BlueLion's Top 50

→ in
Tools    

39. Double Indemnity (1944)
Billy Wilder

"Yes, I killed him. I killed him for money - and a woman - and I didn't get the money and I didn't get the woman. Pretty, isn't it?"

A terrific film-noir that without a doubt has withstood the test of time, which I feel isn't something that can be said about a lot of films of this genre. Double Indemnity is full of noir trademarks but also has elements of a Hitchcockian thriller, which makes it highly exciting and atmospheric. It has great acting and dialog, outstanding photography, and it's expertly directed, as is to be expected from Billy Wilder. Double Indemnity is one of those films that far exceeded my expectations, and it's just a joy to watch.

Rear Window is my second favorite Hitchcock film and Double Indemnity is a fantastic film noir. Both are on my top 101 list.

Love Blue Velvet and Rear Window. I think I love Double Indemnity but it's been too long. I've been trying to get my wife to watch that other trilogy but no luck yet.

I got the chance to re watch Rear Window at the cinema the other day, and whilst there's still a few Hitchcock films I would place ahead of it, I thought it was a lot better than I remember, even though I already thought it was great. What striked me was just how funny it was, lots of laughs throughout the whole cinema, love Hitchcock's sense of humour.

Double Indemnity is great too

38. Barton Fink (1991)
Joel Coen, Ethan Coen

"I'm a writer, you monsters! I create! I create for a living! I am a creator!"

This dark and surreal film about a playwright struggling with writer's block in 1940s Hollywood is without a doubt one of the Coens' best films, and they have never made anything quite as weird and ambiguous as this film. It's darkly funny and it's filled with symbolism, and at the same time it's quite depressing and disturbing. I love the dark atmosphere that is present throughout, and the ending in particular is one of my favorite endings in any film.

37. Stalker (1979)
Andrei Tarkovsky

"When a man is just born, he is weak and flexible. When he dies, he is hard and insensitive. When a tree is growing, it's tender and pliant. But when it's dry and hard, it dies. Hardness and strength are death's companions. Pliancy and weakness are expressions of the freshness of being."

While I cannot say that it's one of those films that I truly loved immediately after I watched it, it is undoubtedly a true work of art. Considered by many to be Tarkovsky's greatest achievement, Stalker is unlike anything I've seen. It's a meditative journey with incredible visuals and a hypnotic atmosphere, which is what makes it so unique. It is not easy to explain in words what it all means, but it's such a complex and profound film about philosophy and faith, that after only one viewing, I'm sure I have barely scratched the surface.

This list has really gone up a level now. Good stuff, BL. I'm guessing this'll be my favourite part of your list.

Barton Fink and Stalker are great films. I'm not too surprised that you like the latter and its one that you have come to appreciate more since viewing, I think it's very similar thematically to The Wizard of Oz.

Let the night air cool you off
I really don't know why I haven't seen Barton Fink yet.

Stalker I have seen, and I was mesmerized by it the whole time. The imagery in The Zone in particular mesmerized me.