86. MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY vs Braveheart (A)
87. FRANKENSTEIN vs Metropolis (A) Never seen Metropolis
88. EASY RIDER vs Aliens (T)
89. PATTON vs Shining (A)
90. THE JAZZ SINGER vs Strangers on a Train (T)
91. MY FAIR LADY vs The General (T) Never seen The General
92. A PLACE IN THE SUN vs Blade Runner (I)
96. THE SEARCHERS vs Donnie Darko (A)
97. BRINGING UP BABY vs Sixth Sense (A)
98. UNFORGIVEN vs Great Dictator (A)
99. GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER vs Nuovo cinema Paradiso (I)
100. YANKEE DOODLE DANDY vs Princess Bride (I) (Cagney was brilliant though)

19 for AFI list. 19 for IMDB list. 14 ties.
28 for AFI list. 7 for IMDB list. 15 ties.

Originally Posted by Animal_Mother
I cant believe Kill bill Vol 1 beat out Tarintino's other master pieces.. Resevoir dogs WAS FAR superior to Kill bill Vol 1.. And the ranking of Full Metal Jacket(102) was absolutly insane.. At least Pulp Fiction and American History X were on there......
At least American History X is on there? That movie shouldn't be on a top 10000 movie list let alone a top 100. The transformation seemed completely rediculous to me and I didn't buy it for a minute. Norton uses semi-intelligent dialogue and arguments fighting against people who are scripted to say yes... but ... hes a good kid. Bleh, only movie I would removie before American History X is Fight Club or The Matrix.

You also meant that Full Metal Jacket should have been lower right?

Tolstoy said :
Most people that vote on the imdb list I would hardly consider movie lovers

Still 22 of 50 picks you had IMDB as good or better then AFI. And AFI had movies that critics say are great and may be important to film history but I will never watch again including Birth of a Nation, The General, Snow White and Fantasia.

Give me Blade Runner, Donnie Darko, Holy Grail, Seven Samauri, Once Upon a Time in the West ...

I haven't seen Momento yet.

You had
Ran tied with Giant
and
American Graffitti tied with Touch of Evil?

Still 22 of 50 picks you had IMDB as good or better then AFI. And AFI had movies that critics say are great and may be important to film history but I will never watch again including Birth of a Nation, The General, Snow White and Fantasia.

Give me Blade Runner, Donnie Darko, Holy Grail, Seven Samauri, Once Upon a Time in the West ...
22 out of 50 and most of those were films ineligible for the AFI list since they were either post-1994 or foreign films. The General which you mentioned wasnt on AFIs list, but was on IMDBs. As for Snow White and Fantasia, they are very important films and deserve to be on the list much moreso than films like Donnie Darko. I agree that Bladerunner should be on the top 100 list. Also, the Leone films may have not been eligible for the AFI list, the same with Kurosawa.

You had
Ran tied with Giant
and
American Graffitti tied with Touch of Evil?
Ya, I probably should have Giant win it out right, but too much respect for Kurosawa. For my review on Giant
check here.

As for American Graffiti and Touch of Evil, they are both great movies.

Most of the films I have tied were ineligible for the AFI list.

Uconjack said originally :
The Internet Movie Data Base Top 100
http://imdb.com/chart/top
has a very interesting collection of popular, foreign and art house movies.

Tolstoy said originally :
The original point wasn't about American or pre-1995 movies. Just about movies.

Ya, I understand that, and even with AFIs restrictions I still think the list is a lot better than IMDBs.

Its like giving someone a 50 meter head start in a 100 meter race and still wasting them. The IMDB list could become respectable but when you have movies like Shawshank Redemption battling for the #1 spot and other worthless movies like Fight Club, American History X, and to a lesser degree Requiem for a Dream, Donnie Darko, etc littering the top 100 its hard to feel good for the good movies which did make the list. It just cheapens it for me.

I would love for the AFI to release a top 100 list including modern and foreign films, or for another well respected source to do it with the amount of care the AFI went through to make their list.

I agree that the AFI list is of a higher quality. I just think that the IMDB list is pretty good considering how they formulate it. And movies like Donnie Darko and Fight Club which we might dismiss on first viewing may deserve a second look.

Ive seen both movies a lot...

My review on Fight Club.

I do enjoy checking out the IMDB list for the reasons you mentioned, and it definitely has a lot of good movies on there. It is just disappointing that so many of these mediocre modern movies which have huge cult followings in the 16-24 year old crowd do so well. I was in the exact same position years ago, my favorite movies were movies like American Beauty, American History X, Fight Club, Usual Suspects, Requiem For A Dream, Donnie Darko etc. I hadnt seen many of the classics, and when I had I didnt have the patience to enjoy them. Looking back, I still enjoy watching them, but I would hardly consider them classics, let alone putting any of them in any top movies list.

You could also check out the AFI top 400 films of all time list, you will find movies like Shawshank Redemption on that list. (check out the 400 nominated films)

There are those who call me...Tim.
Right, if I had my way...
ROTK would not have been so high. 3rd place? I would've put it in the thirties if I was feeling generous.
The Empire Strikes Back should've been in the top 3, with Star Wars at no. 4.
The Matrix shouldn't have made it into the list at all.
Neither would Kill Bill.
Die Hard would've been in at least 40th place.
Monsters Inc in the top 250?
Pirates of the Caribbean would've been in the 90's at least.
Rain Man would've been much higher.
Beauty and the Beast would be in the top 10 (a good replacement for ROTK).

And I'm spent.