Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

→ in
Tools    

Lets put a smile on that block
Well, the time has come. The moment in the movie calendar that everyone has been waiting for. Literally, everyone.

I managed to get into a preview screening last night, and I don’t think I have ever seen so much buzz and excitement surrounding one film. People were rushing up to me asking how I got tickets and others were walking past dropping all of the typically British standards of NOT talking to strangers and quite happily telling me they were so excited they could wet their pants. Which I was thoroughly pleased to hear. As for the film, I won’t be doing a big ol’ review like most of you guys here because frankly I haven’t got the time and most of you will no doubt roll one out anyway, but here’s my take on what I saw last night.

From the very beginning it is evident that the rumours about Lucas and Spielberg sticking to the old school style of the previous films are true, so fans will be pleased from the opening shot. (I was sitting there with a big fat smile on my face as soon as the lights went down) Straight away you’re thrown into the action like the previous three films, but shortly through the first half of the film, they make it clear that you are dealing with a new Indiana Jones. A new war is being fought, with new enemies and new weapons, and with a MASSIVE action sequence in the first half that will either leave you gobsmacked or shaking your heads, it’s a bold statement to let you know the formula for this film is going to be quite different from its predecessors. From this point onwards the story gets quite silly, and it becomes clear that this is a film most certainly made for the fans and not directed at an audience unfamiliar with the franchise. There are nods to missing characters, hidden artefacts from the past films and old relationships rekindled with lighthearted bickering. Again you will either greet these moments with happy nostalgia, or this manipulation will leave you feeling like it’s a bit of a cop out. By the end of the film the story has taken a radical twist, entirely different from the format of the previous films and the sillyness meter goes into overload. Saying this though, I still found it incredibly enjoyable.
When the first action sequence kicks in, and John Williams superb score kicks off, all my worries about the film slipped away and I was just happy to see Indie back on the screen. And I think it’s this fact that will mean you will either love or loath this new addition. If you go into this expecting a film on par with Raiders and Crusade then you will be disappointed. Those films were made for a different audience, twenty odd years ago, and this new addition is simply for the fans craving a whole big pile of Indie action. The light hearted banter, historical references and character development is pushed aside for pure thrills. And if you are willing to let yourself get caught up in the nostalgia and excitement of seeing an old school Hollywood character on the screen cracking his whip, then you will most certainly not be disappointed. There were times during the beginning of the film, when I was happily thinking it was nice to see an old school movie released again, made by the pro’s who bought me so many fond memories watching the original trilogy as a child. If I was to summarise the film on some sort of line graph of enjoyment, I would say the film starts off high, sloping down in a steady, yet slight curve that remains constant until towards the end, when it descends into the area of ‘OK’. So basically, Amazing start, great middle, good finale, OK ending.

Ford is again brilliant at playing an older, more sedate Jones. At first sight I thought he looked ravaged, but as soon as he smiles and he starts jumping around, all the fears of him being too old for the role are lost. Cate Blanchett is SUPERB as the evil villain. From her odd haircut, to her pale large eyes and her strange sword fighting she is excellent from the start. When she reveals to Indie the Soviet Unions reasons behind why they need the crystal skull, the speech will give you goosebumps. Excellent hints at Invasion of the bodysnatchers style paranoia. Lebouf is surprisingly great as Indies sidekick, and to some of my friends horror, he ends up stealing the show on the action stakes, especially for the latter half of the film, leaving Indie to take a back seat (literally). Karen Allen’s Marion and Ray Winstone’s Mac are a bit of a pointless addition to the film. They serve their purpose but mostly remain obsolete for a lot of it. As for the rest, the cinematography is superb once again, with some truly amazing shots of both Indie and Blanchett’s Spalko. And the score again is genius.

Things I liked? Someones face melts again, this seems to be a recurring theme through the franchise and im glad it wasn’t dropped for the new film.

Things I didn’t like? You know when Indie drops his hat just as a trap door is closing or something like that? Well this seems to happen in almost every single scene throughout the new film. He should get the thing stapled to his head.

The best way to sum it up? Well what ive been saying to my friends is, you know the bit in Temple of Doom when they jump out of the plane and use the rubber dingy to sail to the ground? Well that bit’s stupid right? And you know it could never happen, but still find it really enjoyable? That’s pretty much the entirety of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

(Thanks Chris )

Nice job Blibby! I can't wait to see it... expect I'll have to though... wait that is.

Lost in never never land
That really wets my appetite for the film, good review.
I wish, I wish he'd go away."
-From Identity

Agree with some of your review, though I'll pick those nits a little later. For now, here's my review of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull:

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

For the first time in my life, I was holding a movie ticket with the words "Indiana Jones" on it. Though I had come to love the first three installments, I was too young to have ever seen them on the big screen. The number of series' for which even buying the ticket feeds into the experience can be counted on one hand, but the Indiana Jones series is surely among them.

That the film will be exciting and funny is a given, as is the assumption that it will inevitably fall a bit short of meeting its lofty expectations. What everyone wants to know is: does this "feel" like a real Indiana Jones movie? The answer is a slightly qualified "yes."

Both released and set 19 years after Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull pushes the series to new absurd heights. Indy's exploits have always been a little on the absurd side, of course, a fact which has contributed heavily to their charm. But if the previous films pushed the envelope of our incredulity, this one vaporizes it.

The less of the actual plot I reveal, the better. It should be sufficient to say that Indy is once again being compelled by unsavory characters in wartime to recover a supernatural artifact which they hope to misuse for personal gain. This time, the unsavory characters are the Russians and the artifact is the titular Crystal Skull. I will leave the skull's origin and powers to the viewer to discover, but its mere appearance gives a good deal away long before some of the characters have figured things out, though even the moment of their revelation is somewhat murky.

Tonally, Crystal Skull most resembles Temple of Doom. Both play down the epic feel and sense of revelation in the other two installments in favor of an emphasis on action and humor. There is still a degree to which Crystal Skull tries to approach the same level of plot intricacy of Raiders, but it largely falls flat. There are a number of obscure riddles involving symbols and wordplay that, at the risk of sounding blasphemous, feel like poorer versions of the clues in the National Treasure films. The approach is a fundamental miscalculation; audiences may be willing to suspend their disbelief when it comes to the power of ancient objects, but the clues still have to make sense (and be interesting).

These clues come largely from Professor Oxley (John Hurt), a colleague of Indy's who's disappeared. He seems to know all of the skull's secrets, but his knowledge has driven him mad. His inclusion is both unnecessary and exceedingly convenient, as he spends the majority of the film following the heroes around dispensing obfuscated hints about what lies ahead. Screenwriter David Koepp is said to have quilted the plot together from a number of other potential Indy screenplays over the years, and his stitches show a bit too often.

These complaints aside, Crystal Skull has a knack for getting the important things right. Director Steven Spielberg (who has a real future in Hollywood) said during production that he was foregoing CGI when possible in favor of matte paintings and more traditional stunt work. It would seem he ended up splitting the difference; a number of the film's backgrounds have that ultra bright super-sheen that became one of the hallmarks of George Lucas' Star Wars prequels. At the same time, the action sequences are more believable and exhilarating than almost anything we've seen in years. They are every bit as exciting and inventive as the sequences in their predecessors, and are the one aspect of the movie that feels completely seamless with the first films.

The dialogue is a mixed bag. Some of it is entirely pedestrian and lacks the bite and wit we've come to expect from the series. But just as much has that authentic Indiana Jones feel to it, and the film preserves the previous movies' wonderful sense of irony.

The supporting performances are good (Cate Blanchett stands out as the bizarre, multi-talented Irina Spalko), but in a film like this, the lead is all that really matters. Harrison Ford can still wear the hat and whip, and still has that sly Indy grin that says "I'm going to get out of this on sheer nerve, and there's nothing you can do to stop me." There are a few points at which his give-and-take is a little slower than it's been in the past, but he's still Indy, and in the end, that's all most of us need.

The rest of the supporting cast is adequate. Karen Allen returns, as does her chemistry with Ford. Shia LaBeouf plays her son Mutt, and while he fits comfortably into the role of sidekick most of the time, he shows he's capable of taking things into his own hands when need be.

LaBeouf's inclusion has many thinking (and Lucas openly suggesting) that he may be used as a device to continue the series now that Ford is likely nearing his end as an action star. Crystal Skull seems aware of this, and gives the fans a lovely moment near the end to let them know that, no matter what happens from here on out, there's only one Indy.

For all the analysis of the plot, performances, and effects, only two things really matter when judging Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull: it is wildly entertaining, and it gives off the feeling you get when you see an old friend after a prolonged absence. They may have changed a little, and they're never quite the way you remember them, but you love them all the same, and seeing them again is cause for celebration.

By the way; when I first looked my theater up, it had a 12:01 showing listed. When I went to get the tickets yesterday afternoon, they had a 12:01 and a 12:02. When I left my seat in the theater at around 11:30 to get some popcorn, they'd added a 12:03, 12:04, 12:05, and a 12:06.

So, yeah...should be a pretty strong opening.

Oh, and my worries of being a dork by wearing a replica Indy hat abated when I saw a dozen other people doing the same, at least three of whom had whips, too.

I cant wait to be able to go and see this movie. As soon as my exams are done me family and i will visit this.
Ever since i was a little kid i watched the Indy movies, my mum and dad lived in the Harrison Ford & Indiana Jones age and are absolutely in love with this movie. As a picture perfect daughter, so am i

Your review makes my mouth water!

And do check my "art": Deviant

It was a tad disappointing, but since I had been prepared for major disappointment the fact that it was only a medium-sized disappointment was like a win.

IfyouknowwhatImean?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

You ready? You look ready.
It was a tad disappointing, but since I had been prepared for major disappointment the fact that it was only a medium-sized disappointment was like a win.

IfyouknowwhatImean?
So then, what exactly would you rate it?

And yea, Iknowexactlywhatchamean.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I liked the first half or so, I thought they managed to capture much of the tone of the first films there, but the second half is so much CGI and such preposterous silly Sci-Fi nonsense that, although still enjoyable, is definitely a let-down for this Indiana Jones fan.

And I know that in the world of movie physics the waterfalls are no more improbable than the inflatable raft from the airplane in Temple of Doom, but when you have to start comparing this installment with the silliest moment from the weakest of the first films, that should tell you where you are.

Except for the opening of the Ark in the first movie, the heart sacrifice in the second and the couple examples of the Grail's power at the end of Crusade, the series is actually rooted in some tangible reality - at least an adventure movie reality with a dash of the supernatural. The second half of Crystal Skull gets so silly so quickly (not to mention, say, the fridge in Nevada), it really turned me off as a fan of the series.

I love Cate Blanchett, but she's got a very stock type to play, underdeveloped at that, and is stuck with all the worst dialogue and exposition, poor girl. Shia LaBeouf, despite the Wild One entrance, does fine, no problems as far as I'm concerned. It's GREAT to see Karen Allen again, though she doesn't appear until about the half-way mark, and of course Harrison is effortless as Indy. Even with the Kirby-era comic book finale done almost entirely with CGI, it's definitely watchable and has its moments. But I just wish it had more character stuff and was more firmly "reality" based (at least as much reality as in Raiders of the Lost Ark).

It's not a Phantom Menace level of travesty, but it's not the movie I'd been dreaming about for the past nineteen years, either.

GRADE: C+

Oh, and my worries of being a dork by wearing a replica Indy hat abated when I saw a dozen other people doing the same, at least three of whom had whips, too.
Dammit, why didn't I go last night!

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Temple of Doom probably being my favorite (the first being my least favorite).
That's the exact opposite of what other people say

There are those who call me...Tim.
I really can't be bothered to go into detail now (I'm tired and gonna go to sleep in a little bit), but I was pretty disappointed with this film.

Essentially I agree with what Holden says about the first half of the film, but the second half was far too ridiculous and, if I'm honest, not all that fun. Perhaps it's the preposterous ending that's tarnished my memory somewhat of the rest of the film (there's a chase sequence through the jungle that is a lot of fun, for example, but is still spoiled by what I suspect was some George Lucas silliness).

Anyway, might see it again using my Cineworld Unlimited card ( ), to see if I can't force myself to look past the bad things and appreciate what was good.

I'm tired and I'm rambling...goodnight.

WARNING: "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" spoilers below
Dont wanna go into detail right now but i loved the film. Its probably my favourite Indy film aside from Last Crusade. I loved the story, especially involving aliens and such!

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I'm not sure if Holds interprets his letter grades the same way I do. I would say his B- is
, as it is for me. I'm leaning now towards giving The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull a B+, although that translates here to
. At least, I'm trying to rationalize it. I must say I was underwhelmed in general. I definitely smiled and enjoyed moments, but there were only a couple times I laughed out loud (the atomic test site and the snake). However, there were so many good action scenes and homages to other bits of Spielberg's career (plus me being me) that I found it quite entertaining. The basic flaw is the story itself. Although I really have no problems with this film's reliance on an abundance of sci-fi, I wasn't especially enamored by how it played out. My cynical side says the movie seems to exist to make sure that another Henry Jones will be around to carry on the franchise if Lucas decides he needs more money.

Even so, I still enjoyed the golden oldies on the soundtrack, Area 51, "Howdy Doody", the motorcycle chase, finding the Crystal Skull (even if it was too easy), going into the Amazon, the chase scene along the cliffs, the waterfalls, the "Daddy-O", and the actual ending of the film was pretty perfect. It was the elaborate payoff scene with skulls and the "City of Gold" which was too long and laborious and started to remind me of the finale of National Treasure: Book of Secrets (I give that
so sue me) which tempered the enthusiasm which was building, albeit in a low-key manner, toward some kind of payoff. The payoff to me is the final scene, which lasts about 10% as long as the Chariots of the Gods-inspired penultimate scene (and I like Chariots of the Gods). Instead of thinking too much about that scene, I'll remember the actual ending and remember that there are actually two tributes to the Raiders truck scene here, one indoors and one outdoors.

I give Iron Man
, and yes, it's newer, hipper, funnier, etc., but it's still not Indy. I'll admit that it's got less dead weight than Indy 4 and that it's just starting while Indy's flame is going out, but I'm glad to have another installment. I really am wondering if they just had to get this one out of the way so they could pass the torch to the next Indy, so they went ahead with it, even though, the way I recall it, Lucas kept rejecting it because he said the script was never up to snuff, and then, all of a sudden, the news was "we're filming it and filming it quickly!"

Just saw it... I don't know what to say.

I will say it was not as good as any of the previous three... obviously.
But I was still entertained... It was a fun movie, and the crystal skull artifact / (ending) is the kind of stuff that I love reading about (and watching youtube videos about).

I won't give anything away... but it's been 19 years since they made The Last Crusade, so I knew that they could never live up to the hype.

One thing I will say that is bad about the movie, is that it looks like a lot of the movie was filmed inside a Hollywood Studio, where as the originals were shot on specific locations... this is why you feel like this one doesn't belong with the other three (and the special effects).

It's like Jordan and the Wizards... not near as good as Jordan and the Bulls, but it's still Jordan.

Originally Posted by mark f
Even so, I still enjoyed the golden oldies on the soundtrack, Area 51, "Howdy Doody", the motorcycle chase, finding the Crystal Skull (even if it was too easy), going into the Amazon, the chase scene along the cliffs, the waterfalls, the "Daddy-O", and the actual ending of the film was pretty perfect. It was the elaborate payoff scene with skulls and the "City of Gold" which was too long and laborious...
Except for the waterfalls (more Wile E. Coyote than Indiana Jones in my book), I agree with pretty much all of that. Thinking back on it, the motorcycle chase around town and through the campus is probably my favorite bit of action. It was good, ol' fashioned stunt work like the first movie...unlike, say, every single thing that happens after they leave the States.

But the equestrian = class formula remains in tact. In the first flick the great truck chase starts on horseback, in the second movie we get elephants and mine shaft cars, in the third movie back to chasing tanks on horseback and riding into the sunset, and in the fourth movie a jet car and amphibious transport. I'll take movies one and three over two and four every day of the week. It's a simple forumla: put Indy on a frippin' horsie. Also it may just be a coincidence, but the mythology of the Judeo-Christian artifacts is much cleaner and makes for better pay-offs than the Asian and South American legends. Also Indy must fight Nazis, not the Thuggee left over from Gunga Din and some uninteresting Commies (I thought the Red Scare stuff in Crystal Skull was pretty basic and hamfisted).

Anyway, saddle up!