Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events

→ in
Tools    

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (d. Brad Silberling, 2004) ***

Bruce Campbell Groupie
Saw this film yesterday-loved it-another winner from Carrey!

Originally Posted by Aniko
I could have done without the slapping scene.
I disagree completely.

The slapping scene was completely necessary. Without it, Olaf would have still been evil, but in a jokingly stupid and tongue-in-cheek manner; in other words, he wouldn't have been a genuine threat at all. The slap had to be there and had to be realistically violent in order to establish a genuine air of menace about Olaf, which stays with him him for the rest of the film. [The friend I saw it with said that the most chilling moment of the entire film is when Olaf appears out of the fog on his boat: "Hello, hello, hello." I'm convinced that this is because of the constant threat of violence that Olaf imposes; a direct result, in my opinion, of the slap.]

Personally, what I found most disturbing was...

WARNING: "Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events" spoilers below
Olaf marrying Violet!

I mean, it's absurd and all in jest, sure, but it's really, really sick as well; in fact, when you think about it, this film dares to be dark in a way that many don't; people tend to die a lot in this picture.

Meanwhile, this is the short review that I wrote on my BLOG:

Needless to say, I'm somewhat saddened [if not completely surprised] by many of the mixed reviews that Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (d. Brad Silberling, 2004) is receiving. The majority of critics are unfairly targeting Carrey's bravura performance as Count Olaf as the film's major flaw [next to its problematically episodic structure]; I say "unfair" because it's one of the best performances of the year, comedic or otherwise. There's more to acting than the [mere?] ability to emote or [ahem] "be". There's also the ability to turn one's body into a malleable, almost liquid prop – an organic special effect – and Carrey's body, as ever, is one of the most interesting, intriguing and remarkably versatile things that cinema audiences have the profound privilege to see on screen nowadays. Carrey's body, like the film, is a hive of infinite possibilities.

Less easy for me to argue in favour of is the film's episodic structure, which is admittedly a little all over the place [as a result of the film being based on the first three books of the series and blah, blah, blah, blah, blah]. Personally, I found there to be more than enough in the film – enough ideas; enough comedy; enough surprisingly disturbing elements [the slap; the wedding; the body count] – to render this pretty much irrelevant [if not completely]. I found the shift into the "Time-Turner" section of Harry Potter and Prisoner of Azkaban (d. Alfonso Cuarón, 2004) to be just as disorientating as the shifts in Unfortunate Events [which I preferred], and if I had no problem with such disorientation then – if I was able to just give myself over to the film – then I refuse to see why I should have any problem with it now.

To be honest, I just found myself loving that the film spoke up to its audience instead of down to them. Everything else, as far as I was concerned, was really just a bonus.

And I adored Jude Law's darkly comic and overtly literary narration. For obvious, Flushed-related reasons...

Lets put a smile on that block
Great review SB. Have you read the books? From your review it sounds as though theyv'e translated really well to the screen. Im seeing this tomorrow and i cant wait. As for 'that' slap, Throughout the books Olaf gets progressively worse and worse, and if they portray him like this in the rest of the films (If they continue with them) then the odd slap will be nothing to get shocked about. His an awsome villain, and as the story goes on the fabulous Snickett begins to reveal things about Olaf that really will shock you, and suprise as well

Originally Posted by susan
thanks for all the feedback everyone..wiill probably see this one christmas eve and the aviator christmas day....
I'm dying to see The Aviator! & The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou...

Nice review Bullet. I read the first book The Bad Beginning and loved the ending of it, which they made the ending of the movie. And they changed how Olaf is "defeated". To be franked i thought it was much better then last year's Peter Pan & Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, but i didn't think it was better then Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone & Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. I read the review in Entertainment Weekly which gave Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events a C+ i believe*. Quite frankly i enjoyed the movie...

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I thoroughly enjoyed the film, I thought Jim Carrey was great as Count Olaf. I disagree that the slap was unneccesary, it made him that much more menacing, where he easily could have just come off as a "Snidley Whiplash" kind of comic villain. He makes a great, depraved sort of evil-doer, and the three children in the film are wonderfully downbeat, especially the actress who played Violet. This easily could have been "Home Alone," I.E. spunky children outwit and defeat an inept adult, but thankfully, it's not. EXTREMELY dark, and weird. I loved it.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

I just saw 'A Series of Unfortunate Events' a few hours ago and I thought it was amazing. As an avid reader of the book series I thought everything perfect from start to finish. The casting and cinematography were what really stood out for me. Liam Akien and Emily Brownig did great as Violet and Klaus. Jim Carrey also wowed me, even though he was at times a bit over the top. The visual scenes and effects were also something that I will truly remember. I would also advise staying for the credits to watch the great animations that re-tell the story of the children. Over all, despite the things left out of the film and the new aspects of the story that were added, I found the first film for 'The Bad Beginning', 'The Reptile Room', and 'The Wide Window' to be very well adapted and I look forward to seeing the next films. It was truly a fortunate experience.
A storm is coming Frank says, a storm that will swallow the children. And I will deliver them from the Kingdom of pain. I will deliver the childern back to their doorsteps. I will send the monster back to the Underground. I will send it to a place where no one else can see; Except for me. 'Cause I am Donnie Darko.

Oh, yes. There will be blood....
Originally Posted by The Silver Bullet
I disagree completely.

The slapping scene was completely necessary. Without it, Olaf would have still been evil, but in a jokingly stupid and tongue-in-cheek manner; in other words, he wouldn't have been a genuine threat at all. The slap had to be there and had to be realistically violent in order to establish a genuine air of menace about Olaf, which stays with him him for the rest of the film. [The friend I saw it with said that the most chilling moment of the entire film is when Olaf appears out of the fog on his boat: "Hello, hello, hello." I'm convinced that this is because of the constant threat of violence that Olaf imposes; a direct result, in my opinion, of the slap.]
I couldn't have said it in better words. Great review Silver Bullet

And.....

Originally Posted by blibblobblib
Great review SB. Have you read the books? From your review it sounds as though theyv'e translated really well to the screen. Im seeing this tomorrow and i cant wait. As for 'that' slap, Throughout the books Olaf gets progressively worse and worse, and if they portray him like this in the rest of the films (If they continue with them) then the odd slap will be nothing to get shocked about. His an awsome villain, and as the story goes on the fabulous Snickett begins to reveal things about Olaf that really will shock you, and suprise as well
Thanks for the heads up. Con't wait to find out all the secrets about Olaf and the family. Maybe I'll get so restless that I'll just buy the books and read 'em.....

Also, what sort of things were in the movie that were in the books? Also, what sort of things were changed? Also, what sort of things were not IN the movie that you wish were? Could someone [who has read these] please answer this???

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by The Silver Bullet
I disagree completely.

The slapping scene was completely necessary. Without it, Olaf would have still been evil, but in a jokingly stupid and tongue-in-cheek manner; in other words, he wouldn't have been a genuine threat at all.
Alright...after talking with my daughter about the movie more at length today....I'll give in. The slapping was still a little jolting and I wish I had read about it in a review somewhere. At least I would have been prepared for it since I haven't read the books. My daughter convinced me about the slapping and the need to prove Olaf's evilness very much as you had. Nice review Silver.

Blibby...thanks for the heads up on the slapping getting progressively worse in the books. I hope they make another movie on the series...and if/when they do, I'll be a little more prepared. I'm such a wuss.

Several friends of mine saw this and had mixed reviews...I'm still digging going to see it though

Lets put a smile on that block
Finally got to see this tonight and i absoloulty loved it. i thought it was directed so well. It looked brilliant and the imagry could not have transferred any better to film. Carrey was excellant as Olaf, although i did think he needed to be slightly more evil...but maybe im just asking too much, its just that in the film you really hate him, his so evil and really quite scary in several parts. I adored the kids, especially Sunny, she was excellant and was great playing along side Streep as Aunt J, highlighting her peculairities. And Streep, she cracked me up, getting Aunt J down to a T. I thought it was very clever how they merged and re-ordered the sequence of events that occur over the three books the films are adaptations of, but i did feel they may have given too much of the story away too soon, especially with the mentioning and emphasis of the society of V.F.D. which isnt actually even mentioned until the fifth book of the series. But then again i suspect its really wet everyones appetite for the next film, which they must bring out soon. I would love to see everyone who is in the first return for the second installement, especially Thomas Newman delivering the score, loved it, perfect as ususal

Ive just started reading Book the Eleventh, The Grim Grotto, only two more to go then the end, what could happen to those poor Bauldelaires?...

Originally Posted by FigNewton
one more thing... I forgot to ask is there any word on when it is to be released in theaters?
in Canada its already out

I wonder if Tim Burton would have done a better job?

The scenes had that goth look like in Tim Burton's films. Probably because the production designer was Rick Heinrichs.

So is Count Olaf the villain in all of these books?

(p.s. if someone answers this, try to avoid spoilers [like if he dies])

Originally Posted by blibblobblib
Yes he is. Along with his Troupe.
That's great!! I con't wait to see him in the other movies then!