Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events

→ in
Tools    

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
Went and saw this Christmas Day - well, it wasn't a masterpeice or anything, but I can't say I didn't enjoy my viewing. I thought it was a creative screenplay, to say the least!

I kind of liked it. Jim Carey is always fun to watch. It had an interesting story, even if it was adapted from a children's book. It had quite a bit of depth to it. I always get a kick out of interesting characters--caricatures, rather--and Jim Carey did a great job at the caricaturizations! Also, Meryl Streep was pretty funny too.

Lets put a smile on that block
Originally Posted by darkhorse
It had an interesting story, even if it was adapted from a children's book.
Childrens books often have brilliant stories and characters. Children are very harsh critics so they need to be good to keep the children interested.

This movie is a relic. Very enjoyable. Jim Carrey did a fabulous performance, and the children and the story were great. I just bought the videogame for my Nintendo Gamecube last night. Lots of fun playing along in their world. I think A Series of Unfortunate Events might become a favorite of mine.

Lets put a smile on that block
Have you read the books SC? Theyre great fun once you get past number 6. From 1 to 6 they get very repetitive but from 6 onwards all of a sudden an awsome story starts to evolve, which is where the first film jumps straight to, with the mysterious organisation of VFD! (The organisation with the spy glasses.)

Comes out on dvd very soon, can't wait, two disc special edition. Yum.

Oh, yes. There will be blood....
So with the success of the first movie, I'm really hoping that they continue on with this series and do some sequels. I think all the characters are great and unforgetable, and on a side note, when is the author of these books suppose to end these series (I think there is suppose to be 13?)

im making my way through the book series now. im only on book two, but i haven't been reading them all at once. ill read one then read a bunch of other books and go back and read another. i really enjoy it when an author writes a childrens books and doesn't write make you feel stupid. Peter Pan was a good example of the opposite of this, and Lemony Snicket is another. im really enjoying my readings so far, and read the second one in less than 24 hours. i can't wait until the sequels (theres gonna be some, right?) hopefully they'll get them out there faster than the Harry Potter movies.

I think Tim Burton may have done a better job. Hard to tell. The movie has a lot of great characters and actors to fill them out, but I think the story is rushed alot to fit in a two hours picture. It seems like the director ran out of film and had to fit it all in under two hours. What I mean is that there's a lot of rushing in the storytelling, between the characters and the story's progress.

But, by all means, except from this, the movie was joyable.

Originally Posted by larshjk
I think Tim Burton may have done a better job. Hard to tell. The movie has a lot of great characters and actors to fill them out, but I think the story is rushed alot to fit in a two hours picture. It seems like the director ran out of film and had to fit it all in under two hours. What I mean is that there's a lot of rushing in the storytelling, between the characters and the story's progress.

But, by all means, except from this, the movie was joyable.
i think this rushing is because he jammed maybe two or three books worth of material into one movie. i just finished book 2 and haven't even read about the aunt with the house on the lake yet, or the part at the end of the movie when they go back and read their parents letter. there are i think twelve or thirteen books (and i have no idea if there will be more). im sure they dont' want to make thirteen movies due to the fact that by the time that they finished, the kids would be my age.

anyway, i don't think burton could have done a better job. read the books and you'll see how much spread out it is.