Vast of Night: Simple, tight, effective

Tools    

I agree with what I saw someone else say, that this almost feels like a film school project, but I think that's a compliment: it's a great example of what the medium is capable of. There's such a gap between the underlying "content" of the story and how effectively it draws you in, how much it makes you want to see what happens next. Great example of what film can do.

Anyway, it's free on Amazon Prime and well worth renting for a couple of bucks. Won't say more than that. Great sense of mood and atmosphere, and another example of the way smaller films can (and should!) use a focus on audio as a way to compete with higher-budgeted affairs. It's the cheaper, less-appreciated aspect of filmmaking relative to the blockbusters, I think.

I thoroughly enjoyed this. This was smart. Way smarter than what it seems.

At times it does feel like a student film, but not in a bad way. I loved the long shots and equally long monologues. There was right amount of tension throughout the movie. I had a wide smile on my face when they were talking about the future.

What's also admirable is how they were able to comment on the social issues without making it look forced. It was subtle, and did just perfectly.

But more than anything this took me back to my childhood, when I grew up with Twilight Zone and X files. This felt like that.

I hope a lot more people watch this. This movie deserves a great deal of praise.