British and Irish Films 2011

Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Everyone's seen The King's Speech, but every year there are dozens of British and Irish films that are a little less high profile, so here is a thread to share them. I've put 2011 in the title, although some of these films are on imdb as 2010.

To kick off with, the three at the top of my 'to be watched' list right now:

(Trailers may contain violence and strong language so may not be work safe. Not that you should be watching movie trailers at work anyway...)

Submarine

imdb

Submarine is directed by Richard Ayoade, who you may know from directing music videos for the likes of Vampire Weekend, or from his role as Moss in The IT Crowd. It is an off-beat coming of age film which has been compared to Harold and Maude, and it stars Craig Roberts as a teenager trying to save his parents' marriage, with Sally Hawkins and Paddy Considine. This film has had a ton of good reviews.

Parked

imdb

Parked is the debut film from director Darragh Byrne and stars Colm Meaney as a man who returns to Ireland with nowhere to live but his car. He is befriended by a young drug addict played by Colin Morgan who helps him try to get his life back on track. This film has not had a general release either theatrically or on dvd but has played at several film festivals.

Attack the Block

imdb

Written and directed by Joe Cornish of 'Adam and Joe' fame, Attack the Block looks like a cross between Kidulthood and Close Encounters - a teenage gang in South London defend their block from alien invasion. Stars a bunch of young unknowns, who apparently helped Cornish out with modern teenage slang and dialogue, and also features Nick Frost and Jodie Whittaker.

Neds

imdb

Third film written and directed by Peter Mullan, Neds is the story of John, a bright boy whose chance to realise his potential may be lost as he is sucked into gang culture in 1970s Glasgow.

Brighton Rock

imdb

Film of Graham Greene's novel, starring Sam Riley as gangster Pinkie and Andrea Riseborough as impressionable waitress Rose. Also featuring Helen Mirren and John Hurt. It looks pretty, but the real question is why is another film of Brighton Rock necessary when the original was so good? That director Rowan Joffe was responsible for the screenplay of 28 Weeks Later does not do much for my faith in this film.

Never Let Me Go

imdb

Ok, this one's not so much under the radar due to it's more high profile stars Keira Knightley, Andrew Garfield and Carey Mulligan, but I thought it deserved a mention. It's a sci-fi film, adapted from the novel by Kazuo Ishiguro, but has been marketed as being a more straightforward period drama love triangle.

Island

imdb

Based on the novel by Jane Rogers, Island is the story of a young woman, abandoned at birth, who looks for her mother with revenge in mind, and heads to a remote island. Starring Nathalie Press (My Summer of Love), with Janet McTeer and Colin Morgan it is the first film directed by Elizabeth Mitchell and Brek Taylor.

Seen any of these? Have any upcoming or recent films to add?

Have you seen Neds, TN? I liked the sound of it, but there's something that puts me off. Brighton Rock isn't supposed to be that good, from what I hear. I'd like to see Never Let Me Go, but I don't feel strong enough to take it on atm.

I'd like to see Submarine.

Sadly, I've still not seen this, but I'm looking forward to seeing The Arbor one day.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1623008/

Did anyone see Another Year, the Mike Leigh film? It was nominated for an Oscar for Best Original Screenplay, as well as being BAFTA nominated for Best Supporting Actress and Best British Film.

I think Prestige liked The Disappearance of Alice Creed, but he has a Gemma Arterton fixation.

I think that The Special Relationship is worth a look, too. Michael Sheen's final outing as Tony Blair.

Two unconditionals on my watch list are Lynee Ramsay's (Ratcatcher, Morvern Callar) latest film: We Need to talk about Kevin.

And Kenny Loach's latest

As for "Another year", I'll scribble something in my reviews later.

Cheers, Dawg.

Thought this would fit here.

BBC Films promises 'eclectic' coming releases

BBC Films has promised to deliver a "diverse" and "eclectic" range of movies in the next 12 months.

A showreel of footage from completed projects was presented at this year's Cannes Film Festival, where the BBC Films-backed We Need To Talk About Kevin premiered last week.

Head of BBC Films Christine Langan said: "The bold ambition of Lynne Ramsay's We Need To Talk About Kevin, which has been passionately embraced by critics in Cannes, represents what we are trying to do across the entire slate at BBC Films - supporting brilliant talent and finding fresh, original, challenging and entertaining stories.

"The rich and diverse lineup of releases in the year to come represents BBC Films's determination to deliver a truly eclectic range of films that really excites British audiences."

She added that BBC Films is "very pleased and very excited" by the movies, which include Jane Eyre, My Week With Marilyn, The First Grader, Project Nim, Coriolanus, The Awakening, Perfect Sense and You Instead.

Other new projects recently added to BBC Films's slate include Rufus Norris's debut feature Broken, which is inspired by To Kill A Mocking Bird and will star Cillian Murphy.

An Education helmer Lone Scherfig works with the organisation again on Martin Sherman's adaptation of Rose Tremain's Music and Silence.

James Marsh (Man on Wire, Project Nim) directs Shadow Dancer (working title), a film about a young mother in the Irish Republican movement. The X and Y Factor is directed by Morgan Matthews and is about young Britons at the International mathematical Olympiad.

Mike Newell directs Great Expectations and Tom and Charlie Guard helm Swallows and Amazons. Bunny and the Bull director Paul King will direct Peter Pan In Scarlet,

BBC Films will also back comedy Sex Education, StreetDance 2 and Ol Parker's Now Is Good, which is due to start shooting in July.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/n...-releases.html

Have you seen Neds, TN? I liked the sound of it, but there's something that puts me off. Brighton Rock isn't supposed to be that good, from what I hear. I'd like to see Never Let Me Go, but I don't feel strong enough to take it on atm.
I haven't, something puts me off it too, possibly the fear that it will be like 'This Is England', which I didn't like at all. I've hardly got to see any new films recently, too busy with a new baby, dvds only!

Brighton Rock got a fairly positive response on Film 2011, but I'm sceptical of pointless remakes. Never Let Me Go does look a little bleak.

Did anyone see Another Year, the Mike Leigh film? It was nominated for an Oscar for Best Original Screenplay, as well as being BAFTA nominated for Best Supporting Actress and Best British Film.
I've not seen Another Year either, I didn't like Happy Go Lucky all that much and that put me off. But the cast looks good so I'll definitely get hold of it on dvd.

Gets a good review from 5live (won't embed here): http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00c6f17

Also, is there anything more pointless than yet another adaptation of Jane Eyre? It's one of my favourite books but there's been so many film and tv versions I can't bring myself to care about yet another one.

I might see ATB if i have spare time. Looks like a film that could do great in UK and bomb in other countries. Mike Leigh is a director that interests me. Tempted to see Another Year and Happy Go Lucky. Submarine is anoter i'd like to see.

Retreat

From imdb:
Kate and Martin escape from personal tragedy to an Island Retreat. Cut off from the outside world, their attempts to recover are shattered when a Man is washed ashore, with news of airborne killer disease that is sweeping through Europe.

Doesn't really look like my sort of thing, but it does have Thandie Newton in it so I might be persuaded to give it a try. Also Jamie Bell being about as far from Billy Elliot as you can get.

Tyrannosaur

imdb

Directed by Paddy Considine, starring Peter Mullan and Olivia Colman. Looks violent and intense (aren't Paddy Conisidine's films always?)

No trailer that I could find but there's a clip here: http://twitchfilm.com/news/2011/02/a...yrannosaur.php

The Inbetweeners Movie

imdb

Don't know too much about this one. I like the tv show, but half hour tv comedy shows turned into films don't have the best track record. I'm not sure their particular brand of witty true-to-life observations, gross-out humour and embarrassing moments will stretch over 90 minutes without becoming tedious.

Out in the UK on August 19th.

Watched Submarine last night, brilliant debut film and did indeed get a Harold and Maude feeling from it. Highly recommend Submarine.

Very nice topic. Tyrannosaur is one I've been waiting for.

Stay away from this one. If you need telling, of course.

Ironclad

If you want a medieval actioner, with lots of blood and violence, this should do you fine. Otherwise, stay away. In fact, even if you do just want an medieval actioner, I think it'll help greatly if you know nothing about the events.

I knew that I was going to have trouble with the very thing that drew me to it (the story is based on the siege of Rochester Castle) but even I was taken aback at the level if idiocy and historical inaccuracies. I think Braveheart may have a rival in the historical inaccuracies stakes.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
these are high quality videos

Coriolanus

imdb

Ralph Fiennes directs and stars in this new version of one of Shakespeare's less famous plays. Coriolanus is a banished soldier who joins up with his sworn enemy to march on Rome. This version is updated with modern dress and weapons.

Released in the UK 20 January 2012

Quite interested in this one.

I find modern retellings (or stagings, if you'd rather) of Shakespeare very hit and miss. The inclusion of Ralph Fiennes is enough for me to worry about this. It's not a write off, but I won't exactly be looking forward to it.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
The Inbetweeners Movie

imdb

Don't know too much about this one. I like the tv show, but half hour tv comedy shows turned into films don't have the best track record. I'm not sure their particular brand of witty true-to-life observations, gross-out humour and embarrassing moments will stretch over 90 minutes without becoming tedious.

Out in the UK on August 19th.

I love this show, we just started the 2nd season on BBCA, not sure where you are at with the show. I don't know about a movie, sounds like making a British American Pie movie, and I thought American Pie sucked, but I'd be interested in giving it a shot and just seeing what becomes of it.

Ok, I've been AWOL from Movie forums for a while, but I'm back with four words:

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

imdb

Gary Oldman plays George Smiley, brought out of retirement to hunt down a mole at the top of MI6 during the Cold War. Directed by Tomas Alfredson (Let the Right One In). Also stars John Hurt, Colin Firth, Mark Strong, Benedict Cumberbatch, Ciaran Hinds, Tom Hardy.

It's been and gone at UK cinemas, but has a release date of Dec 9th in the US.

No spoilers in this thread but personally I thought this was the best film I've seen in a long time.

Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights

Wuthering Heights got my attention when I found out it was directed by Andrea Arnold (who directed Fish Tank and Red Road). It appears to be far from a faithful adaptation of the book, focusing on the dark, violent side of things. And actually featuring young actors as young Cathy and Heathcliff, which may interest anyone fed up with glossy period pieces with 30 year olds rolling around on the moors (which is hardly faithful to the source novel either). Looks to be very atmospheric.

Jane Eyre I have seen, and I quite liked, despite complaining before that it seemed pointless. It does have its problems, but it's worth a try. Again, it's quite intense and gothic, it looks fantastic and I like the way they used accents in the film. Stars Mia Wasikowska, Michael Fassbender, Judi Dench and Jamie Bell.

This looks really interesting:

Albert Nobbs

imdb summary: Glenn Close plays a woman passing as a man in order to work and survive in 19th century Ireland. Some thirty years after donning men's clothing, she finds herself trapped in a prison of her own making. Also stars Mia Wasikowska.

Seems to have a US release date of January 27th.