M. Night Shyamalan's The Happening

Tools    

I saw the trailer for this last night in the theater.

I think M. Night is an awesome storyteller and his films never fail to blow my mind.

Can't wait for this one.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
NEW TRAILER

I got for good luck my black tooth.
When I saw the title of this, I couldn't help but wonder if it had something to do with the Warhol factory. I'm guessing: no.

Lets put a smile on that block
I’m loving the posters and marketing for this. But I have something to admit. As time is going on, and especially after watching the 4 minute clip introduced by Shyamalangadingdong, I have my worries. The pacing looks very odd, along with the music and im worried it’s not going to work and the film is just relying on heavy gore and shocks (Have you checked out the redband trailers? If not, DO! Looks horrifying!).

Anyone who knows me here knows that I’m a huuuuuuge fan of M.Night, and his style is very recognisable. The acting is very sedated, almost unemotional and wooden, but very direct, and this really works for him. So sometimes seeing some of his scenes out of context can often make them look wooden and badly acted, which isn’t the case at all. So far. But I just don’t rate Wahlberg as an actor, and I was really worred by this choice as up till now, M.Night has used some really hgh calibre people, but after watching that 4 minute clip. Im worried.

I really really hope my fears aren’t realised. It can’t happen! (SEE WHAT I DID THERE? HAAR HARheha…)

I don't care too much about posters and taglines in the broad scheme of things. Besides, the tagline, to me, is just a way of telling his fans "okay, okay, sorry about that last one. I'll get back to doing what I do best."

But I've gotta agree with blibb...I'm a big Night fan myself, but I have a sneaking suspicion this one's going to be just okay. I think it'll be a nice improvement from his last two flicks, but not up to par with anything before that.

I like the basic idea, but the timeline of this coming together is a little odd, and I think there's a chance it may have been rushed a bit. But also like blibb, I very much hope I'm wrong. Movies are better with Night at the top of his game, and I think it's fair to say we've seen a big dropoff since Signs.

A system of cells interlinked
I'm looking forward to it. I enjoy all his stuff on some level, yes, even Lady in the Water.

What do you mean blacked out?? Variety have theirs up. Its not awful...but its not great either.

Im so sad by this. But i hafl expected it :(

Yeah, I was musing about the decision to open this the same weekend as The Incredible Hulk last week. (I says) even if Hulky is just so-so it still seems a pretty poor decision to open this on the same Friday. I think we are going to go and see it but I'm not sure how many others will. I think it looks pretty damn good btw. :yup:

I 100% agree PW. I never ever read the reviews. Several of his films have received bad reviews that I have never agreed with at all so im still slightly optimistic. My biggest concern is Whalberg (sp?). I don’t think he is a great choice for a main star.
Also, because it was the first industry comment on the film, i read the Variety summary.

A system of cells interlinked
Blacked out:

RT doesn't have any reviews collected, and it's two days before wide release. Most films are set in the "Opening" sidebar a while before opening day, and reviews start to collect as critics get in to see early screenings.

I did find one review on the webz, with the guy stating it's abysmal.

I will see for myself, of course.

I concur also. Most reviewers have pretty strong opinions about the guy already, and they aren't usually able to set them aside for his latest offering. And, though he's left himself wide open to it, they engage in way too much psychological conjecture.

That said, I'm a huge Night fan, but I'm not bouncing off the walls over this one. I do think it'll be a step back towards his older, better films, but just a step. I don't think it'll be the grand return to form so many of us have been hoping for.