Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

→ in
Tools    

My thoughts:

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

The most biting issue regarding this film is it is Indiana Jones and with this comes expectations. Indy 4 is a give and take film. In any other context, Harrison Ford would not pass as an action hero any more, at least to the extent he is portrayed here. This is the only 'give' aspect its predecessors offer, the chance to see a much loved screen icon around again. However, the 'take' is far more substantial, and like many reviews the negatives are easier to list but unlike many reviews that remain firmly subjective, cutting slack plainly because it is Indy, i will attempt to be more objective. I have recently watched the originals so don't think my memories will be merely reminiscing either

If the film wasn't set in the established world if Indy and with a different hero, it probably would have been a fine movie but the dichotomy of context or content undermines the film at almost every step. The opening shot is CGI, now i know it's nearly unavoidable nowadays for a Hollywood film not to use it but here it seems to be done for the sake of it, or for sheer spectacle. The two main examples are the nuclear explosions and the finale. The latter i'll save spoiling, as for the former at a basic level you can argue it sets the era but considering the installation testing it had been wiped out, i'm not sure how they even went ahead with it. Apart from the odd extravagant setting, where does this happen in the originals? It seemed like a Roland Emmerich set piece. Next, what i loved about the originals was their ability to immerse the viewer into the location, blue-screens are completely alienating.

I'm surprised there aren't more critics of the action. Most comments are on the plausibility, bar the one silliness in Temple of Doom (and i figured the three waterfalls were an allusion to this), in most of the originals action pieces, it could be believed that someone could do that. And in most of them someone does do them, the tightly choreographed action and stunt scenes were far more enthralling in the originals then "let's do it all in CGI". Thus Indy 4 lacks the skilled directing craft to create enthralling moments were there is actual tension and realism about the character and the beating they're taking. I do not want to see a computer animated Shia Lebouf rope swing through the jungle with an army of CGI monkeys. Not only is that not Indiana Jones, it's the polar opposite. A lot of it belonged in a cartoon.

Possibly the biggest gripe i've noticed is the alien plotline. For clarity, i've no problem with aliens or skepticism about them appearing in films. Their inclusion goes back to earlier, give and take. We are given a Crystal Skull which is explicitly flaunted visually through out the story, removing any enigma about the artifacts plus it is a bit ridiculous, i couldn't get AvP out my head where she uses the alien skull as a shield. Anyway, we're given the narrative marker of the skull and then it takes us completely out the diegetic world created around Indiana Jones. There's not one hint towards extra-terrestrial life in any of the films. Making a firmly established genre of traditional adventure into a science-fiction yarn is pretty cheeky. But like i said earlier, it would have been fine in any other film but with Indy it doesn't belong. I know most people counteract this criticism with The Ark being supernatural thus also a strain on believability but 'The Ark' was kept as an enigma through the film and in the climax when it was opened it, there had to be something decent as the pay-off. But furthermore, Indy's eyes are closed so it doesn't necessarily have to happened like that. The odd ghost and religious artifacts are what we are told is natural in Indy's world. I wouldn't have minded exploring the mythos they took, but if they'd left it ambiguous and more on suggestion, it would have been far more successful and less like Close Encounters.

Maybe this is the standard starting point for reviews but it seemed so irrelevant i didn't think it worth addressing the story first. The whole script is heavy handed, from explaining Brody and Connery to recycling plot devices from the Last Crusade and then failing to expand them. The clues and actual 'adventure' where far too easy, more over they were excuses for set pieces. Take finding the the clue under the waterfall, there's no indication how they get all the way up there or the final clue in the temple Ox couldn't get being a pretty dull answer. I never once felt any sense of discovery, as a viewer or on Indy's behalf. I would rather call the characters under-written opposed to un-developed. Winstone, for example, i thought was fine but the way characters reacted around him wasn't natural nor was his fate. Blanchett's villain was tame and failed to make a worth adversary for Indy when she should have been either ruthless or a reflection of a different Indy. It was by the time Mutt and Indy had the chase around the city i'd settled with the older Indy being action orientated, however couldn't help noticing how slack his trousers were, looked like proper Grandad style.

The film was thoroughly flawed but that's from a subjective viewpoint of what Indy was and what Spielberg and Lucas have done now. Except for the lovingly created 50s and the admittedly brilliant Mutt (i've liked Shia since Even Stevens) i fail to see this as a continuation of the series. Personally, it seemed like Lucas using CGI wherever possible and Spielberg getting bogged down in his penchant for extra-terrestrial. It's not an inherently 'bad' film but it is flawed in a lot of respects and considering what it could, and should have been- a classic stunt orientating adventure, it fails to deliver.

Thanks for the review Pyro, I disagree with a lot of what you just wrote though. In reading your review I think you fell prey to your own logic a bit.

You said:

The most biting issue regarding this film is it is Indiana Jones and with this comes expectations.
And then you went on not 2 sentences later and began to list your expectations of the movie, you may disagree and certainly that is your right but that's just how you came across to me.

Anyway, gohansrage: I can see you are just one of those folks that is going to hate the movie no matter what and in turn try to start some crusade about the evils of guys named Spielberg and Lucas. And that's fine you're not the first. So I'll just leave you to your misery. I'm sorry you couldn't get enjoyment from it. I did and quite a few others did too.

I find the idea that Spielberg, Lucas, and Ford did this "for the money" a little dubious. They're all filthy rich. That is not to say that filthy rich people wanting to be richer still is unheard of, but to such people their reputation is infinitely more valuable than any proceeds they might reap from this, as it pays dividends more often and over a longer period of time. So, you might say they did a poor job, or have lost passion, etc...but the idea that it was a cash grab is just flat-out silly.

Also, I find the claim that there was "little exposition" kind of amusing, if only because most of the reviews I've read claim the film has far too much (which I agree with).

This is not say I don't have plenty of qualms with the film. I love the original films, grew up with them, and part of me was surely sad to see the new version fail to live up to their standards. But the film was still wildly entertaining, and I think the important things -- Ford's performance, and the almost Wile E. Coyote feeling of "what could possibly happen next?" -- were completely in tact.

One thing I will say, and I hope Yoda doesn't neg rep me for this
Why would I neg rep you for that?

I find the idea that Spielberg, Lucas, and Ford did this "for the money" a little dubious. They're all filthy rich. That is not to say that filthy rich people wanting to be richer still is unheard of, but to such people their reputation is infinitely more valuable than any proceeds they might reap from this, as it pays dividends more often and over a longer period of time. So, you might say they did a poor job, or have lost passion, etc...but the idea that it was a cash grab is just flat-out silly.
Right, and it seems in some of these instances it becomes more of a "us vs. the machine" type of mentality. I ran into a guy on another board that hated Spielberg... hated him! And when I asked him why he told me it (Spielberg) wasn't about making "good" movies all he wanted to do was "sell out" and make money. After I got done laughing I went on to list several of his excellent films and asked again. So what's the matter with someone who not only makes pretty damn good movies but also makes truck loads of cash? Answer: "Yeah, well I just think he's over rated." So, what do you say to something like that?

At that point I lost interest though, so I don't know if he ever changed his mind.

Right, and it seems in some of these instances it becomes more of a "us vs. the machine" type of mentality. I ran into a guy on another board that hated Spielberg... hated him! And when I asked him why he told me it (Spielberg) wasn't about making "good" movies all he wanted to do was "sell out" and make money. After I got done laughing I went on to list several of his excellent films and asked again. So what's the matter with someone who not only makes pretty damn good movies but also makes truck loads of cash?
I agree. If there's one thing that consistently impresses me about Spielberg, it's his ability to make serious, moving films, as well as summer romps. I don't worship the ground he walks on or anything, but I always feel confident going into his films that I'm going to see something new and interesting. I'm sure he'll have another misstep along the way at some point, but his ratio of good (or even great) films to bad is pretty spectacular.

Answer: "Yeah, well I just think he's over rated." So, what do you say to something like that?
You say "goodbye."

There's really no arguing with someone taking that tack. Some people just dislike popular things, or feel the need to go against the grain, whatever the grain may be. That's really the only way people can find themselves in untenable situations, like arguing that Spielberg isn't a great director.

I'd take solance in the fact that referring to something or someone as "overrated" is usually the last gasp in a defeated argument. It's conveniently unquantifiable, and by its very definition concedes an underlying quality. When you can't deny that something is good, all that's left is to deny that the thing is as good as some people think.

Thanks for the review Pyro, I disagree with a lot of what you just wrote though. In reading your review I think you fell prey to your own logic a bit.

And then you went on not 2 sentences later and began to list your expectations of the movie, you may disagree and certainly that is your right but that's just how you came across to me.
Yeah, i based what i wrote around my expectations. Did that sentence lead you think i was going to avoid doing so? That wasn't my intention. Did realise afterwards, however, how a lot of what i wrote was more subjective than i expected.

I am Jack's sense of overused quote
I can see you are just one of those folks that is going to hate the movie no matter what and in turn try to start some crusade about the evils of guys named Spielberg and Lucas. And that's fine you're not the first. So I'll just leave you to your misery. I'm sorry you couldn't get enjoyment from it. I did and quite a few others did too.
That's unfair. I like Spielberg. I consider him one of the best directors probably ever. However, that doesn't change the fact this movie stunk and felt like an excuse to have a bajillion dollars in box office receipts (not to major 800 bajillion dollars in merchandising). I do feel you are cutting Spielberg and Indy a break for the many good times you have had with them.

I know you never claimed this, but I would never say Spielberg is overrated. If anything, the venom some people have for him makes him underrated.

And Yoda, just because someone is filthy rich does not mean they wouldn't do something just for the money.

I think PyroTramp's review pretty much summed up how I felt about the movie, but for whatever reason it makes me angrier than it makes him. (I think this comes from the idolatry with which I held the first three films.)

That's unfair. I like Spielberg. I consider him one of the best directors probably ever. However, that doesn't change the fact this movie stunk and felt like an excuse to have a bajillion dollars in box office receipts (not to major 800 bajillion dollars in merchandising). I do feel you are cutting Spielberg and Indy a break for the many good times you have had with them.
It may be unfair and we might as well just agree to disagree right now and be finished with this little squabble, but before we do I'd like to say this, when your first post in a thread like this is mostly just shots at the director and producer's character then what did you expect? Anyway, you are probably right about your last point there, but why can't I cut him some slack? To me this was an enjoyable movie in the first place. In the second place there has been a 19 year gap between these films so I think it's inevitable that even the most dedicated fans will find faults with it. But to simply call it trash is a little over the top to me.

(I think this comes from the idolatry with which I held the first three films.)
And I totally understand what you mean. How long has it been since you've seen the first three movies? I wonder if they would still be as good to you now as they were say, ten years ago. I still hold them on a pretty lofty pedestal too but I didn't think they were the best ever either.

when your first post in a thread like this is mostly just shots at the director and producer's character then what did you expect?
I never took a shot at anyone's character unless you consider the "Quest for More Money" line an assault on Spielberg's character. I did say Lucas has been destroying his own franchises since 1999, but I stand by that.

Anyway, you are probably right about your last point there, but why can't I cut him some slack? To me this was an enjoyable movie in the first place. In the second place there has been a 19 year gap between these films so I think it's inevitable that even the most dedicated fans will find faults with it. But to simply call it trash is a little over the top to me.
That's your opinion, so
we might as well just agree to disagree

And I totally understand what you mean. How long has it been since you've seen the first three movies? I wonder if they would still be as good to you now as they were say, ten years ago. I still hold them on a pretty lofty pedestal too but I didn't think they were the best ever either.
I rewatched Raiders of the Lost Ark before seeing Crystal Skull. It was all I remembered it to be. However, today when I got home from work I watched Temple of Doom and found it pretty unwatchable. So my disappointment in Skull has lessened. Good point there.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Here is my take.

Indiana Jones and The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull (Steven Spielberg)

"Crystal Skull Suffers From The Star Wars Syndrome."

When Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade came to theaters in 1989 I was only 2 years old. That is the same age as newcomer Shia LaBeouf and had never seen Indiana Jones up on the big screen. In fact, as a kid my favourite one out of the three was Temple of Doom. As I grew older and appreciated the art of film-making more, I found myself leaning more towards Raiders of the Lost Ark, with Last Crusade in a close second. Flash forward to 2008 and Indiana Jones is back, only much older. I re-watched the original three, as I'm sure almost everyone did, to get myself in the mood for the old whip slinger. The main problem with Crystal Skull is it had to please fans after 19 years of build up. So it was bound to fail (in one way or another). In that light, it suffers from the "Star Wars Syndrome." Upon watching Crystal Skull you have to immediately compare it to the other films. In doing that, even before seeing the movie you knew it wasn't going to be better then Raiders and those who though it would be would leave disappointed. Well, I didn't think it would be better and yet I can't help but feel disappointed in the final product of the film. While it does have the essentials to make an Indiana Jones film, there are too many things that they seem to have skipped in order to make an actual great film. Thus we have to settle for something that is simply good, which is fine, but not when you are Indiana Jones.

Indiana Jones has crossed his way into the new age of film and George Lucas seems to have brought the heavy duty CGI with him. This has many pros and cons. While the CGI can create elaborate and exciting action sequences, it can't help but feel fake. The car chase through the jungle is exhilarating and ranks up with the some of the best action sequences in the series, but it is ruined with ridiculous scenes of sword play and Tarzan swinging, both from the same character. A character who seems to only have been added to draw a younger crowd and possibly pass the torch on.

Therein lies a problem with the script, it's characters. Allen is given absolutely nothing to do but bat her eyes at Ford. In Raiders she was a tough broad, here she has nothing. Winstone plays Mac, a good/bad guy who adds nothing to the plot whatsoever. Cate Blanchett seems to be having some fun in her role, yet her character is no where as evil or memorable as previous 'villains' in the series. It is mentioned she has psychic powers, yet that aspect is never explored. LaBeouf, I have always been a fan of. He has comedic talent, from his Disney days and can handle action films, as evident with Last years "Transformers". Ford of course still has his Indy chops, he actually looks like he is having fun again. It seemed that age got the best of Ford in the recent years, but here he engages more. Then we have hurt we seems to be there as an excuse to get characters to where they need to go.

In the Indy series there has always been a suspension of disbelief. The Holy Grail, Ark of the Covenant and Sacred Stones don't really seem plausible. Yet we took it at face value and since all of those artifacts were based on our history it had a certain bit of grounded reality to them. Crystal Skull throws all of that out the window and deals with aliens. Sacrificial cults and ancient religion people can understand, but once aliens from the, and I'm quoting a line in the film, "the spaces between spaces" nothing seems plausible. This is the bit of the film where it seems to falls of the horse. Seeing Indy find treasures of the past is what the series was all about, with this film he seems to find things from the future. It doesn't jive very well with me. Spielberg needs to get off his alien fix in his films.

It also seems like Spielberg is slacking off, as the was very evident ADR with Ford's lines. This type of stuff could easily be fixed, with cutaways, yet Spielberg for some reasons focuses on the character when this is used and it stands out like a sore thumb. The overuse of CGI doesn't feel like an Indy film either, more along the lines of a National Treasure or Laura Croft. Speaking of National Treasure, it seems like Indy is taking notes from Ben Gates. There are clues left for him throughout the film, but none of them reach the level of National Treasure or even The DaVinci Code. Now code breaking wasn't a really big thing for Indy, he dabbles a bit, but here it seems more important. Yet it is treated as a mere side road. Which is essentially fine with me, but the make it seem bigger then it is, and instead of breaking the codes later on they just listen to the old crazy guy who tells them exactly what they need to know.

Indy is indeed back and the adventure and fun is there. That is what it is really all about. The fun and magic of the movies, right? If you can believe that three people can jump out of an airplane on a yellow raft and survive the fall into some rapids, then I guess you can believe a car driving over a cliff falling safely on top a tree top. Which safely places them into the water, then swings back and hits the bad guys. Convenient right? I guess the thrill and adventure of Indiana isn't the same, since so many films since the original three have ripped it off left right and centre. It seems that this films is doing the same, which is odd.

Suspect's Reviews

And Yoda, just because someone is filthy rich does not mean they wouldn't do something just for the money.
Oh, I know. I preemptively addressed this point in my post:

I suppose, technically speaking, you could theorize that they calculated the money would be worthwhile even if it adversely effected their reputations. At that point, though, we'd be in engaging in rampant speculation, which isn't enough to make that kind of accusation.

The think the far simpler, more elegant explanation is that they thought it would be fun to make, and that audiences would like it. And so far, both appear to be true. The fact that it's a step down from previous installments was probably a given. I don't think that means it shouldn't exist, however, or that their motives are in any way suspect.

I was thinking earlier, in the originals we really aren't called to suspend our disbelief until the climax of each films (Raiders and Crusade more so) but they call for it as soon as we see the skull in Kingdom.

I dunno. A lot of people have mentioned the inflatable-raft fall which comes relatively early in Temple of Doom as an example of an implausability, and I'd certainly agree. But in a general sense, I'd agree with you, as well, in that the supernatural comes earlier and more often in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

I dunno. A lot of people have mentioned the inflatable-raft fall which comes relatively early in Temple of Doom as an example of an implausability, and I'd certainly agree. But in a general sense, I'd agree with you, as well, in that the supernatural comes earlier and more often in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.
Oh yeah, undoubtedly that bit in Temple requires a fair amount but i was leaning towards the artifacts themselves, since most people i talk to say "you can accept religious arks and ghosts but not aliens?".

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Indiana Jones series is an homage to the old serials where most everything was incredible because the hero had to escape from a deadly situation about every 10-20 minutes. They often involved monsters, impossibly unrealistic situations, and yes, aliens (Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon).

The think the far simpler, more elegant explanation is that they thought it would be fun to make, and that audiences would like it. And so far, both appear to be true. The fact that it's a step down from previous installments was probably a given. I don't think that means it shouldn't exist, however, or that their motives are in any way suspect.
I don't think anyone ever sets out to make a bad movie--even Ed Wood thought he was doing good work! But too often a producer and director discover that they just can't catch the old lightning in a new bottle. Too many things change between the last film and the newest sequel, and it just doesn't turn out as well as you had hoped. The hard core fans are going to like it regardless, but are there enough of them to make the payoff they were hoping for?

Read an interesting article in the Wall Street Journal the other day how outside financing of films is reducing the studios' profits. For instance, Marvel Comics used to "rent out" the rights to their characters at a flat fee, but now it's financing the films themselves and going through the film companies for distribution and such. As a result, the article said, an film company that might have made a bundle on a film if it had financed it themselves end up clearing a quarter of that on three films--combined! Seems like I read somewhere that the cast of the latest Raiders passed up salaries for big shares of the profit, which is really going to cut into the studio's take. Obtaining outside financing and trading profit shares for salaries can reduce a studio's financial risk, but it also reduces its profit, too.

Allen is given absolutely nothing to do but bat her eyes at Ford. In Raiders she was a tough broad, here she has nothing. Winstone plays Mac, a good/bad guy who adds nothing to the plot whatsoever. Cate Blanchett seems to be having some fun in her role, yet her character is no where as evil or memorable as previous 'villains' in the series.
Maybe because Allen is a Mommy now. Wasn't the young guy in this latest film fathered by Indy? I understand that the next film will have him taking over dad's whip and fedora and Indy more in the background as the proud papa.

As for your comments about Spielberg, I read one reviewer who claimed Spielberg had dumped all of his previous subjects into this film--treasure, space ships, aliens, mind reading, etc--and cluttered up the story.

I suppose, technically speaking, you could theorize that they calculated the money would be worthwhile even if it adversely effected their reputations. At that point, though, we'd be in engaging in rampant speculation, which isn't enough to make that kind of accusation.
Mostly I was kidding with that comment by the way. It was from Spaceballs.