My 30 Favorite 80's Movies

Tools    

Introduction

All I got to say is 80's is one of my favorite decades for cinema and enjoyed all the different kinds of movies throughout the 80's. There's plenty of curveballs to be thrown around on this list, so please sit back and enjoy

I'll be doing two entries each day

Reviews: Some entries will have small or more writing with quotes. I'm not that much into writing big essay reviews and may have a few words repeated.

Let's get this list started shall we

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

#30.

The Breakfast Club (1985)
Director: John Hughes
Writer: John Hughes
Cast: Emilio Estevez, Judd Nelson, Molly Ringwald
Genre: Comedy and Drama
Runtime: 1 Hour and 37 Minutes
Rated R

For a movie with not much going on, what I found good about it is how the movie explores the different kind of stereotypes in high school, you got the geek, the jock, the outcast, the rich pretty-girl snob, and the future criminal and seeing how they change throughout the movie and realizing they have more in common than they ever imagined.

“We’re All Pretty Bizarre. Some Of Us Are Just Better At Hiding It; That’s All.” - Andrew Clark played by Emilio Estevez

#29.

Ghostbusters (1984)
Director: Ivan Reitman
Writers: Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis
Cast: Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Sigourney Weaver
Genre: Action, Comedy, Fantasy
Runtime: 1 Hour and 45 Minutes
Rated PG

Not much of a fan of paranormal ghost stuff but with this movie, I found it an interesting one and the cast was great in it. There were a few laughs here and there and it was fun seeing the Ghostbusters go into action and catching those mean ghosts. Also I got say that this film has one of the best movie themes in cinema.

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman played by Bill Murray

#28.

The Lost Boys (1987)
Director: Joel Schumacher
Writers: Jan Fischer (story) (as Janice Fischer), James Jeremias (story)
Cast: Jason Patric, Corey Haim, Dianne Wiest
Genre: Comedy and Horror
Rated R

A cool and weird vampire movie from the 80s with a cast that did a good job in the film. I like the fact that this movie doesn't take itself too serious and able to have some humor in it as well. This movie was sure a fun one to watch and wished they made more movies like these in recent times or atleast make a nice serious one and not turn them into friendly creampuff creatures.

"One thing about living in Santa Carla I never could stomach; all the damn vampires." - Grandpa played by Barnard Hughes

#27.

A Christmas Story (1983)
Director: Bob Clark
Writers: Jean Shepherd, Leigh Brown, Bob Clark
Cast: Peter Billingsley, Melinda Dillon, Darren McGavin
Genre: Comedy and Family
Runtime: 1 Hour and 33 Minutes
Rated PG

A great classic Christmas movie that me and my family watch every year when opening presents on Christmas day. This film had some good memorable scenes filling up with laughter and a well paced plot with exciting characters and showing us how it was like to ask for that certain thing for Christmas as a kid and not knowing if you're going to get it or not.

"Be sure to drink your Ovaltine. Ovaltine? A crummy commercial? Son of a b*tch!" - Ralphie Parker played by Peter Billingsley

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
#30.

The Breakfast Club (1985)
Director: John Hughes
Writer: John Hughes
Cast: Emilio Estevez, Judd Nelson, Molly Ringwald
Genre: Comedy and Drama
Rated R

For a movie with not much going on, what I found good about it is how the movie explores the different kind of stereotypes in high school, you got the geek, the jock, the outcast, the rich pretty-girl snob, and the future criminal and seeing how they change throughout the movie and realizing they have more in common than they ever imagined.

“We’re All Pretty Bizarre. Some Of Us Are Just Better At Hiding It; That’s All.” - Andrew Clark played by Emilio Estevez

The Breakfast Club is one of those movies that I find myself watching every time I'm flipping channels and I find it on TV, regardless of how far into the movie it is at the time, but it probably wouldn't make my top movies list. There's something that always seems to draw me into it, but I never really have the desire to go looking for the DVD and watch it from start to finish.

#29.

Ghostbusters (1984)
Director: Ivan Reitman
Writers: Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis
Cast: Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Sigourney Weaver
Genre: Action, Comedy, Fantasy
Runtime: 1 Hour and 45 Minutes
Rated PG

Not much of a fan of paranormal ghost stuff but with this movie, I found it an interesting one and the cast was great in it. There were a few laughs here and there and it was fun seeing the Ghostbusters go into action and catching those mean ghosts. Also I got say that this film has one of the best movie themes in cinema.

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman played by Bill Murray

I always found Bill Murray to be very annoying when he was on "Saturday Night Live", but I thought he was great in Ghostbusters. He's the reason that I love this movie. (Him and the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man. )

#28.

The Lost Boys (1987)
Rated R

A cool and weird vampire movie from the 80s with a cast that did a good job in the film. I like the fact that this movie doesn't take itself too serious and able to have some humor in it as well. This movie was sure a fun one to watch and wished they made more movies like these in recent times or at least make a nice serious one and not turn them into friendly creampuff creatures.

"One thing about living in Santa Carla I never could stomach; all the damn vampires." - Grandpa played by Barnard Hughes

I saw The Lost Boys at a sneak preview several months before it was released. We weren't told anything about the movie before going into the screening, except for the taglines that are on the movie poster, ("Sleep all day. Party all night. Never grow old. Never die."), and the title of the movie, ("The Lost Boys"). Based on those words, we thought we were going to see a movie about Peter Pan.

I usually don't like vampire movies, but I actually liked this movie. I think maybe it's because it was more fun than other vampire movies. However the one scene that I remember hating was the scene when they're eating, and the rice turns into maggots. That was disgusting. Other than that scene, it's a good movie.

#28.

The Lost Boys (1987)
Rated R

A cool and weird vampire movie from the 80s with a cast that did a good job in the film. I like the fact that this movie doesn't take itself too serious and able to have some humor in it as well. This movie was sure a fun one to watch and wished they made more movies like these in recent times or atleast make a nice serious one and not turn them into friendly creampuff creatures.

3rd best vampire film of the decade.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)
Director: Steven Spielberg
Writers: Willard Huyck (screenplay by), Gloria Katz (screenplay by)
Cast: Harrison Ford, Kate Capshaw, Ke Huy Quan
Genre: Action and Adventure
Runtime: 1 Hour and 58 Minutes
Rated PG

Not as good as the other two indy films in the 80s but Harrison Ford as Indy never disappoints and still makes this film a fun and exciting adventure. Also he has two new sidekicks in this movie named Short Round (a funny Chinese kid) and Willy (a hot high maintenance woman) As they wind up in India, they must help this village save these kidnapped children that's held as human enslavement inside the catacombs of an ancient palace.

"Are you trying to develop a sense of humor or am I going deaf?" - Indiana Jones played by Harrison Ford

#25.

Rambo: First Blood Part 2 (1985)
Director: George P. Cosmatos
Writers: David Morrell (based on characters created by), Kevin Jarre (story by)
Stars: Sylvester Stallone, Richard Crenna, Charles Napier
Genre: Action, Adventure, Thriller
Runtime: 1 Hour and 36 Minutes
Rated R

This is what Rambo should have been from the beginning and loved the sequel as it had more action packed scenes and a better story then the original movie. It was cool to see Rambo rip apart this enemy base camp and rescue the people that are held captive there. imo one of the best action movies from the 80's and Stallone does an outstanding job playing as Rambo.

"To survive a war, you gotta become war." - John Rambo played by Sylvester Stallone

#24.

The Karate Kid (1984)
Director: John G. Avildsen
Writer: Robert Mark Kamen
Cast: Ralph Macchio, Pat Morita, Elisabeth Shue
Genre: Action, Drama, Family
Runtime: 2 Hour and 6 Minutes
Rated PG

A nice underdog story about a teenage boy named Daniel that wants to learn self defense after getting bullied in school from the bullies that harass him every time they see him. He gets taught by this handyman named My. Miyagi that works at Daniel's apartment building, which I found their friendship a good touching feeling threw out the film.

"Wax On, Wax Off." - Mr. Miyagi played by Pat Morita

#23.

Commando (1985)
Director: Mark L. Lester
Writers: Jeph Loeb (story) (as Joseph Loeb III), Matthew Weisman (story)
Cast: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Rae Dawn Chong, Dan Hedaya
Genre: Action, Adventure, Thriller
Runtime: 1 Hour and 30 Minutes
Rated R

This film may seem like a cheesy movie but I say one of the best action movies in the 80's. Arnold plays as a retired Delta Force operative who must rescue his daughter from the mercenaries who killed his entire team. I like certain movies like this, the whole don't mess with the retiree or you'll be wishing that you didn't mess with one is cool to see and also seeing if he will save his daughter on time or not.

'You're a funny guy, Sully, I like you. That's why I'm going to kill you last." - John Matrix played by Arnold Schwarzenegger

I always found Bill Murray to be very annoying when he was on "Saturday Night Live", but I thought he was great in Ghostbusters. He's the reason that I love this movie. (Him and the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man. )
I liked him in ghostbusters too, although he's not a favorite of mines. I don't mind his other movies that I've seen him in before

I was an 80s kid, so there's a lot to love here so far. Huge fan of The Breakfast Club, The Karate Kid, and Ghostbusters.

I seriously need to rewatch Commando and The Lost Boys. I don't think I've seen those since, well, the 80s.

My only "reserves" are two: Despite some pretty good setpieces, I borderline dislike Temple of Doom, and although I haven't seen it in decades, I remember not being a fan of the excesses of Rambo. Love First Blood, though, so I hope it is further on the list

Victim of The Night
My only "reserves" are two: Despite some pretty good setpieces, I borderline dislike Temple of Doom, and although I haven't seen it in decades, I remember not being a fan of the excesses of Rambo. Love First Blood, though, so I hope it is further on the list
Agreed on all counts.

#28.

The Lost Boys (1987)
Rated R

gosh loved this movie!

I liked him in ghostbusters too, although he's not a favorite of mines. I don't mind his other movies that I've seen him in before

I haven't seen a lot of his movies, but I liked him in Ghostbusters and Groundhog Day. I didn't like him in Caddyshack and Stripes.

I haven't seen a lot of his movies, but I liked him in Ghostbusters and Groundhog Day. I didn't like him in Caddyshack and Stripes.
I have not seen Caddyshack and Stripes yet but I liked him in groundhog day though , when I watch that movie it reminds me of that horror movie Happy Death Day which is similar to Groundhog Day but it's a slasher horror movie.