Most disappointing movies you ever saw in the cinema/theater?

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Us (2019)

Well, as a disclaimer - I do not get Marvel, for what that’s worth, but Endgame on the big screen was agony. I spent the time texting and daydreaming and whatnot. Not even ashamed.

I'll throw a curveball into the mix by saying the most disappointing cinema experience was after I got used to watching movies at home, and then decided to go watch Armageddon in a multiplex cinema. A good movie, but boy did I miss my pause button and bed and privacy. It was too loud, too crowded, popcorn too expensive, some weird hangup with me bringing a six-pack of beer in with me. If I can't even pause a movie to take a dump, the experience is ruined for me.

How can this possibly compete with my home theater system?

I think your first mistake was watching Armageddon.
Don't tell me you didn't cry at the end!

I'd say Highlander II (except I saw both this one and the original on VHS). I saw the third one in the theater, but it did little to make amends.
Highlander II did to Highlander what the prequel trilogy did to the original trilogy (Star Wars). It explains what didn't need to be explained and bores the audience with details they didn't need.

But it was also so much worse. To think that Connery signed on for this, but didn't sign on for Lord of the Rings.

The only interesting bit is that it was rather prescient in predicting global ecological disaster.

Highlander II did to Highlander what the prequel trilogy did to the original trilogy (Star Wars). It explains what didn't need to be explained and bores the audience with details they didn't need.

But it was also so much worse. To think that Connery signed on for this, but didn't sign on for Lord of the Rings.

The only interesting bit is that it was rather prescient in predicting global ecological disaster.
I always wondered what Star Trek V would have been if Connery had played Sybok.

I always wondered what Star Trek V would have been if Connery had played Sybok.
Still would have been a stinker. Shatner was directing.

Captain Kirk is climbing a mountain. Why is he climbing a mountain?

Duplicate Account (locked)
Well, as a disclaimer - I do not get Marvel, for what that’s worth, but Endgame on the big screen was agony. I spent the time texting and daydreaming and whatnot. Not even ashamed.

You mean avengers endgame right? I had some memories in mind i was going to post...of being a teenager and being a stoner, getting bored and not paying attention to movies...

but that movie was torture! I saw it cuz some young college age girls in my creative writing class (at a community college) were talking about how amazing the series was, and i saw the ads and thought this was nothing that i was that into but i was gonna watch it anyways because it was a popular thing and i wanted to see the zeitgeist for that purpose alone. I thought hey if it's bad it will be funny and i can make fun of it.

Never will i go to the movies with that intent ever again! Popular does not mean good! It was 3 ****ing hours long, and it was NOT FUNNY. I think I genuinely laughed once: so many bad jokes. I brought my mom with me cuz she likes to go to movies, i asked her half the way through "i really hate this movie how bout we just leave?", and she said "no let's stay and watch the whole thing."

However, i did watch one of the prequels later and thought it was better at home, out of sick curiosity since i didn't get the references. I asked the girl in my class specifically if i needed to understand the previous movies and she said no, but for whatever f*cking reason she was wrong. Maybe she was trying to convert me and just lied.

I didn't cry at the end.

Boo!!!!

You mean avengers endgame right? I had some memories in mind i was going to post...of being a teenager and being a stoner, getting bored and not paying attention to movies...

but that movie was torture! I saw it cuz some young college age girls in my creative writing class (at a community college) were talking about how amazing the series was, and i saw the ads and thought this was nothing that i was that into but i was gonna watch it anyways because it was a popular thing and i wanted to see the zeitgeist for that purpose alone. I thought hey if it's bad it will be funny and i can make fun of it.

Never will i go to the movies with that intent ever again! Popular does not mean good! It was 3 ****ing hours long, and it was NOT FUNNY. I think I genuinely laughed once: so many bad jokes. I brought my mom with me cuz she likes to go to movies, i asked her half the way through "i really hate this movie how bout we just leave?", and she said "no let's stay and watch the whole thing."

However, i did watch one of the prequels later and thought it was better at home, out of sick curiosity since i didn't get the references. I asked the girl in my class specifically if i needed to understand the previous movies and she said no, but for whatever f*cking reason she was wrong. Maybe she was trying to convert me and just lied.
Yes, Endgame. The Extended-whatever-universe thingie is getting increasingly cumbersome, so unless you Google what’s what as you go, you do need some background knowledge. Which is another thing that annoys me. I’m fairly open to being converted on most things film, but hasn’t worked so far with Marvel. Curious that your mum sat through it. In the interest of fairness, I thought X Men: First Class was bearable because Lensherr and Xavier had a relationship that seemed to ground the rest of the idiocy. But that was a while back, so I might judge it harsher now.

Duplicate Account (locked)
Yes, Endgame. The Extended-whatever-universe thingie is getting increasingly cumbersome, so unless you Google what’s what as you go, you do need some background knowledge. Which is another thing that annoys me. I’m fairly open to being converted on most things film, but hasn’t worked so far with Marvel. Curious that your mum sat through it. In the interest of fairness, I thought X Men: First Class was bearable because Lensherr and Xavier had a relationship that seemed to ground the rest of the idiocy. But that was a while back, so I might judge it harsher now.

I thought every Deadpool was entertaining and good, i wasn't even a fan of any of that stuff before i saw the movies. The x-men movies were definetly more decent than Endgame but it has been a while.

I thought every Deadpool was entertaining and good, i wasn't even a fan of any of that stuff before i saw the movies. The x-men movies were definetly more decent than Endgame but it has been a while.
Oh, yes, good point. Deadpool was quite good. I thought there was a touch too much melodrama towards the end, but I guess that’s my incurable cynicism. It was definitely very entertaining and lingers in the memory. And proper fight scenes, too.

The Lone Ranger (2013). I was stunned at how bad, disparaging and mean spirited this was.

I'd expected a modern depiction of the great Lone Ranger story, ala the way Superman has been treated. Instead we got deprecation and sarcasm.

Johnny Depp looked ridiculous, and all his scripted jokes fell flat. I often wonder how many parents took their kids to see that movie, and were shocked at the product.