Thunderbolt's 2021 Movie Diary

Tools    

95 Movies Watched

105 Remaining

Another fairly slow month of viewing as everyday life takes over my love of movie watching. Still well on target to hit 200 views and almost at the halfway point.

Victim of The Night

84. Curse of the Werewolf (1961) DVD rewatch
Hammer Studios did a fine job with this Werewolf entry. Some may be frustrated not seeing the Werewolf until the final 10 mins but it’s all about the internal struggle of the protagonist until the great finale.
Yeah, this is one of the few really good Werewolf Movies.
As you say, dwelling even more than The Wolf Man on the struggle someone afflicted with werewolfery pays off for this film.

Victim of The Night

85. Return of the Living Dead (1985) TV rewatch
Haven’t seen this in a while but it’s just as I remembered it. Over the top but good fun.
One of my all-time favorite films.

Victim of The Night

95. She Wolf of London (1946) DVD rewatch
This is branded as a Universal monster film but this is actually quite misleading. In no way connected to the Wolf man cycle, this is more of a mystery disguised as something else. A few atmospheric moments but perhaps slightly desperate on trying to cash in on the success of another film.
I am a huge fan of this one. I didn't have any issues with the film I thought it played perfectly for what it was.

96. Commando (1985) DVD rewatch
Early over the top Schwarzenegger action movie sees him on a race against the clock to find his kidnapped daughter. I’m not a major action movie fan but I will gladly watch anything that Arnie stars in from the 80s/early 90s. This is certainly a guilty pleasure film with so many editing errors, but this adds to the charm of the over the top ridiculousness. Packed full of cheesy one liners, this is entertaining stuff which I can lose myself in again and again.

96. Commando (1985) DVD rewatch
Early over the top Schwarzenegger action movie sees him on a race against the clock to find his kidnapped daughter. I’m not a major action movie fan but I will gladly watch anything that Arnie stars in from the 80s/early 90s. This is certainly a guilty pleasure film with so many editing errors, but this adds to the charm of the over the top ridiculousness. Packed full of cheesy one liners, this is entertaining stuff which I can lose myself in again and again.
gosh been long time i seen this movie

98. Winchester ’73 (1950) DVD rewatch (new purchase)
After recently reviewing this from a TV watch, I enjoyed the movie enough to buy it on DVD. My second viewing has not disappointed with a great performance from James Stewart.

99. Burial ground (1981) DVD rewatch
After a professor uncovers an ancient burial ground on a couples property, the dead rise and attack them and their guests.
This euro horror probably has the worst looking zombies brought to screen. The acting is bottom of the barrel too but it does have an entertaining quality to it. Zombies attack with garden tools and scale walls to break into the mansion which I’ll give it it’s dues, I have never seen before. If you love B movies then this may be right up your street. Pretty bad but enjoyable. It also has the freakiest looking child character I have ever seen before.

Introducing Michael!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

98. Winchester ’73 (1950) DVD rewatch (new purchase)
After recently reviewing this from a TV watch, I enjoyed the movie enough to buy it on DVD. My second viewing has not disappointed with a great performance from James Stewart.

I'm not a big fan of westerns, but Winchester ’73 made my Top 25 Western Movies list.

100. Best Laid Plans (1999) DVD rewatch
I wanted to make my 100th view a special one and this is definitely in my top 10 of all time. I saw this on it’s release and have seen it countless times since. A great neo noir with a razor sharp intelligent script. There’s plenty of slick camera work and a plot with so many twists and turns it’s hard to see what’s coming next.
I really felt for the lead character and his determination to get out of the town he has lived his whole life. But things are never simple as Nick (Alessandro Nivola) finds out. With his promised inheritance falling flat on it’s face, his friends from the past and present start to show their true colours. Where there is money there is also greed, deceit and spite.

101. Rio Bravo (1959) DVD rewatch (new purchase)
Watched this a few months ago and purchased it recently so I have given this a repeated view. Getting into quite a few John Wayne movies this year.

I forgot the opening line.

100. Best Laid Plans (1999) DVD rewatch
I wanted to make my 100th view a special one and this is definitely in my top 10 of all time. I saw this on it’s release and have seen it countless times since. A great neo noir with a razor sharp intelligent script. There’s plenty of slick camera work and a plot with so many twists and turns it’s hard to see what’s coming next.
I really felt for the lead character and his determination to get out of the town he has lived his whole life. But things are never simple as Nick (Alessandro Nivola) finds out. With his promised inheritance falling flat on it’s face, his friends from the past and present start to show their true colours. Where there is money there is also greed, deceit and spite.
Saw this for the first time only a few months ago. Half a dozen plot twists and turns I really didn't see coming. I thought it was inventive and really good - Josh Brolin was fantastic in it.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

103. Smallfoot (2018) DVD rewatch
Another family movie night and this was one of the more enjoyable animated efforts I’ve seen in a while.

I watched Smallfoot recently and I thought it was a cute movie. It was much better than I expected it to be.

105. Behemoth the Sea Monster (1959) DVD rewatch
British atomic era B movie. Would have been nice for a little more of the stop motion effects but this was pretty enjoyable.

106. The Sons of Katie Elder (1965) DVD rewatch
Saw this many years ago but couldn’t remember anything of it. All the action takes place in the last 30 mins but it’s well worth the wait.