The Time Travellers Wife (2008)

Tools    

Lets put a smile on that block
Finally at last production has finished on Robert Schwentkes adaptation of Audrey Niffenegger’s excellent 2003 novel, The Time Travellers Wife.

For those of you who haven't read it, it’s a superb read and a truly original story about Clare and Henry. Clare first meets Henry when she is 6 years old and he is in his 40’s. However Henry first meets Clare when he is in his 20’s. This is possible because Henry suffers with a rare genetic disorder that causes him to involuntarily travel through time. Its described as being similar to having an epileptic fit and is brought on by the same causes, however Henry will disappear for minutes, hours and sometimes days to a different time, always connected to his own timeline though (So he wont be like, running away from Dinosaurs or anything). So for example, there is a great moment in the book that involves the death of a member of his family, and because it was such a large event in his life, he cannot help but travel back to it over and over again. However, due to Clare becoming such a large part of his life when they fall in love, he begins to travel back to her past as well, seeing her all through her life. The book is basically the story of Henry and Clare and how amidst his disorder, they fall in love and try to make a family. Its lovely lovely stuff. Brilliant reading with some fantastic characters and a truly original style of writing.

With a screenplay by Jeremy Leven and Bruce Joel Rubin, the film has Eric Bana in the lead as Henry and the lovely Rachel McAdams as Clare. It’s due for release this summer with a trailer expected any time now.

I’m curious as to how they are going to tell the story, because with Henry’s condition, it takes place over a series of times, dates and locations, often overlapping and jumping backwards and forwards through different episodes in both Clares and Henry’s life. The narrative style will have to be handled really well for this film to work. Im crossing my fingers...

Lost in never never land
That is a very interesting premise for a film, and it would be great if they can do it justice. I'm always concerned about adaptations of books, especially books that are good (or in this case sound good since I haven't read it).
I wish, I wish he'd go away."
-From Identity

The Adventure Starts Here!
The book IS good. I encourage everyone to read it. And although I think it'll be daunting to do this well as a movie, I also think it's quite do-able with some care surrounding the original material.

The book IS good. I encourage everyone to read it. And although I think it'll be daunting to do this well as a movie, I also think it's quite do-able with some care surrounding the original material.
Yeah it really is a great book. I would certainly rank it amongst my favourites. I had to finish it alone in my room as i knew by the end i would be sobbing like a giant sweaty baby. And i was. I dont think I have ever blubbed so much over any book or film.

I also think its do-able as well, as long as they can figure out a good way to move the story along. Although, Henry (Bana) spends most of the story butt naked. So this could be...interesting...

Haunted Heart, Beautiful Dead Soul
i so love this book. i just hope the movie stacks up to the book. i like the casting of rachel mcadams, i kinda saw her face as claire when i was reading it.

the ending of the book made me cry as i sat on a plane bound for home and didn't want to be on that plane. here's to the hope they get it right!!!!

New images...

There hasnt been much buzz about this what so ever. It bothers me slightly. Its slated for a 2008 release but still no trailer. I wonder whats going on?

If they balls up one of my favourite books, i will have a fury like no other.

The Adventure Starts Here!
These are good shots, though, blib. I think they got the look of the two main characters right -- at least compared to what's been in my mind. They both have the right look.

I'm assuming that last shot is of her in the field area where he keeps reappearing....where she met him as a child?

Boy, I hope they get the back-and-forth switches right in this one. The directing will have to be subtle and accurate and focused for this to work, IMHO....

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
I read the book but it didn't thrill me the way it does so many others. Therefore I hope the movie is better than the book.

I love the story concept but I didn't like the way the story went.

For me the best part was the ability to have closure with your loved one even after death.

Still there was a great deal that didn't make sense to me at all. One big glaring one was, that the lead character couldn't drive a car but could care for a child because of his special condition? How does that make any sense? Those sorts of inconsistencies were difficult for me to let pass. I'd much prefer you smash a car than drop a baby.

When in the HOLY HELMET ARE THEY GOING TO RELEASE A TRAILER FOR THIS?

I mean it's being released in December.

This doesnt bode well that they are not hyping up the marketing for this. It worries me it could be a pile of crud, and the studio knows it. Which, would be a massive travesty as the book is wonderful.

I didn't even know they were making this! I love this book! I read it after someone here recommended it a few years ago and it's definitely one of the best books I've read. The casting seems amazing (Bana exceeded all my expectations. The man is gorgeous!). Unfortunately I'll have to agree with the last post, it's more than suspicious that they're keeping this so low key...

I am burdened with glorious purpose
They still haven't released a trailer for The Road, either. I keep checking because I can't wait and I did love that book.

So maybe it isn't that unusual.

To tell you the truth, I got to page 49 of the book and I wasn't interested at all. I quit. This book came highly recommended and this thread is full of people that loved it, but I just wasn't interested...

Maybe I'll like the movie?

Haunted Heart, Beautiful Dead Soul
When in the HOLY HELMET ARE THEY GOING TO RELEASE A TRAILER FOR THIS?

I mean it's being released in December.

This doesnt bode well that they are not hyping up the marketing for this. It worries me it could be a pile of crud, and the studio knows it. Which, would be a massive travesty as the book is wonderful.

i feel the same way. i spent 30 mins looking for a trailer and came up empty handed. lets hope its an amazing film experince!!!

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
This is the first I've heard of a movie version. Like many others on the thread, I loved the book so I hope they get the film version right...I would be wary about going to see this in a cinema, though, I finished reading the book in a park in Rome crying my eyes out, and I'd prefer not to repeat the experience of crying in public...