Your top 5 star trek movies and how do u like 2009 reboot?

Tools    

I ve seen all of the trek movies and i am a big trek fan since my childhood, i like the premjse of a space ship exploring the galaxy for new worlds and aliens etc,
I would like to mention that my personal favorite villain in the trek movies is: ricardo montalban s character in star trek: the wrath of khan.
All in all i liked most of the trek movies across the years but i found some of them dull and uninspiring to say the least.
Anyway here is my top 5 trek movies:
1-undisputed champ to me : star trek 2 the wrath of khan
2-star trek 2009 a superb reboot
3-star trek generations
4-star trek the search for spock
5-star trek the undiscovered country
Other notable mentions , star trek the voyage home and star trek the motion picture
Have your say and what are your top 5

I ve seen all of the trek movies and i am a big trek fan since my childhood, i like the premjse of a space ship exploring the galaxy for new worlds and aliens etc,
Yeah, I've always liked Star Trek as well. When I was a kid I didn't respond as much to the classic series but now it's my favourite, along with the first series of TNG.

I would like to mention that my personal favorite villain in the trek movies is: ricardo montalban s character in star trek: the wrath of khan.
I think he'd be my choice as well, and I include Space Seed. I also really liked Tom Hardy as Shinzon – it was the first time I'd seen him and I was really impressed with the presence he had.

All in all i liked most of the trek movies across the years but i found some of them dull and uninspiring to say the least.
Yeah – it hadn't really occurred to me how little money they were given for those early films until the 2009 reboot came along and it was mentioned. A bit like Doctor Who they'd never put enough money on the table to do it justice.

I didn't expect to like the reboot but I saw the opening one night and it was great. I later got the film and watched it and thoroughly enjoyed it. There were a few things I wasn't keen on, and I didn't think Eric Bana was quite right for Nero, but it was alright. I haven't seen all of Into Darkness, but I didn't rate Benedict Cumberbatch at all. To me, it was a really poor performance.

My top 5:

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (I never liked this one but as soon as I changed my tack on the classic series I realised that this film is the closest to the feel of those episodes)
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (I remember seeing this in the cinema, and always liked Sulu in this one. "I'm sorry Captain, you're breaking up" – legend ).
Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (you've got to love Christopher Lloyd – apparently he was that into being a warlord that he wanted to just shout up to his ship instead of using the communicator . Horrible makeup design though).
Star Trek: Nemesis (purely for Tom Hardy. The rest of it is not that great)

Welcome to the human race...
My current top five would be...

1. II: The Wrath of Khan
2. First Contact
3. The Undiscovered Country
4. The Voyage Home
5. The Search for Spock

As for the '09 reboot - I re-watched it the other day and found it a slick but trifling affair that gets by on the basis of some decent casting and a plot that is propulsive but not numbing.

I'm not a huge fan but I liked the oldies, whats the one where there are in a prison in a frozen wasteland? and wrath of khan was good

I found the remake to be convoluted and boring, the only enjoyable thing being the special effects.

I'm not a huge fan but I liked the oldies, whats the one where there are in a prison in a frozen wasteland?
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

A system of cells interlinked
Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan
Star Trek IV - The Undiscovered Country
Star Trek IV - The Voyage Home
Star Trek (2009)
Star Trek III - The Search for Spock
Star Trek - The Motion Picture
(2002 cut - A MUCH better film than the boring cut from 1979)
Star Trek - Into Darkness
Star Trek V - The Final Frontier

Star Trek - The Motion Picture[/i] (2002 cut - A MUCH better film than the boring cut from 1979)
I don't think I've ever seen it.

My favorite is The Empire Strikes Back.
I was always a Return of the Jedi fan myself (pre-CGI alterations, naturally).

I always see First Contact being very highly thought of but it continues to puzzle me as to why that is. I think my biggest problem with it was the way Picard behaved. His character was very odd and I'm not sure Patrick Stewart was at his best either.

Welcome to the human race...
I always see First Contact being very highly thought of but it continues to puzzle me as to why that is. I think my biggest problem with it was the way Picard behaved. His character was very odd and I'm not sure Patrick Stewart was at his best either.
I imagine it's because it actually does work well as a stand-alone adventure that has an action-oriented plot involving the Enterprise fighting the Borg, which is nice and all but doesn't especially suit the TNG crew (or Trek in general, if the Trekkie fanbase's opinions about the rebooted films are any indication). Also, I can at least understand why Picard would be acting odd - the Borg has long been established as his arch-enemy and to have to deal with them once again (especially when their threat was seemingly resolved towards the end of the TV series with the two-parter bridging seasons six and seven and especially when they managed to successfully alter the timeline and assimilate Earth) would only fuel his hatred for them to the point where he becomes dangerously obsessed with fighting them. To take one of the most rational characters in the Trek canon and have him grow more irrational in his quest to defeat the enemy at least makes sense and I thought he sold it very well.

Star Trek V - I love how Sybok's hair keeps changing length throughout the film! That's a Vulcan thing you know, especially if they begin to let themselves feel emotions - their hair starts changing length and style! It's like a mood ring!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
The uploader cut off the beginning of the video, so read this part first, then watch the video below:

Sheldon: What happened?
Leonard: Howard's at the Mars Rover lab. He says he's in trouble. Defcon 5.
Sheldon: Defcon 5? Well, there's no need to rush.
Leonard: What?
Sheldon: Defcon 5 means no danger. Defcon 1 is a crisis.
Leonard: How can 5 not be worse than 1?

Thanks for that, gbg.

I'm a fan of ST the Motion Picture.

I'm one of the few who has some issues with IV.

First, it's a time travel movie (I have issues with time travel). They broke every rule and moral code established in the past about interfering with time - it's a form of breaking the Prime Directive - and they even bring the Seventh Heaven lady back to the future.

Second, it seemed like it just deviated from the story line set up in II and III with a comedy interlude. I appreciated the comedy, but again, it was a departure from the previous films - like they injected a TV episode into a movie series. And the segues at the beginning and end that tied it back into the ongoing story line of the film series just seemed contrived in order to feature Nimoy's whales.

Third, it was such an obvious "cause" movie. I like whales as much as the next guy but this was just a blatant preachy vehicle for Nimoy's pet cause.

Fourth, it didn't really address the gorilla in the room - that Spock was resurrected. He was like a clone recreated by a planet that, under the same principles self-destructed (would the same happen to him?). He was a clone that aged an entire lifetime in the course of a few days. His spirit had been re-injected into him, but what about his brain? His mind? This was all a miracle beyond science that involved science that not even anyone in their time understood, yet all these questions are glossed over to tell a comedic time travel story about whales.

Fifth, most people consider the Enterprise almost like it's a member of the original crew - yet the ship didn't even appear in this movie (except for a very brief cameo at the end of a replacement ship that was re-named "Enterprise").

I probably would take V over I, though.
I agree. Star Trek I is worse than Star Trek V, but they're both bad movies.

Thanks for that, gbg.

I'm a fan of ST the Motion Picture.

I'm one of the few who has some issues with IV.
First, it's a time travel movie (I have issues with time travel). They broke every rule and moral code established in the past about interfering with time - it's a form of breaking the Prime Directive - and they even bring the Seventh Heaven lady back to the future.
Second, it seemed like it just deviated from the story line set up in II and III with a comedy interlude. I appreciated the comedy, but again, it was a departure from the previous films - like they injected a TV episode into a movie series.
Third, it was such an obvious "cause" movie. I like whales as much as the next guy but this was just a blatant preachy vehicle for Nimoy's pet cause.
Fourth, it didn't really address the gorilla in the room - that Spock was resurrected. He was like a clone recreated by a planet that, under the same principles self-destructed (would the same happen to him?). He was a clone that aged an entire lifetime in the course of a few days. His spirit had been re-injected into him, but what about his brain? His mind? This was all a miracle beyond science that involved science that not even anyone in their time understood, yet all these questions are glossed over to tell a comedic time travel story about whales.

I think you're reading too much into the movie. Would you rather that they got to the end of the movie and we watched Spock explode like the planet did?

It's just a movie. It's going to have flaws, but you have to overlook them for the good of the overall movie. And overall, Star Trek IV is easily one of the best Star Trek movies.

Keep in mind - this is years in retrospect. I liked the movie well enough when I first saw it but part of the reason I developed some of these feelings is this is the movie everyone always wants to watch - so I've probably seen it more than any other Trek movie. It's a matter of overexposure for me.

P.S. GBG, check out Rule's thread (I referenced you)... he didn't like Airplane! I'm expecting you to tear him a new one!

Keep in mind - this is years in retrospect. I liked the movie well enough when I first saw it but part of the reason I developed some of these feelings is this is the movie everyone always wants to watch - so I've probably seen it more than any other Trek movie. It's a matter of overexposure for me.
I usually watch ST II, ST III, and ST IV as a trilogy. It makes Star Trek III a better movie.

P.S. GBG, check out Rule's thread (I referenced you)... he didn't like Airplane! I'm expecting you to tear him a new one!
If you remember, I said that might happen. People who saw the movie years ago, like it more for the nostalgia feeling, but people who waited and see it now, just think it's a dumb movie with very few laughs.

I'll make sure to read his review before I sign off tonight, but it might be a while. I'm listening to the songs for the song tournament right now.

I usually watch ST II, ST III, and ST IV as a trilogy. It makes Star Trek III a better movie.

If you remember, I said that might happen. People who saw the movie years ago, like it more for the nostalgia feeling, but people who waited and see it now, just think it's a dumb movie with very few laughs.

I'll make sure to read his review before I sign off tonight, but it might be a while. I'm listening to the songs for the song tournament right now.
Yes you did.
I have to admit I haven't watched it in a while myself (so I wonder what I'd think of it now). I don't really need to watch it since I pretty much know all the jokes by heart.

Have fun with the songs.