Best Movies With Female As Lead Character

Tools    

I thought May was really good. Angela Bettis was new to me and I really liked her performance.

Double Indemnity.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
You guys are picking all the popular ones. I'll say that Saoirse Ronan is excellent in what I've seen so far. I really liked Stockholm, Pennsylvania (2015). She is my pick for the future of best movies with a female as a lead character.

Also you write that “. . . it seems 99% of movies center around men. I’m curious why you or anyone else feels that is the case.

I think so many movies being centered on men and not women means that in general people tend to feel that women’s lives are not as interesting as men’s.
I couldnt disagree more. I dont think people find women less interesting-quite the opposite actually-however we are just so used to women having the supporting act-the wife/mistress/girlfriend- that its become the norm. just look at the hissy fits from men when women are included such as mad max and the ghostbuster remake. Thats because showbiz has been/is controlled by men-women have simply been there for support or a pretty face/body most of the time.
You would have alot more possibilities when writing for a woman-simply because how we view men are very limited-our leading man has the be a certain type for most of the time whereas women have alot broader acceptable emotional range.
But because its been run by men the writing of female characters just hasnt been all that good.

I also find it kinda interesting,when you have a movie with a female lead/s its often regarded a chickflick or a girls movie. and its the same with music-men are not really supposed to be fans of female artist-thats gay. which i find kinda amusing-its gay for a guy to watch/listen to a beautiful girl but its macho to watch/listen to a bunch of dudes.
go figure

Alien/Aliens

Persona
The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant
Inland Empire
Opening Night
Repulsion
Possession
Queen of Earth
The Stendhal Syndrome
Valerie and Her Week of Wonders
[Safe]
Cries and Whispers
Irma Vep
Ms. 45
Millenium Mambo
Like Someone in Love
Through a Glass Darkly
The Night Porter
3 Women
The Addiction
Happy-go-Lucky
The Double Life of Veronique
The Match Factory Girl
Red Road (2006)
Stromboli
Carnaval of Souls
The Dukes of Burgundy
Mulholland Drive

To name a few interesting ones off the top of my head.

These thread titles.......maybe I should open a thread "Movies That You Thought Were Good?"

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
These thread titles.......maybe I should open a thread "Movies That You Thought Were Good?"
Alright, alright, how about this one...

Dangerous Minds

Where does this poster come from? It looks more modern than the familiar ones from the period.

Thelma and Louise in case it isn't mentioned