Watchmen

Tools    

North American Scum!
Ditto above. Just finished and it was something so unexplainably unique. In short loved it and I hope that this translates well on screen. As for the ending:

I'm disappointed if they change it but it won't destroy the movie for me. UsualSuspects brings up a good point but hopefully it will make enough sense.

WARNING: "Watchmen graphic novel" spoilers below
P.S. Did anyone feel like a little piece of them died when Dr.Manhattan killed Rosarch? I know I sure did.

Lets put a smile on that block
Rumours have been debunked and confirmed both by statements from audience members of test screenings and Zach S himself. Check them out HERE (WARNING SPOILER CITY!)

Rumours have been debunked and confirmed both by statements from audience members of test screenings and Zach S himself. Check them out HERE (WARNING SPOILER CITY!)
This would be a great disappointment.

The film can be good, but given the unliklihood of another cinematic version more accurate to the Moore story, this would be very disappointing.

Certainly, one can enjoy two versions of a story that share the same title, but distinguishing between them is important for anyone who wants to think critically about what the differences mean.

Maybe this is just an attempt to surprise audiences with the real ending--worthy of the Comedian...

No squid = Upset for fans. I hope this works. I am a huge fan of the book, and to see one of the most anticipated films fall into pieces would definitely disappoint me.

Watchmen is going to be making its way into IMAX. I have no local IMAX theater around here. So, I actually might have to drive to another state.

No squid = Upset for fans. I hope this works. I am a huge fan of the book, and to see one of the most anticipated films fall into pieces would definitely disappoint me.
Understood. Again, I am sure the film as a text itself will work. Jackson's The Lord of the Rings works by itself. So do the Harry Potter films. Watchmen will probably do the same. The problem is the original story (damn that primary text upon which all this is built!). Because the printed story came first, people have an insane notion that the film will reflect it accurately. Thus, the problem presents itself: fans of the book have expectations, and the director, influenced by writers, producers, and film studios, will make a story that addresses their interests and influences. Changes from book to film are expected and reasonable, given the variables of each experience. It is the occasional (or not-so occasional) change to character or event in the story that causes unnecessary alterations to the original story.

there's a frog in my snake oil
WARNING: "reply to sharkfan" spoilers below

"I am not at all convinced that the alien would be too much. With movies in the recent past that use large monsters to convince an audience that the story is serious, there is no reason to think the ending would need changing."

You miss my point. It's not that aliens can't be created reasonably viscerally on-screen - it's that we've already been told that this alien is a cinematic-mock-up, in story. Hence our suspension of disbelief is being stretched on several levels: We're being reminded of the cinematic-trickery on display at the worst possible time IE just when we're expected to buy into a horrifically destroyed vision of New York (which will require lots of cinematic trickery in itself). It risks undermining the effectiveness of both elements. I just think it's a huge technical & 'narrative' challenge when done on film.

---

See below for my thoughts on whether Manhatten is 'otherworldy' enough

WARNING: "on outside influences" spoilers below

Usual wrote...
"Manhattan is NOT other-worldly enough for me. He fought for the AMERICAN side in the war. If he was targeted as the main reason for the destruction in the end, the world would not unite, they would attack AMERICA. Since he was AMERICAN.

Then again, we don't know if he just 'attacks' America, or other parts of the world.

Just my thoughts on it."

In the book only the US is attacked, and it would make a lot of sense if they stuck with that, to at least alleviate his previous associations. (But hell, if he attacked everyone, that would also be convincing as an 'outside threat' - especially with his base being on Mars and what have you)

I agree his previous affiliation is a sticking point - but he has already been painted as so inhumanly 'objective' in personality & physically freaky in nature that everyone finds being near him an 'alien' experience. That much is already ingrained in his public image. To have him then 'transcend' to Mars surely gives him all your major qualities of an alien being. Freaky talking, matter-moulding, giant glowing blue guy on Mars. Who starts attacking everyone. = Alien bastard.

WARNING: "reply to sharkfan" spoilers below

"You miss my point. It's not that aliens can't be created reasonably viscerally on-screen - it's that we've already been told that this alien is a cinematic-mock-up, in story. Hence our suspension of disbelief is being stretched on several levels: We're being reminded of the cinematic-trickery on display at the worst possible time IE just when we're expected to buy into a horrifically destroyed vision of New York (which will require lots of cinematic trickery in itself). It risks undermining the effectiveness of both elements. I just think it's a huge technical & 'narrative' challenge when done on film."

I do not miss your point. I'd better respond to your point if I knew what you meant by "cinematic-mock-up" or "cinematic-trickery" though. However, you are saying that it would not work in the film. Yet it works visually in the book--quite well. My point is that Moore's story as he tells it would work on screen. Changing the ending is just another unnecessary change that has been a planned deception since Snyder claimed the ending was the same. This is set up just like Peter Jackson's "faithful" portrayal of Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings. The same things that are happening here happened then. Again, that is not to say the movie would not work well, but it is to say that said changes would be enough to warrant the story as Watchmen related but not Watchmen. Thus, you can understand why fans of the book--the people Snyder was believed to be addressing as well as modern audiences unfamiliar with the material--would be upset by this change of direction, an unecessary directional change.

WARNING: "on outside influences" spoilers below

"In the book only the US is attacked, and it would make a lot of sense if they stuck with that, to at least alleviate his previous associations. (But hell, if he attacked everyone, that would also be convincing as an 'outside threat' - especially with his base being on Mars and what have you)

I agree his previous affiliation is a sticking point - but he has already been painted as so inhumanly 'objective' in personality & physically freaky in nature that everyone finds being near him an 'alien' experience. That much is already ingrained in his public image. To have him then 'transcend' to Mars surely gives him all your major qualities of an alien being. Freaky talking, matter-moulding, giant glowing blue guy on Mars. Who starts attacking everyone. = Alien bastard. "

The problem with this point and others--in parts, not in whole--is that it at least seems to serve to justify the changes in the film at the expense of the original story. Without the original text, there is no film. Yet what is one of the most memorable elements of the book, as many readers will attest to, has supposedly been changed for ____ reasons. I am sure some fans will overlook this--they have--and others will not. Regardless, fans of the book should let their enthusiasm for Moore's story justify changes to the story for the whims of movie makers: rather, they should think about how their favored story is being told on screen and what that means in the larger scope of things. They should think about said changes critically and not make excuses for film alterations that are unnecessary to what is already a fantastic story.
I think this is a good dialogue, regardless of how anyone thinks about the film. I am glad to be in a time when anyone actually can talk about the distinction between the film story and page story that share the same title.

Visually, the posters look interesting. But the added text with each one, at least to me, portrays characters in ways not like their graphic novel familiars.

I saw Kevin smith recently and he confirmed there would be no squid, but said that Zack ended the movie in a way that makes sense and won't be a letdown.

I saw Kevin smith recently and he confirmed there would be no squid, but said that Zack ended the movie in a way that makes sense and won't be a letdown.
That's good to know at least

Can I just say that I don't fully understand the magnitude of hype this film is getting? I mean, I read the novel and it was really good, but I'm not really sure why this is supposed to be one of the biggest comic book adaptations ever. There wasn't really much action in it...I predict a major anticlimax...

There is no reason to agree with Smith or accept his claim, particularly since he seemed hyped about the movie and said that Synder pulled off Watchmen on screen, which it seems that he is not doing. Yet the film may work by itself.

Regardless, Watchmen will be good because its a movie I've been anticipating more than any other film for 2009. So, Kevin Smith (doesn't he make comedies anyways) saw the movie and said it was good. The film will still move me, to see my so-far favorite book on the big screen. I thought 300 was alright though, but never-the-less I hope the film turns out great, as well.

New trailer is here: http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/watc...ml?showVideo=1

It's looks amazing, the only problem I really have with it, was that I expected Manhatten's voice to be a little deeper.

Does anyone know the song they used in the trailer? I want to download it, but I don't know the name.

Does anyone know the song they used in the trailer? I want to download it, but I don't know the name.
I just wanted to say that you have like the best username ever. What was your inspiration?

Something by Muse.